Cassette manufacture restarting...

KiM3Ce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
https://www.wsj.com/articles/casset...x_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=video&cx_artPos=1

If you are not a WSJ subscriber I hope they will unlock it soon.

"Steve Stepp and his team of septuagenarian engineers are using a bag of rust, a kitchen mixer larger than a man and a 62-foot-long contraption that used to make magnetic strips for credit cards to avert a disaster that no one saw coming in the digital-music era."

Quality cassette decks, you say? I just looked, and a major retailer in NYC has Tascam and Marantz cassette decks listed on their website....
But I guess hipsters wouldn't be inclined to look for a real cassette deck.... ;-})>

Come to think of it, I could probably put some high-bias (along the lines of TDK SA-x or Maxell XL-IIs) cassettes to use....

Before CDs in cars, I used to make mixtapes specially eq'd for the car- they sounded incredible and to this day, nothing in my cars has evoked the same musical emotional involvement as a good cassette deck playing your own compilations, carefully made.

I love that Pioneer!

I have a TOTL Realistic full logic dolby B/C deck AM/FM with the same two shaft plate mount someplace. All I need is a classic car to put it in!

Before CDs in cars, I used to make mixtapes specially eq'd for the car- they sounded incredible and to this day, nothing in my cars has evoked the same musical emotional involvement as a good cassette deck playing your own compilations, carefully made.

I love that Pioneer!

I have a TOTL Realistic full logic dolby B/C deck AM/FM with the same two shaft plate mount someplace. All I need is a classic car to put it in!

Here’s what it’s going in...original 1981 CJ7 Renegade. Can’t wait, got another few days before the speakers and belts show up.

DBE53FA6-A052-4E6E-BD43-5FC94E55CB4C.jpeg

True, yes. I just put a new front bumper on and rear with a spare tire carrier (retained originals). As for the seats, they’re actually period replacements from the 80’s. Kind of rare too, from what I gather! Like the old CJ’s myself. Actually bought my first one off the showroom in 1984. Nice to know there are Jeep lovers mixed in with old stereo folks!

Sorry to the OP. Didn’t mean to highjack the thread!

Do you have a really good immobilizer on that Jeep? Cars like that would be pretty attractive to thieves I would think.

Quality cassette decks, you say? I just looked, and a major retailer in NYC has Tascam and Marantz cassette decks listed on their website....
But I'm sure they all use the same Chinese mechanism inside, and none have Dolby NR, because nobody makes Dolby encoding/decoding chips anymore.

Also the WSJ article's title is misleading. National Audio Company never stopped making cassettes, therefore they never had to restart production. The only thing "restarting" is the mainstream media's attention to it.

Had me a KP500 underdash supertuner/cassette in my 1962 Impala during college. Jensen 6x9 coaxials to go with it.

Fond memories.

Another analogue "comeback" which proves digital doesn't have any 'soul.'

Had me a KP500 underdash supertuner/cassette in my 1962 Impala during college. Jensen 6x9 coaxials to go with it.

Fond memories.

Another analogue "comeback" which proves digital doesn't have any 'soul.'

I had a KP500 too! Really nice unit, very powerful, produced wonderful bass. They're very sought after, take a look at the bay....$$$

Now all we need are audiophile pencils to rewind the tapes after they get caught in the deck rollers. :D

casettebirthday_v2-lrg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom