DAC for Raspberry Pi?

Ziradog

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Pi set up with a HiFiBerry DAC+ to stream music in one of our bedrooms. I am going to do a similar set up for the garage. I was wondering if anyone could suggest another low cost DAC to try? I like teh HiFiBerry but I want to take this chance to explore. Thsi being a garage system, I don't want to spend big $. Suggestions?

Thanks.

The audio output from the Pi is just slightly worse than a 1970's transistor radio. My standards for the garage are a little better than that. The Pi with the HiFiBerry DAC I have in the one bedroom is pretty decent - at least as good as a basic CD player. It was $30-ish. Thinking something along this line (<$50 - $60), either USB DAC or a "Pi HAT" DAC, just to try something different.

The audio output from the Pi is just slightly worse than a 1970's transistor radio. My standards for the garage are a little better than that. The Pi with the HiFiBerry DAC I have in the one bedroom is pretty decent - at least as good as a basic CD player. It was $30-ish. Thinking something along this line (<$50 - $60), either USB DAC or a "Pi HAT" DAC, just to try something different.

Get Audioquest Dragonfly then.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest another low cost DAC to try? I like teh HiFiBerry but I want to take this chance to explore. Thsi being a garage system, I don't want to spend big $. Suggestions?
Allo Boss.

I prefer using the RPi as player only using a digital output to feed my choice of DAC. I began with a HiFiBerry Digi+ and replaced it with the significantly better Allo DigiOne.

I use the Topping D30 slightly above your budget but it can decode DSD. I had no luck with the HifiBerry module I purchased. I could not get it to work for some reason - I suspect it was a hardware issue as I tried several Pi player distributions. The Topping connects through USB and my RuneAudio recognizes it and they play along nicely.

Allo Boss.

I prefer using the RPi as player only using a digital output to feed my choice of DAC. I began with a HiFiBerry Digi+ and replaced it with the significantly better Allo DigiOne.

Interesting. What makes it better that than other i2S Dacs?

That's a little pricier than I want to spend for the garage. Maybe for the bedroom.

Interesting. What makes it better that than other i2S Dacs?
First of all, the DigiOne is not a DAC. It outputs a digital signal over either coax or BNC, the latter of which I use for my Music Hall DAC 25.3.

ncore3.jpg

If you are looking for cheap and to use in the garage the Behringer UCA-202 fits the bill at $30 for a new one.

Back
Top Bottom