MA 252

Hey Ron-C - why no cross feed on the headphone out? Is that something that's done in the digital domain? Is the headphone amp tube, solid state, or hybrid?

As someone else mentioned, a mono mode would be useful for LP playback.

As someone else mentioned, a mono mode would be useful for LP playback.

I feel the mono option has played out its course in new options. I currently have more than 500 LPs that were produced from 2006 to 2018, and none of them have a mono version available. There was an era of vinyl production where mono options were popular to prevalent; the new school of vinyl does not play in that same pond.

I don't post this to be inflammatory. I know I am going against the stream of the discussion, but I think there is a talk worth having of where MM inputs were in 1983 and were MM inputs are going to be in 2018.

Last edited:
MA252 does not have pre out and main in so the sub out is a full range mono signal.
Ron-C

Very true, I hadn't considered that. Good thing it has the sub out. Of course it also means the MA252's tube preamp cannot be used to drive a separate 2 channel amp. Ok I guess since it's a small minimalist integrated.
Its appearance and purpose is growing on me; I kinda like it, and would love to hear one. Good for a small vintage-style system.

If an amp isn’t dual mono, I can’t think of any reason not to offer a mono “switch”.

And the aesthetics of this one... nice that all the promo pics show the tube cages obscuring the display.

If you need more features please see MA5300 as MA252 is much more basic.
Ron-C

Except the MA252 is way cooler :) Seriously, I'm curious as to the decision not to include cross feed, since McIntosh included it as a feature on the far less expensive MHA 50.

I’ve been on the verge of an upgrade and wasn’t able to come to a decision. This fits my needs perfectly. My only missing wishlist feature would be ability to drive two separate sets of speakers. I like being able to run speakers in the living room and/or in the kitchen. Otherwise, all of my needs would be met by this amp!

Now, I just hope I can demo at my local dealer, and that my wife isn’t paying too close of attention!

It will run two pair of speakers but the ability to switch either pair on/off would have to be done via an external switcher.

It is all messed up by Christmas. I will post something as soon as I can!

I have a deposit down, but I've been told that I can't buy anything for myself.

Last edited:
I also went ahead and ordered the new MA 252. Seems perfect for a vinyl only set-up. My only concern though is the quality of the included phonostage. I called Mac and spoke with tech support. Tech support told me that the phonostage in the MA 252 is not the same circuitry used in their higher level phonostages like in the 6700 (hence the lower s/n ratio). While this piece is much less expensive, I hope they didn't skimp in this important area.

I also went ahead and ordered the new MA 252. Seems perfect for a vinyl only set-up. My only concern though is the quality of the included phonostage. I called Mac and spoke with tech support. Tech support told me that the phonostage in the MA 252 is not the same circuitry used in their higher level phonostages like in the 6700 (hence the lower s/n ratio). While this piece is much less expensive, I hope they didn't skimp in this important area.

It's odd that McIntosh didn't include a line out. One is unable to use the onboard preamp to make digital or analog copies of one's vinyl collection--unless using the headphone jack.

XL_MA252_Back.jpg

It's odd that McIntosh didn't include a line out. One is unable to use the onboard preamp to make digital or analog copies of one's vinyl collection--unless using the headphone jack.

View attachment 1106259

Yeah, you'd have to buy Mac's outboard phonostage or something comparable to digitize vinyl...for my uses: namely spinning vinyl, this seems to be a perfect solution and will be my first Mac product. Wish there were some reviews or owner feedback though.

I have been very patient. I should have an MA252 by the end of the week.

My general craziness has ended with two exceptional pieces of McIntosh equipment going up for sale in the near future. I have 500 ft^2 of space for a stereo system to cover. I believe my new layout will handle this well.

If anyone lives in central NC, I would love to audition very nice McIntosh separates. I have tried and tried to find fault -- with zero % success.

You are also welcome to check out the MA252 setup

Back
Top Bottom