Open Baffle Epiphany!

Wire them out of phase, place them close together facing each other, throw a blanket over them and feed them FM. I usually start with low volume for the first day then add a bit of volume every day till they are broken in.

Wire them out of phase, place them close together facing each other, throw a blanket over them and feed them FM. I usually start with low volume for the first day then add a bit of volume

Interesting, you learn something new here on AK all the time. Thanks

I’m trying out my Dayton PS220-8, I know eventually the harshness on the high end will eventually subside. My question is, ‘how many hours of use will it have to be until it settle down to its optimum performance?’ Currently I have on a makeshift open baffle until it’s final home is completed. Thanks

It'll never completely subside (at least, it hasn't in the pair I've been running in the home theatre every day for a few years now), you'll probably find a notch filter will be required.

Roscoe

How is it with the notch filter?

Everything is a compromise;) A bit less in-your-face sound from the upper midrange peak, but a bit less lively as a result. Try it both ways, and decide which one YOU like better in YOUR system, that's all that really matters...

Roscoe

Everything is a compromise;) A bit less in-your-face sound from the upper midrange peak, but a bit less lively as a result. Try it both ways, and decide which one YOU like better in YOUR system, that's all that really matters...

Thanks Roscoe, will give it time and see what happens and decide on the notch filter down the line.

I am looking at at purchasing a Behringer 2310 active crossover and will only use it for the alpha. Can anyone advise me on the cable needed, I know I will need a xlr to rca. Just want to make sure which exactly before pulling the trigger. Thanks

Two XLR female to RCA male cables and two XLR male to RCA male cables. If you plan to also use the subwoofer out I believe it takes a single XLR female to RCA male cable. You can look at a rear picture of the 2310 and tell for sure on all this.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4785

If you want to use your own cables these XLR to RCA adaptors will also work.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=XLR+to+RCA+adaptors

Thanks PG

Nelson Pass design, correct. 5 hrs or so listening time and it good. Bass is nice and tight. I have added an L pad to the FR drivers and adjust as needed. Don't think i need 4 woofers. Mabey down the road I'll try some of those expensive woofers. I don't need thumping bass. Just quality bass and this design is headed in the right direction. It seems defined, not spread out. Mind you I'm only using 2a3's SET's on the woofers. Wondering if more power down there would make a difference. Wife doesn't like em' . She have to deal with it.

Beautification underway,DSC_0322.JPG to keep peace. My wife doesn't care for the way the drivers stick out because of the color. I'm looking around for FR'ers that have a lighter tone cone. Suppose grill covers would solve this issue. Say's she liked the Cornwalls.I'll eventually reproduce these with some kind of laminate ply. SLOB are performing well. I've implemented an stereo L-pad so I can attenuate the FR drivers as needed. Different attenuation levels for different types of music. I have been also considering Lowthers and would appreciate all feedback. Also some different woofers.

Last edited:
mkane, I was using the same block terminals as you until I discovered these. Lowes sells them and they're much easier to use and cheaper.

R4649744-01.jpg

Just found a pair of Zenith 49CZ852 drivers this past week. Have them in 30 x 18 baffles with a 10" folding section. I'm using them without helper tweeters. Also using a EL-84 SEP amp. This combo is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom