Jazz Fusion Playlist

Incredible news on John McLaughlin's U.S. Farewell Tour!!

Unfortunately they aren't playing in Arizona so I was going to miss this show and I have been really bummed out about missing it . . . . but they going to have a "Free Live Streaming Webcast" of the full concert next Saturday night at 8 pm Eastern!! I've seen every tour that JM has ever played in the U.S. since my first show on the "Birds of Fire" tour in '73.
Can't wait till Saturday Night!! :beerchug:

https://www.jambase.com/article/joh...announce-free-webcast-featuring-4th-show-tour

This was almost as good as being there in Buffalo. Excellent show once again. Fortunately, if you missed it, it's still available on YouTube in it's entirety.

It's a bootleg, from Japan.
I love Youtube for things like this!

I watched that one quite a few times before. Saunders & Smith were a great rhythm section also for the OTB. I saw them with the Jan Hammer Group several times in the 70's with Steve Kindler on violin.

Larry Coryell / The Power Trio / Live in Chicago, 2003
with Larry Gray and Paul Wertico

Larry_Coryell_Power_Trio_Chicago.jpg
Wow! There's one I don't have!! On the list it goes!

I watched that one quite a few times before. Saunders & Smith were a great rhythm section also for the OTB. I saw them with the Jan Hammer Group several times in the 70's with Steve Kindler on violin.
Yep, got to see Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group with that same line up, as for OTB, Tony was not the drummer, "Sunship" Theus was at that particular time, he was absolutely phenomenal.

Yep, got to see Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group with that same line up, as for OTB, Tony was not the drummer, "Sunship" Theus was at that particular time, he was absolutely phenomenal.

I also saw Beck with Jan Hammer at old Comiskey Park in Chicago. You probably saw the same OTB tour as I did with Woody Theus on drums & T.M. Stevens on bass. They were ideal for that band. "Sonship" out drummed Cobham the night I saw them with his incredible energy!

Last edited:
I have to agree, with your accolades for Sunship, he was mesmerizing, as were the other musicians, my good friend, who is an excellent drummer in his own right, was completely blown away by Theus, and funny, that was so long ago, and he seemed to never get the recognition of the Whites, Cobhams, Mouzon, even the great names that would come along long after that period, seems he was grossly underrecorded. I understand he is passed away now.
I have so many great memories from the 70's shows I did get to see, CBS Allstars (Khan, Cobham, Tom Scott, Alphonso Johnson, Soskin), Lenny White doing the Astral Pirates tour with a dual guitar attack, Freddie Hubbard Band also in that gig.
Chick Corea EBand twice. JL Ponty twice.
YellowJackets, Brufords Earthworks, Steve Morse Band, and Mr Mister at the same gig.
Dave Weckl Band (Weckl, Tom Kennedy, Brandon Fields, Steve Weingart,)
George Duke and Stanley Clarke, with the Dregs as a warm up band.
Many other great shows, but not nearly enough bands come to Mpls/St Paul for some reason. +

I have to agree, with your accolades for Sunship, he was mesmerizing, as were the other musicians, my good friend, who is an excellent drummer in his own right, was completely blown away by Theus, and funny, that was so long ago, and he seemed to never get the recognition of the Whites, Cobhams, Mouzon, even the great names that would come along long after that period, seems he was grossly underrecorded. I understand he is passed away now.
I have so many great memories from the 70's shows I did get to see, CBS Allstars (Khan, Cobham, Tom Scott, Alphonso Johnson, Soskin), Lenny White doing the Astral Pirates tour with a dual guitar attack, Freddie Hubbard Band also in that gig.
Chick Corea EBand twice. JL Ponty twice.
YellowJackets, Brufords Earthworks, Steve Morse Band, and Mr Mister at the same gig.
Dave Weckl Band (Weckl, Tom Kennedy, Brandon Fields, Steve Weingart,)
George Duke and Stanley Clarke, with the Dregs as a warm up band.
Many other great shows, but not nearly enough bands come to Mpls/St Paul for some reason. +

You saw a lot of great shows! I saw a lot of the same concerts! I lived in the Old Town area, the heart of the Chicago music scene from 1961 as a young kid through the 90's and saw a lot of shows. I also saw the "CBS Allstars", that was a great show! I met Chick one time at a restaurant just before an Elektric Band show, man what great guy so easy to talk to. I must have missed that "Astral Pirates" show. That would have been excellent!

I miss those days . . . in the 80's the music scene in the neighborhood disappeared. All the clubs & bars yuppified to sports bars and forced all the musicians, artist & bohemian types in the neighborhood to disperse across the city due to high rent and such. Sure was a cool scene back in the day culturally.

Last edited:
The "CBS Jazz All Stars" concert featured a few tunes off of this album. I have bitter-sweet memories of it. It was one of my best friends & bandmate favorite lp's when it was released, he just loved it and I spun it for him often and he attended concert with me in '77. He was taken away at age 30 in '84 by cancer. That changed my life forever, I was 27. Accordingly I dedicate this to my fallen brother, Johnny.

Steve Khan ~ Tightrope
Columbia, 1977

20171110_171617.jpg

20171110_171636.jpg

Last edited:
The "CBS Jazz All Stars" concert featured a few tunes off of this album. I have bitter-sweet memories of it. It was one of my best friends & bandmate favorite lp's when it was released, he just loved it and I spun it for him often and he attended concert with me in '77. He was taken away at age 30 in '84 by cancer. That changed my life forever, I was 27. Accordingly I dedicate this to my fallen brother, Johnny.

Steve Khan ~ Tightrope
Columbia, 1977

20171110_171617.jpg

20171110_171636.jpg
Steve Kahn is such a great player. I saw him and Larry Coryell together in Symphony Hall. Larry would pull something amazing off and Steve would sit back and say "Whoa!". That was a great show!

Back
Top Bottom