Boomboxes and Ghettoblasters

I got really lucky with mine.I found it at the register of a thrift store.A woman had left it there because there was no sound.Turns out the speaker wires werent connected on the back.

Thatsca national. Im not sure how clear the pictures cone up but its got national right on the front. National rx-c300.

I like boomboxes, tho I'm no expert on the models, I remember their rise and fall.
Even tho everyone lives good home, car and new bluetooth mini speaker stereos, there's nothing like a heftier piece of gear.
I consider them vintage beach and yard hi-fi that is durable, nice and full sounding (to a limit)
I have a small early 80's Panasonic cassette at work thats near bulletproof and a Fisher mini rig with detachable speakers.
I found both at thrifts over the last few years for just a few bucks and a little tune up at home.
Key is that they have Aux inputs for new, packed digital sources, and they can make ok recordings on tape. Nothing like a Minidisc tho.
I put some speaker insulation and clay in the speakers to give a little more "knuckle-test thud" to the sound and was happy to see a genuine 2 way speaker inside.
Some sort of crude metal plate ribbon tweeter setup.
This one I modded for over the shoulder carrying around on the bike
in the memory of the legendary Radio Raheem, boomboxes that sound good are alright by me.
fisher boombox.jpg

I have one I saved it from the recycler, a Panasonic RX-5100 , It's in like new condition without a scratch on it.
Panasonic_RX-5100.jpg

My Grandfher had this one for his garden and yard work way back when.
It's what made me realize portables were alot better than the old AM radios.

I have a Marantz PMS-3500, minus the speakers which I foolishly threw away. It has been doing bookend duty for many years.

Before I got interested in vinyl, my 'stereo systems' were generally boomboxes. For some reason, I became fixated with ghettoblasters as a kid, and after saving up a bunch of money, bought a Sony CFS-1200 at Toys'R'Us for $80. It really rocked the house, especially with the sliders on the graphic equalizer cranked up (didn't know they were supposed to be centered; it sounded better/louder with 'em all the way up :oops:), and was my go-to for a long time.

I later upgraded to a Sony CFD-10 boombox with a CD player in it, but my interest in the flat disc format which had preceded the CD led me to ask my parents to get me a Radio Shack receiver for Christmas, and that's what got me started in the audio hobby 'properly'. Nevertheless, I still have a number of boomboxes and other mini stereos around here, which I use from time to time. I'll have to take pictures of a few of them when I have time.
-Adam

It was my JVC RC-770 that started my journey into audiophilia. I remember, back in the 80s, I purchased my JVC RC-770 from Macy's for the princely sum of $100.00. This was before CD becoming mainstream and the main attraction on the JVC was Dolby NR. I was a member of the RCA Music Service (predecessor to BMG Music Service and the later yourmusic.com) and I wanted to be able to decode those cassettes in their ful sonic glory that I get each month in the mail. I had the JVC on top of my dresser and I would sit in the dark, listening to my treasured cassettes. Oh, this is how the JVC RC-770 looks like (the photo is not mine but from the internet; I listen with tone control at "flat")....I love those blue cones on the woofers....

IMGP5412.JPG

I lavished on that JVC....TDK cassette demagnetizer, Allsop tape head cleaner, etc. I have memories of flipping the JVC upside down and cleaning the tape heads and capstan with those extra long cotton swabs from Radio Shack. Those were some damn good memories!!

When I moved onto CD in the late 80s, the JVC became merely a doorstop as it didn't have any inputs that I can plug in a portable CD player. I eventually either recycled it or donated it.

How I wish I kept it around as I still have cassettes....sigh.

But my Grail would be this guy here
A JVC PC series box that had the additional woofer built into the center section. These really delivered more than they promised on the sound front.
jvc-pc-x100-vintage-1990-s-am-fm-stereo-cd-dual-cassette-boombox-works-100-gc-4799e22253983cc48d71256492a81824.jpg

Id swap the JVC satellite drivers for Sony whizzer cone units though.

The JVC PC-X100 was involved in a recent smackdown with wireless bluetooth speakers at The Audiophiliac column on cnet.com....

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/a-boombox-vs-bluetooth-speaker-smackdown-pictures/

The JVC is the real deal!!

I bought a JVC cassette boombox on July 4th, 1980 to take to an outdoor party. It took 6 D cells and has a 6 1/2" driver. I was able to provide music across a wide area. I still use it as my go to radio when the power fails. Very sensitive radio. In fact, I could pick up the Mets games in NY from Philadelphia! A 150 mile shout.

This is the only one I have, nowhere as good as my original giant Sharp but definitely well made as you would expect from Grundig
8aoXRGW.jpg

Picture from the net, but I've got what I think is a very rare Mitsubishi boombox. It's got a 5 cassette changer, tuner and auxiliary input. Removable speakers that are genuine 2 ways, with 5" woofers.

Attachments

• 258343158_0bbdac1b-0bb0-4921-bd81-d530c575df47.jpg
    258343158_0bbdac1b-0bb0-4921-bd81-d530c575df47.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 50
Picture from the net, but I've got what I think is a very rare Mitsubishi boombox. It's got a 5 cassette changer, tuner and auxiliary input. Removable speakers that are genuine 2 ways, with 5" woofers.

My brother had the 7 cassette stereo that was much like this... looking at the speakers on this set they probably hadn’t skimped on output power either... very neat unique box!

I also have the 7 cassette version, not quite boombox but more like desktop stereo. White cone speakers look cool :) (speakers not pictured)

Attachments

• 39099ef755817bbc6539c73af3d486f1.jpg
    39099ef755817bbc6539c73af3d486f1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
View attachment 1037081
Ok that's better
View attachment 1037082
Had to make the grills myself,

Dave, that is the Sharp model I had. I bought it when it first came out across the street from Grand Central Station at a audio shop. This was also when the same street (42nd Ave) had all the peepshow and sex shops and was a nasty neighborhood in general. All that stuff is long gone now, NYC cleaned it up. The Sharp was stolen unfortunately and I have looked for years for another. Not that I really need it, just the memories. IIRC it took 10 or 12 D cell batteries. Mine provided music for many a keg party. The original price was $799, I got mine on sale for $599

Back
Top Bottom