High end AV receivers, worst investment in audio?

Then what was your assertion? Free amplifiers?

Sorry, don't buy it nor would want to be stuck with an 85 lb boat anchor when processor standards change.

LOL. You don't have to buy it. You can look at the product lineups and just see it. It's not uncommon the TOTL receivers come out with the new stuff before the processors.

Now, I'm a processor man myself, but that doesn't change that the TOTL receivers often get the newest stuff first and may even have more than a comparably priced processor...not even not even counting those free amps.

Unless of course you want to take advantage of faster HDMI switching or 4K resolution.
That's true, like I said everybody does things differently and thats cool. That's the great thing about this hobby, there's alot of different ways to put gear together and many different products to do it with.

Im hooked up for 4k though through my oppo udp 203 and it all works perfectly.

Audiofreak71

Since the thread's title posed an explicit question...

Loudspeakers and cables tend to drop rather rapidly in resale value as well.

Probably not as precipitously as A/V hardware, as the aforementioned classes of products aren't quite as constrained by the incessant march of "technology"/planned obsolescence as are the A/V components, but most of today's $20k loudspeaker models or $1k interconnect pairs will be much less expensive on the used market after 12 to 18 months (to say nothing of after a few years).

Actually it might be interesting to do some metanalysis of sale data and see how the rates of depreciation compare.

Having picked up a pre-HDMI Arcam AVR250 for $125 (down from $2k, I think?) a year or so ago, I'm not wanted to dissuade folks from purchasing them - depreciation is my friend. Sweet sounding 90 wpc as a 2 channel, and very pleasant action on the volume knob... attached to a giant useless box of digital video garbage. Still worth it.

Indeed. While previously mentioning I'm a processor man, that doesn't mean I don't have a receiver too. Picked up a nice condition, fully functional, Yamaha RX-V1700 that has HDMI, room correction, etc., for $1 per pound.

I have that set up in the living room where live with my long time GF/SO. Still trying to figure out if there is a way I can wedge in the main system or if that will forever remain over at my other place, as sort of an uber man cave; the hobby house.

The huge issue no one has mentioned is the ability to repair. You cannot get schematics for these AVR receivers and even if you could, often the chips inside are no longer manufactured.

The vintage amps with discrete components and readily avaliable schematics, on the other hand can be repaired.

For this reason I would caution anyone to NOT spend significant $'s on these old AVR units. In short, the strategy should be to pay little and toss when they fail.

Regards,
Jerry

I like the real estate conservation of the integrated amp I bought. I believe it will serve me well for the rest of my days atop the crust. If I turn out to be wrong about that, I suspect I'll still be able to get a couple bucks for it.

Buying audio is not an investment, imo. Usually not. It is an expenditure for pleasure. As in anything else, a specific model in the right condition can be an investment. A flipper buys right in hope of a return. Few, if any, AVRs represent an investment in anything other than a buyer's expectation of SQ. Let us first define our terms.

That's how I see it, though I will not engage in argument with those who may disagree. And, hey, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
There always seem to be new video and audio formats that new receivers or pre/pros can handle that the older ones can not. The latest object-based audio formats and 4K video completely obsolete older gear that can't handle them. If that matters to you, then you've got to upgrade since the analog interfaces that used to be a haven against obsolescence no long per work. The value of these receivers and pre/pros plummet rapidly.

Back
Top Bottom