Any Mel Torme fans out there?

First one is gatefold, and second, just a sleeve.
Ahh, thank-you! I see that now. Hadn't even noticed the Century version had a US and German distribution, interesting, will have to keep an eye out for that one as well.

I don't know if any are preferred over others but their appear to be two catalog numbers for US LP releases on Discogs which show Gryphon G-784 which looks like the original release (and is the sealed one that I have) and Gryphon G-903. If Discogs is accurate both claim to be from 1978, have no idea why the two different numbers though? :idea:
I wasn't sure--I thought Gryphon was some reissue label. I bought a Cal Tjader LP originally issued on Skye which was reissued on Gryphon and it sounded strange--either the tonal balance was all out of whack, or the vinyl was bad, or something like that. (I seem to recall it also had a channel imbalance...?) Tjader also did a D2D record, Huracan, and one of those early crappy CD reissue labels released it. (It was one of the few they released that sounded good, though.)

That's why I wondered which label originally did the D2D version.

Well thanks for the recommendations folks, cracked it open after nearly 40 years of sleeping in the jacket and you were right it is an amazing sounding album!

Mel Torme and Friends Live at Marty's. 2-record live set from the early 1980's on a small label called Finesse. The friends are Gerry Mulligan, Janis Ian, and Jonathan Schwartz. One of the best-sounding live jazz vocal LP's I've heard. I think the record sums up Torme better than any other release I've heard.

Well thanks for the recommendations folks, cracked it open after nearly 40 years of sleeping in the jacket and you were right it is an amazing sounding album!
I'm glad you like it. I had every confidence that you would. The music, interpretation, production values, musicianship, all that and more, it hits every mark.

Mel Torme and Friends Live at Marty's. 2-record live set from the early 1980's on a small label called Finesse. The friends are Gerry Mulligan, Janis Ian, and Jonathan Schwartz. One of the best-sounding live jazz vocal LP's I've heard. I think the record sums up Torme better than any other release I've heard.

I looked that up, and remember seeing the jacket, in my collection, but didn't recall having heard it. I was right. Now it's my turn to be embarrassed. I have a copy of this on Umbrella, the Canadian release, which, until very recently, like one hour ago, was still sealed. Another excellent live Torme LP. I do prefer more of the tracks on Together Again, but strictly a matter of personal musical preference.

Thanks for the reminder.

I had some Mel Torme on various jazz compilations from Concord & the 32 jazz labels, so I broke down and bought the 4 cd Rhino Box Set, The Mel Torme Collection 1944-1985. A great retrospective.

Another fan. Bought the CD, Live at Marty's when it was released in the late 80s, but stream other recordings now and then. What control of his voice! Just amazing how perfectly he can bend notes, and his vocal speed. Pitch perfect. Turn on a dime.

Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley is by far my favorite--the recent high-res version is especially good. But, he is delightfully good on all of the recordings of his that I own. Sadly though, none on vinyl as of yet. It's rare these days to find anything suitably "untrashed" in the used bins.
I normally don't post videos, but this one is a gem...

I found a copy of Japanese pressing of the Schubert Alley lp and i agree about the quality of the recording. Startling clarity and the soundstage image is truly excellent.

20170523_222705-1.jpg

My favourite LP is Mel Tormé and Buddy Rich -- Together Again for the First Time. Direct to Disc, the whole band, one take for each side. Consummate professionals. Magic.

It's available on CD, as well.
I have this lp and it is one of my treasured Mel Torme records.
20170523_225136-1.jpg

Any time someone mentions Mel Torme, I immediately think of Judge Harry T Stone from Night Court. :)

We used to call him Mel Torment when we were kids, but I enjoy him now. Some of those early recordings sound amazing!

I am a huge Mel fan. I concur with the 3 of the lps, Together Again with Buddy Rich, Shubert Alley, and the 2 lp set Live at Marty's, but I really love much of the stuff he recorded on the Concord label. A personal favorite on Concord is the album he recorded with Rob McConnell''s big band any not to forget his work with George Shearing.

For an inexpensive and superb collection of early Torme, I recommend the following:

51623i5fyjL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

The sound is excellent, as is the music.

I also heartily agree with the recommendations of Swings Schubert Alley and Together Again for the First Time. I have the former on CD, but have only heard the latter on Spotify. If the quality of Rich's Class of 78 DTD is any indication, the sound quality on the Rich-Torme DTD (as opposed to the non-DTD version) should be spectacular.

Last edited:
A little Torme trivia for ya. He sang a song on a record from Was (Not Was). It was my first exposure to him since early childhood.

A little Torme trivia for ya. He sang a song on a record from Was (Not Was). It was my first exposure to him since early childhood.

Tormée also did a guest shot on the Barry Manilow (stop laughing ;) ) album 2:00 AM, Paradise Café. That actually was an excellent album, as it was all the cream of the crop of West Coast jazz musicians: Shelly Manne, Bill Mays, Gerry Mulligan, Mundell Lowe, George Duvivier, and a guest vocal appearance by Sarah Vaughan. He wrote all of the music, with a variety of lyricists. Notable is the tune "When October Goes," which was an unused Johnny Mercer lyric that Mercer's widow gave Manilow permission to set to music. If, I recall, the album was recorded in one take, after a few days of rehearsals.

Tormée also did a guest shot on the Barry Manilow (stop laughing ;) ) album 2:00 AM, Paradise Café. That actually was an excellent album, as it was all the cream of the crop of West Coast jazz musicians: Shelly Manne, Bill Mays, Gerry Mulligan, Mundell Lowe, George Duvivier, and a guest vocal appearance by Sarah Vaughan. He wrote all of the music, with a variety of lyricists. Notable is the tune "When October Goes," which was an unused Johnny Mercer lyric that Mercer's widow gave Manilow permission to set to music. If, I recall, the album was recorded in one take, after a few days of rehearsals.

Once when I was listening to Mel Torme, my wife said he sounded like Barry Manilow. What? That teen idol from the 1970s and his platform shoes and figure skater outfits? The guy who sang Mandy? Well, not quite, but I did check out this album and thought it was quite good. Somewhat similar style to early (non-scat) Torme.

Once when I was listening to Mel Torme, my wife said he sounded like Barry Manilow. What? That teen idol from the 1970s and his platform shoes and figure skater outfits? The guy who sang Mandy? Well, not quite, but I did check out this album and thought it was quite good. Somewhat similar style to early (non-scat) Torme.
Manilow's voice is nothing like Tormé's, but that doesn't mean they might not share some stylistic similarities. Compared to many pop singers today, Manilow's talents are far better--he has good, accurate pitch, a unique sound, and a lot of respect for the music he performs. As they say, his heart's in the right place.

A couple of albums past Paradise Café, Manilow put out an album called Swing Street and I did not warm to it at all--the brass was played on synthesizer and it just sounded cheesy. Had it been done with a real band throughout the entire album, I probably would have liked it. Singin' with the Big Bands sounds like a good disc! I will have to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom