"Loose" McIntosh black rocker switches: can these be tightened or retensioned?

monkboughtlunch

Regarding the black vertical rocker switches that McIntosh used on units like: MX-110, C22, MA5100 etc, can these be tightened up if they have become "loose" or the "friction" has dissipated over time?

rocker.jpg

So, does anyone know which foam is appropriate here? I've got the same situation with my MX110. Almost looks like weather stripping closed cell foam pieces...?

That's what I used - from the Home Despot, too. Difficult to get installed once you pull the backing off the sticky part, tho.

Be sure to get all the old stuff that's turned to powder out first.

Cheers,

David

The rocker switches on the faceplate aren’t switches, they engage slide switches attached to the chassis. Remove the face plate and you have access to the rockers. I removed all the foam from my 110 and my 230, I just live with the loose feel.

What switch technique did Mac use for the switches on the more recent commemorative edition of the C22 as compared to 50 yr old models like the original C22, MA230, MX110, etc?

That's what I used - from the Home Despot, too. Difficult to get installed once you pull the backing off the sticky part, tho.

Be sure to get all the old stuff that's turned to powder out first.

Cheers,

David

Did you take pictures? And can you provide a link or part number for the correct weather stripping product? Thanks!

I installed some festoon LEDs in my MX110. Since I've taken the faceplate off, I thought now is a good time to see if I can address the notorious McIntosh foam disintegration issue.

First off, the foam issue is not just a tactile problem. I'm actually experiencing some static and drop outs from one of the switches. I want to rid it of the rotted crumbling foam before I hit it with DeOxit.

See photos below. I've heard the mechanism is just a slider switch with a plastic rocker over the top. Is that correct?

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic rocker cover in order remove all the crumbling foam debris? I'd like to get those rockers off, clean the foam out and they spray some DeOxit or Faderlube on the switches. Then add new foam, reinstall the rocker and button it back up.

Has anyone tackled this process before? If someone has already developed a process to address this it needs to be a sticky!

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

More photos.

Has anyone taken the rocker cover off the switch? If so, what is the process?

Are the yellow strips shown below the backing for the rotted foam, and if so, can they be pulled out without disassembling the switch? To get new foam in, does the rocker need to be taken apart?

IMG_6230.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

This must be a highly guarded secret. I've asked around several times and... Nothing.

Surely someone knows as I've heard of it being done.

Agreed! The C11, C22, MX110, MA230 and MA5100 all use these same rocker switches. After 50 years, the foam will have disintegrated in every single surviving unit (unless restored) of these models. Given the ubiquity of this crumbling foam problem, there are certainly people who know how to make this repair.

It's not clear if the pins can be removed to allow the rocker cover to be taken off. It's also not clear if those strips can be pulled out with the rockers in place.

Audio Classics replaced the foam on mine. Check with them for the materials needed.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. In the meantime, if anyone has any experience or tips on how to do this, please post here.

I wonder if this Frost King material could be custom trimmed and used for the rockers.

51hSjOlJB9L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom