MC-2500 in the house

Congrats on the MC2500.
I have two of them. They are great amps - and heavy if you haven't noticed!
I used mine for driving the lower register (each in mono mode - 1000 watts each) of each channel using an MEN220 as a crossover, and using two MC2255s to drive the upper registers.
The MC2500s wee fantastic in that configuration.
Since then, I have taken the MC2500s out of my office system, and am using 4 MC2255s with the MEN220. The MC2500s are currently "in reserve" debating whether to bring them home (again using another MEN220 and two MC7270s) or leave them in the office system.
My only objection to them is it takes two gorillas the move them!!!!
thanks,
James

I got another one MC2500 X2). Sorry I haven't responded to comments. I am still in a funk over the loss of my brother. I'll get back soon though.

Thanks Tony. Had a great SEMA show. Worked the booth last week. Record attendance. That's a good sign. I will send pics of some McIntosh horsepower and horsepower. Amp 2 isn't here yet.

So I had the audio classics box from amp 1 and sent it from Ohio to CA. I went the extra yard and put the box on a skid and wrapped and taped the ship out of it. I even put metal tie down buckles on the side of the skid. Wouldn't you know it. The skid got to the seller busted up. How do you break that! I am so pissed off. The seller has to reconstruct the skid. You go the extra yard for what!!! I'll be lucky to get the amp here in one piece.

Congrats on finding a 2500 in that good of shape.
I have two of them, but mine show definite signs of "usage" in their previous life, one more than the other.
Yes - they are HEAVY (about 135 pounds). At age 73 I do not try to pick up one by myself (the 2255s, 2205s, and 7270s are marginal for me - but the 2500s I absolutely cannot handle by myself).
Comparing these to other MCs of similar vintage (looking at my signature listing you can see what else I have), it is obvious they are built to a higher standard. They are built like an industrial amp, not a home amp. The fact that they have built in cooling fans should tell us something!
Especially using them in mono mode (as I do mine) it is possible to "overdrive" speakers if you are into loud music, so be careful and monitor the power level on the meters carefully. I have heard bass cones "break up" on my Legacy Signature III's (three ten inch woofers per channel) when I got "carried away" with the volume.
You have an excellent machine, capable of just about anything!
Congratulations on getting one in good shape.

Yesterday I reset my MC2500 driving XRT20s input switch from .75 Volts to 2.5 Volts to better match C39. I swear it sounded beter but not prepared for what happened later

My wife had been watching movie a fell asleep. I was startled from sleep during a movie where the voices sounded as two plive eople were in the room and not where speakers are. I was so startled I had to shut it off.

The MC2500 has done that in the past surprising me with voices whispering where no speaker is by whispering in my ear. I had Room Perfect signal feeding it. You can definitely get a black background and noise floor with these amps when the preamp is a good match. But this was startling convincing sound field depth. A convincing real conversation in a deep sound field.at least 6 ft from speakers MC2500 is truly great amp when paired with great speakers

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom