original can caps mc225

giorgi

On mc225, the original cans.... are they mallory brand?

I suppose there is no way to date age of cans.

Last edited:
Nothing special about the caps ... have you considered gutting and re-stuffing the originals?

(I won't tell anybody if you don't) <G>

On mc225, the original cans.... are they mallory brand?

On amp i hold, the doubler that is ground lifted has a tan cardboard casing... all pictures i see have black.

Did mcintosh use tan cap here too?

I suppose there is no way to date age of cans.
Some capacitors have a date code on them. Take a look and see what you can find.

Yes , Mallory was used like some other . Brand is not the most important , value , YES !
And as said before , some cap have the date code on the body

I saw more often Cornell-Dubilier for the 3 multiple sections capacitor , and the black one is in the double voltage section and is carton isolated (black carton)

MC225-Cornell-Dubilier-original-capacitors.JPG

Last edited:
Yes , Mallory was used like some other . Brand is not the most important , value , YES !
And as said before , some cap have the date code on the body

I saw more often Cornell-Dubilier for the 3 multiple sections capacitor , and the black one is in the double voltage section and is carton isolated (black carton)

View attachment 1038707

The date code on the caps will likely be within a few months of the mfg date of the amp itself. Either way, they are pretty old and should be replaced.
The two voltage doubler caps should be of concern. There are direct slide in replacements for both. Several options for the main filter cap (held in place by snap mount bracket). With fresh caps, the 225 will sound more like it is supposed to sound, greater dynamics, etc.

J

I ordered replacement multi caps for my MC250 from Hayseed Hamfest and they are perfect fit. But I didn't care about retaining the stock can look.

Back
Top Bottom