Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Very nice Max! That fixed blade is a work of art.

And about that Karambit, yikes! :eek: That’s frightening! I like it.

Sharpening it must be a bit of a challenge.
Only frightening if in the right hands...or is that wrong? I guess it depends on the angle It's seen from. If It's seen....... the shorter bladed ones are difficult to be seen in the hands of the user.

A picture is worth a thousand words

Last edited:
Was working out in the yard this am, clearing out some overgrown vegetation, so I put this blade to use. Cold Steel Barong, 12 inch blade, plain carbon steel (probably 1095 or similar), with a pretty good heat treat on it. The factory-issued edge was pure crap, so I reprofiled it to a convex edge, and it now cuts like six futhermuckers !
upload_2017-10-22_14-40-27.png

Thanks, Maxx. Here are the specs:
  • Blade: 67-layer damascus
  • Handle: Ebony wood
  • Liner Lock
  • Dual thumbstuds
  • Pocket clip for right-handed tip-down carry
  • Blade thickness: 0.10 in (2.5 mm)
  • Blade length: 2.7 in (6.9 cm)
  • Overall length: 6.5 in (16.5 cm)
  • Weight: 1.6 oz (45.4 g)
Although it's made in China I'm very impressed with the quality. It has a nice smooth feel when opening and closing and fits really well in my admittedly small hands. It has a very sharp edge. I'll admit that I bought mostly for the looks. It doesn't disappoint.

-Dave

Thanks, Maxx. Here are the specs:
  • Blade: 67-layer damascus
  • Handle: Ebony wood
  • Liner Lock
  • Dual thumbstuds
  • Pocket clip for right-handed tip-down carry
  • Blade thickness: 0.10 in (2.5 mm)
  • Blade length: 2.7 in (6.9 cm)
  • Overall length: 6.5 in (16.5 cm)
  • Weight: 1.6 oz (45.4 g)
Although it's made in China I'm very impressed with the quality. It has a nice smooth feel when opening and closing and fits really well in my admittedly small hands. It has a very sharp edge. I'll admit that I bought mostly for the looks. It doesn't disappoint.

-Dave

Every time I see a nicely-crafted Damascus blade, it`s like I`m looking at a history book. That`s the way blades were made for hundreds of years, typically under relatively secretive conditions. Every bladesmith had his own personal bag of tricks that were rarely passed along, usually only to life-long apprentices.
Many of the knives coming out of China today are a completely different breed compared to what people used to think of. Super-premium brands like Kizer, Stedemon, Reate`, Carson Tech Labs, Kevin John, Vespa, and others are built in modern facilities, using CAD-CAM equipment, and the highest-quality blade steels, like CPM S35V, Titanium handles, ball-bearing blade pivots, etc. They set the bar very high for QC, and will take the Pepsi challenge against just about any other knives out there.
A typical USA-made "benchmark" folder would be something like the Chris Reeve Sebenza, a coveted piece for sure. Worth the price, but at around $450, maybe a little beyond the reach of someone on a tight budget. The new Chinese high-end folders offer maybe 98% of the Sebenza`s panache, at about half the price. Not a bad deal....

Family photo,
The Izula is my EDC do everything knife. The 5 goes on hiking trips and road trips. The Junglas, well I bought it late and it really hasn't done much.
I bought Izula's for everyone in the family and extended, they all love that little knife.
CE45D06A-F5C2-4E38-A235-7236B128AD05.jpeg
E9087AA6-8A58-4926-96A3-97C1AA47BDB8.jpeg

Today, it`s a different deal....I`ve had these scissors (made by Buck Knives) for around 20 years. They`re industrial-strength, comes equipped with bottle cap lifter, nut cracker/bottle-top twister, screwdriver blade, and breaks down in a nanosecond, allowing each blade to be used individually as a knife (of sorts). Strong like bull....

upload_2017-11-8_20-33-29.png

upload_2017-11-8_20-34-42.png
upload_2017-11-8_20-35-10.png
upload_2017-11-8_20-35-44.png

I have some Cutco scissors that are very stout. Don’t care for the knives much. Bought just enough knives to get the scissors. It was helping out a friend’s kid so it was more like a donation. I do use the skeletonized cheese knife frequently.

Today`s ridealong is the Tom Lewis fixed-blade, and my ever-present Benchmade Barrage. Last week, while touching up the edge on the Barrage, I decided to reprofile it to a Moran (convex) edge, using a rubber sanding block with a few different grades of wet-or-dry sandpaper. Turned out real nice, the finest grit I had was 400 grit, so I didn`t get that hair-shaving sharp edge. Almost, but not quite.

But, that being said, I don`t shave with this knife, it`s a working knife. I didn`t put any secondary micro-bevel on it, just left it in the "appleseed edge" state. And, in it`s present form, it`s a better working edge than the more-refined version I would normally put on it. Tested it by making about 75 or 80 cuts on some half-inch manila (hemp) rope, followed by some whittling on a piece of well-seasoned cherry branch. It performed admirably in both tasks, without any apparent degredation in edge quality.

View attachment 1026386

I'll tell you, I never get tired of looking at that Tom Lewis. Just beautiful and I have no doubt that's also a fine tool to use.

-Dave

I may have mentioned it earlier but my little Victrinox knife that I carry everywhere gets used several times each day. I usually carry the Benchmade Emissary but it doesn’t get used for everyday uses, just those sudden unexpected special occasions, so to speak. The little Victrinox is very small, easy to carry and it is very useful for most tasks. I have used it successfully for things that it really shouldn’t be used for. I do try to avoid cutting cardboard boxes down to size for recycling with it but it has been done. I find that sharpening that tiny blade can be a bit of a challenge using a conventional stone. Victrinox does make a small pen-size diamond sharpener for it that works great. I have lost a few and worn out a few over the many years that I have carried these little things. I will buy another one immediately if the one in my pocket goes missing and will feel lost without it until the replacement arrives.
I will add that these can and do survive a trip through the washer and dryer. A shot of FaderLube keeps them operating smoothely.
4BE0F7B3-38D2-40C8-85CA-F4834CEE16C7.jpeg 205746EB-0E0F-49F8-9B7B-8E0A8D624B9C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom