It's Just A Power Cord...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gents

But it sounds so very good.
I switched an old Straightwire power cord from my preamp to a new Zu Birth power cable. It's literally a whole new sound. Like a component change- and it ain't even started to 'burn in'.
More air, more 3D, more liquid vocals...jury is still out on bass.
We can talk all the semi-scientific theory you'd like, cables and power cords are indeed audible and worth a little attention. Me? This is the first time I've ever experienced a genuine power cord upgrade. This Zu BIrth is remarkable.

But it sounds so very good.
I switched an old Straightwire power cord from my preamp to a new Zu Birth power cable. It's literally a whole new sound. Like a component change- and it ain't even started to 'burn in'.
More air, more 3D, more liquid vocals...jury is still out on bass.
We can talk all the semi-scientific theory you'd like, cables and power cords are indeed audible and worth a little attention. Me? This is the first time I've ever experienced a genuine power cord upgrade. This Zu BIrth is remarkable.

... If you like that Zu Birth... Then I've got one that will double the performance of the Zu at 50% the cost. I sell them in two packs though. Just send me a check.

I don't normally get into conversations like this but I looked up said power cord and they say the burn in time is 200 hours. What in the world could possibly be in a power cord that would need "burn in"?

:smoke: You got my attention. So your saying its worth looking into?

The cord was purchased as part of a 'clean up my wires' project. I needed a longer preamp cord and this came as an eBay bargain. I never expected improvement and I'm kind of shocked it made improvements of this nature.
As I said, never saw this before.
Zu is doing this big eBay blast now. It's worth looking into.

I was like, what's he talking about?
Wow.

Now that we are in cutting edge... I have owned some Zu Mission power cords for quite a few years. Funny thing is I had an extra one I took over to a friends house, and he was pretty much of the mindset that this stuff is snake oil. We installed it on an Oppo digital player, and the differences were not subtle. There are improvements in space, tonal balance, low level detail, and bass. Basically everything improved across the board. I took my power cable home, and within a few hours he is texting me "where can i get one of those?" Slowly I have been feeding him my Zu cables, as I have been replacing them with offerings from Pi Audio Group. Anyways, there is a solid value from the Zu product, at least in my experience.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
John, do you know what components Zu uses in the construction of that power cord? I think we would find that it's more than just conductors and connectors.

I had a thought about cables in general and power cords in particular earlier, that pertains to what one may or may not hear with respects to differences in a particular differences. One difference that seems common with most cables, and one that I've noticed on several occasions when replacing one power cord with another, is the more expansive and deeper soundstage. That would correlate with what John heard as improved space.

The thought that crossed my mind, based on member system photos on this forum and others, is that many people have their speakers close to the wall behind them and a rack in between the speakers. You can get a good stereo image that way, but you can't get a sense of space or soundstage depth with a system set up that way. So if someone with that sort of setup were to try a power cord they may well not hear any substantive difference, and they would be accurate in their assessment.

It's food for thought.

Happy listening.

If you don't believe in the value of designer power cords, or don't think break-in is real, skip my post, move along, nothing to see here...

I believe power cords break-in over time. Many times taking as long as 28 days of general use. Most good power cords sound great the first few hours of play - then they die. The life goes out of them and you start to wonder what you have purchased. Just keep them on as long as you can, and when the sound is at its worst, unplug them for at least 24 hours. When back in your system, they will sound great again.

Sounds crazy? It's not, it's called quantum tunneling - a real thing. And we have ears that can hear it.

Good listening...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom