Today's Blues Playlist

Well, decided to pick up one of those new remastered high-definition 180 gram records featuring John Lee Hooker and his electric guitar along with his quartet, showcasing Eddie Taylor on rhythm. Originally, the music store had been asking $30 for it, but had reduced it several times, down to $12 so thought to grab it.

I've only listened haphazardly to material of the early greats (Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, et al) due to the poor quality of both reproduction and condition of the records. However, thought this LP might give me insight into the roots of this Blues genre that I appreciate from the performers of today, eh?

I was amazed at how the techs were able to clean up the sound from this compilation that was first offered back in 62 of "Folk Blues" containing recordings in the early 50's. No pops, static, or white noise!...just pure playing of the 30's/40's.

Details
"Folk Blues"- John Lee Hooker (orig 1962, updated 2015)
WaxTime Records, 772066

Side1
Baby I'm Gonna Miss You
Half A Stranger
Shake Holler And Run
Gonna Boogie
Devil's Jjump

Side 2
Bad Boy
Rock House Boogie
Let's Talk It Over
Baby You Ain't No Good
Lookin' For A Woman
Rosie Mae

"Hooker's tapping-foot percussion provides a hypnotic back-beat"
Living Blues magazine"

Q

Last edited:
Reverend Gary Davis
When I Die I'll Live Again
Fantasy 2X lp

It's easy to see and hear why his music is covered so often. Spirituals are supposed to stir the soul, he comforts the distressed with every word and note.

I don't post as often as I should but listening to the (under appreciated?) Earl Hooker I had to

Earl Hooker - The Moon is Rising
Arhoolie Records

Solid disc. I am liking this one better than the oft recommended "Two Bugs and a Roach" also on arhoolie. Plus this has live Earl Hooker. Highly Recommended

I don't post as often as I should but listening to the (under appreciated?) Earl Hooker I had to

Earl Hooker - The Moon is Rising
Arhoolie Records

Solid disc. I am liking this one better than the oft recommended "Two Bugs and a Roach" also on arhoolie. Plus this has live Earl Hooker. Highly Recommended
Earl is waaaaay under appreciated, IMO.

My copy of John Lee's Urban Blues has a couple of bonus tracks with Earl, including this one. Funky.

Back
Top Bottom