New Member from Michigan

Motnick

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have been starting to collect a few old receivers this summer. Nostalgia for the days of listening to my dads Pioneer SX-980 as a kid, and a general interest in electrical stuff has brought me to this forum. Recently I have been finding some smaller less expensive receivers to get my feet wet. So far I have picked up a Technics SA-200 which just needed to have the pots and switches cleaned. I also found a Sankyo SRC-4040 which needed cleaning and also bulb replacement. The third is a Wintec Model-333. It plays alright, but has some offset in one channel. Hopefully I can find a service manual eventually to help with this?

Yesterday I picked up a Pioneer SX-737 which I believe is being cut out by the protection circuit. I am thinking of taking the plunge into my first recap with this receiver? I have been reading lots on this forum as well as the service manual. My plan is to try to fix the cut out issue first, and then go ahead with the recap.

Welcome to AK! I understand the nostalgia!

You'll get more help with this question in the Pioneer Audio or the Solid State forums, many people hang out there that don't read the Introductions area.

Welcome to AK!!! And yes, the Pioneer forums will help you with this very worth 737. I love the sound of those receivers.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the welcome! For now I am working on getting my order together for all of the replacement parts. Ideally I will have all of the parts on hand while I work to locate the trouble spot in the SX-737. I hope to fix the protection cut out issue first, and then recap the boards one at a time.

Welcome to AK!! Plenty of knowledgeable people here who can you bring older gear back to life.

Welcome! The Sankyo and Wintec units are uncommon to say the least. As always, basic electronics apply to troubleshooting. Have fun!

So the distortion started recently?

Unfortunetly this piece has had some offset and distortion type issues since I picked it up earlier this year. I’ve tried cleaning the switches and pots, but the issue remains. I tried finding more info about this receiver around the time that I purchased it but then I got involved in a Pioneer SX-737 recap and put it to the side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom