First Mcintosh purchase

Yessir, that's what I figured. At that price if I need to send it out, I wont feel too bad.

Yes, on the cabinet...it's pristine. Same for the metal part on the top of the case....no dings or dents.

No, on the manual or other paper work. Silly me I forgot to ask her though. I will text her and ask her to send it along if she comes across it though.

I'll buy the lamp for the tuning meter....looks like it takes a # 1847.

So having a MAC1700 myself I know a lot of people say you need to get the tuner aligned. That said, unless you aren't getting good signal for stations you are used to getting don't fuss it. All my old McIntosh tuners have done a great job without a tune-up. Obviously this varies from unit to unit but it can save you some cash you can put towards other maintenance such as new tubes for the tuner section.

So having a MAC1700 myself I know a lot of people say you need to get the tuner aligned. That said, unless you aren't getting good signal for stations you are used to getting don't fuss it. All my old McIntosh tuners have done a great job without a tune-up. Obviously this varies from unit to unit but it can save you some cash you can put towards other maintenance such as new tubes for the tuner section.

Thanks for the advice...makes perfect sense. I'll know a lot more tonight on how she operates.

Yes, the tuning alignment can be finicky. I have a fair amount of receivers....some spot on, others not so much. My oldest .... a Fisher 500b is still spot on, while some newer ones are off a bit. But, I don't listen to a ton of FM, so it's never really bothered me.

Maybe if I kept my 1700 I'd still be able to see light from the rabbit hole.
I bought my brother a 1900 last year.
I never had them side by side. You could (and I have ) done a lot worse. It's a journey:beerchug:

Honestly,
I got it,
I rebuilt the power supply,
Changed some films for( perhaps) better films.
I thought it sounded pretty nice
(It is /was living in the deep end of the pool.
Oh there are some tantalum caps on the tuner board I changed to films.
Then I sent it out to be aligned.
I don't remember the time line but I gave it to my brother as a retirement present.
I can't say it did anything wrong.
I haven't had it in a year.
I think I could have been happy with it if it were the only gear I had.
It might sound a little underwhelming as a description. I don't pull any punches when I find faults and flaws so you should read this as a glowing endorsement FWIW.

LOL
Man I've been through a lot of gear in the past 8 years. just a couple1 Dynaco,1 Eico, 3 Fisher, and a MA 230 Tube integrateds, several Gas and Sumo power amps and an MC352
Pre amps from Juicy music, Tubes4Hifi, Gas, Emotiva
A monster Sui AU20K, 919, , a Kyocera, a modern Marantz reference integrated.
There's a pair a MC60s that are deeply entrenched here, A pair of Dynaco Mk 3s
a MC2100, an ST70
An Accuphase pre, A C22 CE, a PAS3
The last things i really like I think it's be hard to part with those. I still have several pieces from the beginning.
All i really wanted was a stereo i'd be happy with:dunno:
(There are surely a bunch on this forum who have had (still have many more times gear than i have/had)
It is very much like this

Put the Mac 1700 to work earlier. She sounds great in my spare bedroom. All functions are working properly. FM sounds great and I'd say alignment is spot on.

The amp seems high quality...it reminds me a little of my Sansui 4000. The Mac seems to be a little more detailed but both have good punch and seem a fair amount more powerful than their specs indicate. I can't get over how clean this is...not a mark on the face or cabinet.

I'll order the lamp for the FM tuning meter soon. While I'm in there I'll try to clean the pots and inspect the tubes. Looks like I got lucky on this one.

Put the Mac 1700 to work earlier. She sounds great in my spare bedroom. All functions are working properly. FM sounds great and I'd say alignment is spot on.

The amp seems high quality...it reminds me a little of my Sansui 4000. The Mac seems to be a little more detailed but both have good punch and seem a fair amount more powerful than their specs indicate. I can't get over how clean this is...not a mark on the face or cabinet.

I'll order the lamp for the FM tuning meter soon. While I'm in there I'll try to clean the pots and inspect the tubes. Looks like I got lucky on this one.
Sounds like you couldn't have done better, your purchase price is a steal. Remember, that cabinet alone is worth $150 all day long.
Congrats & enjoy!

Yes...I see the cabinets are going for a fair amount of money. I love this receiver so far. Can't believe it's so mint. I rubbed a little lemon oil into the cabinet the other day....made the grain really stand out.

So I am meeting a guy tomorrow night to look at the Mac 1700 he just listed for $500...I found this thread and now I am really excited! This will be my first Mac as well if I get it...he will play it for me before I decide to buy....fingers crossed all is as nice as he says!
Mac 1700.jpg Mac 1700 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom