The Waxing Nostalgic Café – – C'mon In

tybrad

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A place for pics or words. Just a place for us to sit and banter with images or words on what great memories you have from your past. Maybe a pic of America as you remember it being when it was in your sweet spot. Stuff like that. It's an open mic forum, judge-free zone.

Based upon a recent thread about Howard Johnson's, I began looking and remembering. And then I came across

65643659.GIF

I grew up here and this was my store. It brought back a flood of memories from by PT/Early teen years. And though this song is not about Murphy's, it really is about ALL of these Five and Dime stores. Great memories.

I spent many Saturday nights watching these two ham it up! I was saddened when Buck left; right about the time he left, many of the originals were dying off or leaving, and the show was never the same. It held on for a few years more, and it had one last "hurrah" in its final season going back to showing classic shows for a while.download.jpg

Hank died almost 21 years before I was born, but he's still my idol in 2017. I still have some of my grandmother's 78's, and through a friend with "connections," I have quite a few songs of his that have never even been released on any format.
IMG_9383656659018.JPG

I grew up watching the Goodies on ABC when I was a kid. I just couldn't get enough of them and still find them extremely funny.

I do wonder how they shaped my sense of humor lol.

I loved their ad skits lol

trandem_office.jpg

Last edited:
In the very early `70s, I worked at Hi-Cue Billiards in Elizabeth, NJ....IMHO, one of the best rooms in the US, possibly the world.
ALL the pros, and wannabe pros, played there at one time or another. Willie Mosconi, Irving Crane, Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter, Allen Hopkins, Steve Mizerak, Petey Margo, the Fusco Brothers, they all rolled balls across the felt at Hi-Cue.

And yes, that IS the great Rudolph Wanderone (aka/ Minnesota Fats) in this photo....this was a special table, reserved for VIPS, and those late-night "big money games". If you look closely at the ceiling, you can see the metal track where the hospital-room type dividing curtain would be drawn around the table for privacy.

upload_2017-11-4_23-42-26.png

Chicago car dealers sponsoring the late night movies on TV.

JIm Moran, "The Courtesy Man," owner of Courtesy Ford, did his own commercials by live remote from the dealership on WGN. He sponsored the Saturday night late movie. It would play 10 or 15 minutes to get you hooked, then Moran would come on for just one twenty-minute-long commercial, followed by the uninterrupted remainder of the movie. This was in the 50s, before WGN went to color. The huge monochrome remote truck would go to the dealership Saturday afternoon to set up. A part of the repair shop (not the showroom) was outfitted with a large number of adjustable fluorescent light troughs. I haven't seen any recordings of his commercials, and I wonder if any were made.

Moran became a multibillionaire, and got in some trouble for sharp business practices when he established the monopolistic Toyota distributorship in the southeast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Moran_(businessman)

---
Linn Burton ("Linn Burton for certain"), was the hard-sell pitchman for Burt Weinman Ford and other dealers:

Not mine but just like my first car ('64) to every detail in '79. I had a lot of great times in and driving that car even with no heat (in central PA winters- that was adventuresome).
7771.jpg

Before I had any quality home stereo (it was a Radio Shack Clarinette all-in-one), I had this RS cassette player. Good power for the time, incredi-sound for me at the time. It eventually lost some head alignment and I needed a steak knife in the car to insert and lift the cassette a bit to have best sound. I have never lived that down from my friend at the time.
ScreenShot2012-07-16at93001AM.png

These are all great memories from all who have contributed- keep them coming. :thumbsup:

I like Tybrad's Beetle.
I too had one (a '66) in 1977.
I wish that we still had cars that were fixable on the side of the road.
But not so much cars that had to be fixed on the side of the road, though.

I have a twin brother. One day in 1983 my Dad called home from the side Interstate 64 on the eastern side of Afton Mountain in western VA.
He had seized the engine in his '69 Campmobile, hauling a trailer of furniture up the mountain on his way to my other brother in Colorado.
My twin brother and I flipped a coin, and he lost.
So, we hoisted a spare engine into another VW (a Squareback) and he drove it, a toolbox and jack out to Dad.
In a couple of hours, they had the engines swapped and Dad was on his way again.
You can't exercise that level of self-sufficiency with even the simplest of modern cars.
Too bad.

search
I'm old enough to remember Kansas City's original streetcars. I'm not old enough to remember the interurban light rail, but in the 1950's you could still see clearly where its track crossed North Oak Trafficway in Gashland (now gobbled up by Kansas City).

Well, the URL won't load.

Back in the late `70s, I was fascinated by the Atari video games "Missile Command", and "Space Invaders". But I became a hard-core addict with the introduction of "Asteroids"....I could not walk past one of those machines without feeding a few quarters into it....
I heard that "Asteroids" was so addictive that it actually brought the assembly line at the Atari factory to a stop once....

Simply no places to get a REAL ice cream soda. Not the floats (ice cream and pop(soda Amer)}...but the soft drink wherein carbonated water is added to syrup, then hard ice cream is added.

That is what I miss!

Q

Back
Top Bottom