My new listening space.....sort of

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
We are buying the house we leased last January. It has a 3 car garage and the P.O. walled off one bay for an office. It is storage now but I'm going to empty it and take it down to bare walls. I'll wall up the garage door opening and add a high window. That will be the speaker end.

I'm thinking about building a floor to window QRD diffuser behind the speakers. I'll do bass traps and absorbers .

I'm open to suggestions.

20170903_222318.jpg 20170903_222335.jpg

Attachments

• 20170903_222335.jpg
    20170903_222335.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Excellent planning, djnagle. I saw earlier mentions of the room you posted and was awaiting an update. Between the incoming bass traps, paint on the ceiling, and hardwood floors, I think it will make an excellent listening room. Comfortable furniture with a throw rug near the center of the room will be the proverbial icing on the cake. Also, if you have grandchildren I'd recommend a lock on the door so as to protect the drivers on your speakers, knob settings on your components, and any assorted bric-a-brac you may situate around the room.

The only techinical aspect I'd focus on is placing some sort of absorption diffusing platforms underneath your speakers and/or subwoofers. I did so last summer in regard to the hardwood floors in my living room and the results were immediate and obviously for the better. The midrange and bass frequencies that were being abosorbed into the floor took flight towards my ears instead and have made listening to music in the room heavenly.

What are the dimensions of room. Hopefully no multiples.
I have a TV room 7' x 14' x 14'. Atleast it has a couple openings.
Good luck. Nice project.

Last edited:
Our closing date is Nov. 15....then the work begins. Great winter project.
Congratulations on the upcoming close and keep us posted on the progress of your impending listening space. Judging by some of the speakers and gear you've posted in the recent past, I get the feeling the space is going to be a site and sight to behold.

Also, I wished you a belated happy birthday a few days ago in the "Happy Birthday to djnagle" thread as started by HarmonKardon. Out of sheer curiosity, did you indulge is some of the culinary delights you mentioned?

I sure did K. Huevos Rancheros now that I am a new Mexican. Years ago I owned a film studio and we built a teal nice sound studio. I will follow those plans but just smaller. Nothing fancy but good sound control.

I sure did K. Huevos Rancheros now that I am a new Mexican. Years ago I owned a film studio and we built a teal nice sound studio. I will follow those plans but just smaller. Nothing fancy but good sound control.
Excellent choice. There's something about the blend of tortillas, salsa, and eggs that simply grabs one's palette. As far as the listening space is concerned, having owned a film studio, I'd bet structuring a listening room in your domicile will prove an order of magnitude less difficult. After all, you're most likely replicating as ideal of a listening environment possible for yourself and a small number of other people versus directing sound within the cavernous confines of a film studio. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing primary issues will be minimizing wall reflection, absorption of bass/standing waves, and diffusion of mid/high frequencies. I almost feel silly about mentioning getting the speakers and subs off the floor after finding out your level of skill. I can't wait to see the final result.

Thanks K. yep, all the things you mentioned will be my focus. This will be the last house we own and I am thinking about removing the garage door and walling it up. I'll draw up plans this weekend and post them.

You've built a sound studio. My comment reads a little foolish. You know what you're doing. I'll follow with interest.
I have what once was full finished basement with listening room. I'm rebuilding after sewage backup and gutting to studs.

We use to film a lot in locations, all industrial not Hollywood. I learned to walk into a space and hear the issues immediately. That was 25 years ago but I think I can still figure it out:rflmao:

I already have 4 subwoofers and bass traps for all 4 corners. I just need to build a diffuser for the front wall behind the speakers and I have a 5x5 ikea storage shelf for my LPs. That will go on the back wall. I also need to build absorbers for the side walls and ceiling.

Currently there are no windows in the room. I would like to put a rectangular window up high in that opening where no one can see in but I'd have some light in the room.

Just talked to a very good and old friend of mine and he will come down to NM from Denver mid December and do the remolding. He has been a contractor for 20 years and still love to get his hands dirty.

The plan is to remove the garage door and wall it up with a window that can open across the top of the opening and moving the door in back of the room out of the back corner and 1/3 towards the front of the room.

The door at the back now does not allow me to put a bass trap in that corner.

We will also pull a lot of power into the space as well.

By the time Armin gets here I'll have the room emptied out....I hope. This shit is no fun for me. I'd rather be building speakers.

No, but based on all these comments, I decided when I move the inside door out of the back corner, I'll replace it with a larger door.

We closed on the house .....yhen my wife broke out her list of what she thinks we should do to the house....surprise surprise, the listening room was not on the list.

We closed on the house .....yhen my wife broke out her list of what she thinks we should do to the house....surprise surprise, the listening room was not on the list.
Like always when dealing with woman, think about it and wait for the right time ;)

Find out exactly what type of music she likes, and I mean down to the artist(s)/track(s) and play it in the space you've designated... Observe the following scenario: It's a relatively cold night in the desert surrounding Albuquerque. The sky is filled with stars and the only ambient noise is that of vehicular traffic in the distance. Since the kids have not come by to visit, it's just the two of you at home. Nothing of genuine interest is on the TV. You've already had dinner and the time to "wind down" and relax has arrived. You observe that she's temporarily distracted by washing the dishes or some such chore/task around the house. You stealthily step away and into the space designated for the impending system, slap together an ad hoc setup of a source/preamp/amp/speakers - to hell with acoustics and speaker placement - and put on exactly the type of music she likes. Set the volume juuuusssstttt high enough to shift her attention away from what she's in the midst of and observe what happens. I'm betting she'll step into the listening space, state that she hasn't heard the tune in rotation in years or how it brings back memories. This is your moment of reckoning. If you observe that she's cold, gently drape her in a blanket/sweater/coat/something made of fabric and explain to her in that oh-so-veteran-of-a-husband manner that even though you're aware of her list/intentions for your new home, you also have an intention of yours that you feel would bring pleasure to the two of you and would prove mutually beneficial. Since I have yet to ever "hear" you use the phrase "man cave" in the time I've been on this site, I know that you're astute enough to use a phrase such as "listening space," "den," or even "rec room" to lessen her resistance to the presence of a dedicated space for your stereo equipment. Mull this over and let us know the results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom