It’s official- New MC1.25KW

Wow! I bet those would make your Stradavari's sing, bud!

Just make sure you get two of 'em. ;)

Why anyone would need 1,200 watts for a pair of speakers is absurd. A speaker doesn’t know whether an amplifier has 1,200 watts or 300 watts. A watt is a watt. If the McIntosh amplifier is designed properly, they should both perform to the same specifications! :deal:

Yes, but these go to 12, never mind 11.

That may be true, but all amps have a different QUALITY of sound. The original 1.2KW had a torquey kind of flow/push to the music that was undeniable.

Why anyone would need 1,200 watts for a pair of speakers is absurd. A speaker doesn’t know whether an amplifier has 1,200 watts or 300 watts. A watt is a watt. If the McIntosh amplifier is designed properly, they should both perform to the same specifications! :deal:

Yes, but these go to 12, never mind 11.

That may be true, but all amps have a different QUALITY of sound. The original 1.2KW had a torquey kind of flow/push to the music that was undeniable.

How’s that even remotely possible? Care to explain what causes them to sound different from other McIntosh amplifiers that are in production? If you’re going to make these claims, then the burden of proof is on you.
The reason they did that is they had to go with another vendor for parts, so they decided to also redesign the chassis. When they change inside parts they give it a new name is all. I got this from one of the McIntosh reps at a local audio store when Mac was presenting there.
This was my thinking.

How’s that even remotely possible? Care to explain what causes them to sound different from other McIntosh amplifiers that are in production? If you’re going to make these claims, then the burden of proof is on you.

This was my thinking.

Burden of proof? I don't have to prove anything, that's my "opinion".

Have you heard the MC1.2KWs compared to other McIntosh amps? I have.

There's an ease and flow to these amps that other amps do not exhibit.

A lot of people I know do not like the MC1.2KW amps, I do. I'm looking forward to the new MC1.25KW amps. Thank you McIntosh. So whether it's a new design or not, it is what it is.

Why is everyone getting so testy lately. It's music, not rocket science.

I bought my MC303 precisely because I prefer it to other McIntosh amps, right or wrong, that's what I like.

Last edited:
Differences are subtle. But they can be heard. If you have speakers that take 1200 watts it is even more noticeable 1200 from 300. Going from non quad balanced to quad balanced is also noticeable if you are pushing them. Less noise up top. If I can notice 1000 wpc amp differences in sound between MC2500s bridged to MC1000s I am sure the 1.25KW would sound different driving my XR290S Don’t knock it until you try it. I have tried four different amps same speakers same room. Yes different. A single MC2500 sound different than two.

Read amp shoot out page linked from other threads here. Makes hobby fun if you can swap. Damping factors and noise floor and current affect sound. As does bridged mono and parallel mono. Soundstage depth and openess will change. One you will like better. Remove room acoustic from equation changes are more subtle.

Last edited:
I know, right. 1200 wpc is absurd!

Burden of proof? I don't have to prove anything, that's my "opinion".
When you say it as though it’s a “fact” and then dodge the question, it makes you look very foolish. Here’s quote Stereognat from another thread:
To suggest that one sounds different from the other means that one or the other is coloring the signal (or even both). The guiding principle of McIntosh had always been firmly grounded in NO coloration. Coloration is measured as DISTORTION. When a McIntosh is spec @ x watts 20-20,000 hz with no more than y% THD, it either performs to that spec or it does not. Pure and simple. If one performs and sounds different than another, either it’s out of spec and needs service or mcintosh is LYING about their performance specs!

^ This
Have you heard the MC1.2KWs compared to other McIntosh amps? I have.
That’s what specifications are for, which McIntosh happily provides on their website.
There's an ease and flow to these amps that other amps do not exhibit.
Please elaborate.
A lot of people I know do not like the MC1.2KW amps, I do. I'm looking forward to the new MC1.25KW amps. Thank you McIntosh. So whether it's a new design or not, it is what it is.
That’s great, buy what makes you happy!
Why is everyone getting so testy lately. It's music, not rocket science.
If you showed someone two identical photos of the color brown, and they said that “one looks darker than the other”, would you let them know?

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” - Mark Twain

My favorite Mac amp with Autoformers is the now retired 1.2k. Even at just 12 watts driving XRT 28, Ik, Snell A7 Phantom, older XRT30, and Magnaplanar 3.7, the amp did a miraculous job. I also heard a pair drive Magico s5, and yes the sound is more to my liking than the 601's even though the issue might have been the difference in pre-amps and source material. I've never heard the amps sound bad under any circumstance, and I can't say that for but just a few other amps. A 3500 comes to mind as does the older MC7200. My speakers are a special case and prefer direct coupled amps and as my speakers are tri amped with about 96 db efficiency , my 207 are more than adequate. What would I do with 12 1201's. 2 207's are a much better solution. I wouldn't hesitate to use a pair with my favorite Mac speakers, XR 290's. Now would be a perfect time if a pair of 290's became available to scarf up some 1.2k in the near future. The problem as always is what about a center channel speaker. find another 290 and place the to haves side by side covering the mids on one half.

I know, right. 1200 wpc is absurd!
1200 watts per channel is an absurdity for a speaker that’s 96dB sensitive as it wouldn’t take very much to start inflicting permanent AND (auditory nerve damage)!

The fact of the matter is, your speakers don’t know whether a watt is coming from a 300 watt McIntosh amplifier or a 1.2k watt amplifier. A watt is a watt.
I mean really, nobody has yet scientifically explained these hardcore “sound differences”. :deal:

To say that a brand new McIntosh sounds different because you have two of them makes no sense. To say that a new McIntosh sounds completely different than another new McIntosh makes no sense. To say that 1200 watts is faster than 300 watts makes no sense. To tell me that I’m deaf because I disagree makes no sense.

4-2-7, don’t tell me I’m wrong if you can’t prove it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom