Machine empathy? Or: Automotive Citrus knowing it's Time

My deal today was up at 4 am, had coffee, cleaned up and dressed and out the door by 6, travel 30 miles to a dealership by 7 am to have my Cry-seller's Body Control Module swapped out with a remanned one BUT no joy in mudville today! Remanned unit would not bus with ECM or TCM like it is supposed to! Had them re-swap out the remanned unit back to the original again. What's really weird is the original worked good after that and did all the way home. Gauge cluster was all working and ATC wasn't going crazy.
Anyway, back on the highway and 30 flying miles back down the interstate to home.
I'm counting my lucky stars right now even though I don't believe the prob is resolved because all of this only ran me $132 and some change (not counting the remanned BCM). At a dealership!!
I think I'll go on the down-low for a couple of days now and think of another plan.

Oh man, given those circumstances even if it is small I still feel for you!
In the 40s, damp and cloudy with NO garage to work in is not good.
October was "one of those months" for sure. The transmission in my daughter's car needs a rebuild, the cylinder head on the Civic is shot, the old CR-V with a tranny that gets stuck in Park internally, and the newer CR-V to replace the Civic was rear-ended a week after we picked it up. (Lightly, only cosmetic damage, no paint needed...but still $750 in parts and labor.)

Xmas gifts this year will be car parts. :D

Learned some new automotive acronyms today too:
AECM = Airbag Electronic Control Module
EATX = Electronic Automatic Transmission Controller [TCM]
SBEC = Single Board Engine Controller [PCM and/or ECM]

:eek:

October was "one of those months" for sure. The transmission in my daughter's car needs a rebuild, the cylinder head on the Civic is shot, the old CR-V with a tranny that gets stuck in Park internally, and the newer CR-V to replace the Civic was rear-ended a week after we picked it up. (Lightly, only cosmetic damage, no paint needed...but still $750 in parts and labor.)

Xmas gifts this year will be car parts. :D
Isn't it odd how some things start unraveling around this time of year?

Isn't it odd how some things start unraveling around this time of year?
Maybe it's just catching up with us. Three of the five cars are over 200k miles. The oldest CR-V has 290,000 on it, the Civic 240,000, and the daughter's car turned over 200,000 a month ago (we bought hers dirt cheap though, so, no real complaints there). The other two gave us no real problems though, up until now. At least we have two, newer solid vehicles that we'll easily be able to throw another 100,000 miles each onto. The Civic will be the spare.

I'm surprised the old CR-V has lasted this long even--Michigan road destroy vehicles through salt, loose rocks and stones, potholes that tear up suspensions, you name it. Rust eventually wins. Can't complain though, really--I got 20 years of use out of it. It has helped move five households of "stuff," pulled tree stumps and bushes with a tow chain, traveled around the country, brought home floorstanding speakers from Connecticut ;), even survived my ex driving it off the road and through a bunch of trees in 2002 and a few other mishaps along the way. We always joke that we can't kill it. :D She still starts right up instantly, ready to go!

I am lucky in respect to rust - not much of it to worry about here in The Jurassic State. I don't even recall getting snow last winter but several winters ago we got 3ft on Xmas eve.

Back
Top Bottom