Trigger has been pulled and a New Outlaw RR2160 is here.

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
The pennies were saved and now their spent. Could be here as early as Friday but I'm not holding my breath. Just want it unscathed. Don't know if it will push the Luxman from the top spot but from the almost universal praise it's received I think there's a good chance it will. The Martin Logans are 5 ohm speakers so 70 more watts a channel should make a difference.They sound so good now. Can't wait to try out all the features and it's the first new amp/receiver since the early 90's NAD 7140 Monitor series receiver. The Outlaw is only 100 bucks more than the NAD was back then. Being a huge fan and former collector of Deco style pieces it's funny that I'm underwhelmed by the design of the RR2160 but that NAD was a pretty homely piece of kit and I stilled owned 3 of them at different times. I'll post picks when it gets here and a first impression.

Last edited:
I love the design cosmetically. Ergonomically and sonically, I wouldn't know. It has had my attention for years, so I, too, am very interested in your take on it. Congrats on the new receiver!

I love the design cosmetically. Ergonomically and sonically, I wouldn't know. It has had my attention for years, so I, too, am very interested in your take on it. Congrats on the new receiver!
This one is the replacement for the RR2150. They've been building that one for 10 or 11 years now. They gave this one 10 more watts per channel and a few new features. Hope it lives up to it's predecessors reputation. Thank you

Pics and a review would be appreciated. Congrats.
There will be pictures with a review and updates as needed and thanks.

Last edited:
It's here and it's playing as I type. Arrived in an undamaged box. Well packed in 2 heavy duty boxes and good foam. Super easy to set up. Took about 10 minutes and there was music. Nice back lit aluminum remote, buttons are a little crowded but no biggie. Looks better in person than in the nets photos. I'm going to wait and burn it in before before I go into how it sounds but first impression was very good. But that 50 watt L450 Luxman has that warm fat sound, very tube like. Here's some photos.

38117234201_e40f82674f_b.jpg

38117258851_df6c27f1c8_b.jpg

26340827579_b06092c5b6_b.jpg

37408173804_ca77683159_b.jpg

38117251741_e3324a7a3f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. It’s great that you took the pics as you were unpacking. If it were me, like a kid on Christmas morning, I would have unpacked it as fast as I could in anticipation of the music and would not have stopped to take pics...

Super looker you got there. I missed you saying waiting on one when talking last Saturday, thought you were just thinking of getting it.

Enjoy your new toy.

Barney

Nice. Looks good; I've liked the design from the first time I saw its predecessor a few years ago. Looking forward to OP's assessment. Please include a comment about the display's legibility across the room, sanford12, and any other ergonomic observations about use of remote, or front panel buttons. For example, my new integrated steps volume up or down in 0.1db increments, which is slow for making bigger changes, so holding the button down longer increases it's rate - which can get too loud very quickly. I'm getting the timing down, but there is little room for error. That's the kind of thing, I mean.

This is a very easy piece to set-up. Fairly intuitive in operation. The display brightness is adjustable and at it's brightest is easily seen from 15' but I need new glasses. You can see where my priorities are new receiver before glasses. The volume control sounds like it works similar to yours but when you hold the button down it's a well measured pace so easy to stop where you want it. It moves at 1 dbl increments. Front panel buttons pretty simple menu will take a little effort to learn. It's going to get a 100 hours of burn in before I do any assessment of it's audio quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom