Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Homer4beer

After scoring some new speakers at an incredible price at auction I fly approx 600 miles to pick them up as every courier company I ring either wants ridiculous money to transport them ($600) or won't deal with the auction house.

So I hire a campervan (cheapest hire option) and spend the night in a parking lot at the beach then drive an hour to pick the speakers up the next morning.

Two massive boxes just fit in ( each speaker alone weighs 73kg or 160 pounds without packaging which includes solid mdf board) and I proceed to drive home which takes over 12 hours.

I get home, unload them and set them up with the help of my brother. We love them.

The wife gets home, walks through the door. First thing out of her mouth is " I can't believe those. They look absolutely shit. God I just hate living in this house now (referring to hifi gear). She's bloody unimpressed and angry.

What do you do?!

Sigh......

Speakers in question are Magnat Quantum Signature speakers in gloss black.

https://www.magnat.de/en/audiophile/quantum-signature/

magnat-1500x1000.jpg

No she knew I'd bought them because I told her. She knew everything! Even wanted to come with me on the road trip! Then she saw them set up.......

The womans aesthetics function kicked in and she saw red.......

My wife wasn't impressed by my mission 770 at first but she got use to them eventually.
Nice speakers by the way
:rockon:

After scoring some new speakers at an incredible price at auction I fly approx 600 miles to pick them up as every courier company I ring either wants ridiculous money to transport them ($600) or won't deal with the auction house.

So I hire a campervan (cheapest hire option) and spend the night in a parking lot at the beach then drive an hour to pick the speakers up the next morning.

Two massive boxes just fit in ( each speaker alone weighs 73kg or 160 pounds without packaging which includes solid mdf board) and I proceed to drive home which takes over 12 hours.

I get home, unload them and set them up with the help of my brother. We love them.

The wife gets home, walks through the door. First thing out of her mouth is " I can't believe those. They look absolutely shit. God I just hate living in this house now (referring to hifi gear). She's bloody unimpressed and angry.

What do you do?!

Sigh......

Speakers in question are Magnat Quantum Signature speakers in gloss black.

https://www.magnat.de/en/audiophile/quantum-signature/

magnat-1500x1000.jpg

Impressive ! ... not just the speakers, but the effort involved in the acquisition also ! When was the last time you put that much impressive effort into your relationship with your wife ??? get me ? Sounds like its time to wine and dine....

:hug::thumbsup:

Thanks guys. The finish is impeccable. The black paint finish is like a mirror, absolutely flawless.

I did a quick test listen with them using my Marantz PM7200 amp and was a little underwhelmed, I hope, because of the amp.

I'll install the new Magnat amp tomorrow and see how that goes.

GViXWW.jpg

Do you think these speakers need running in?

Last edited:
OUCH! Now that's a kick in the rear for sure. Sounds like you need a mancave where her opinion doesn't matter as much. In this case where they're in her space boxing them up for a while and being downright miserable for the whole time (make her feel sorry for you) just might be a good option

Impressive ! ... not just the speakers, but the effort involved in the acquisition also ! When was the last time you put that much impressive effort into your relationship with your wife ??? get me ? Sounds like its time to wine and dine....

:hug::thumbsup:

I can see what you are getting at but I've been a good lad. Planned our whole honeymoon, only 5 months ago married. She broke her ankle recently and I sacrificed a sleep in every day for 2 weeks (my holidays) to take her to work and pick her up and the end of the day.

She had a crappy evening at work so I'm hoping that was part of it and it will blow over in the morning :idea:

OUCH! Now that's a kick in the rear for sure. Sounds like you need a mancave where her opinion doesn't matter as much. In this case where they're in her space boxing them up for a while and being downright miserable for the whole time (make her feel sorry for you) just might be a good option

Yea I really do but we are in a rented house that's quite small so it's hard. I do understand that she may feel like she doesn't have a space for herself and I am ruining her space. We have been planning a house build for over 3 years which has been nothing but dramas however when we finally get it done that problem should be solved.

The speakers were an unexpected purchase but I just couldn't pass up such an amazing deal.

Seriously, if you want to keep her, and your sanity in the same house, then you need to help her find ways to cope with her anger and frustration that are not abusive, demeaning, condescending, and disrespectful to you. If you allow yourself to be her whipping post, eventually you will stockpile a hoard of resentment that cannot be overcome.

I just showed Mrs Z the picture and she said , "there's nothing wrong with those speakers" . Then again , I convinced her we needed HPM 150's in the bedroom . :banana:

My sister in law sided with her when my brother showed his wife the pic of them. She (the sister in law) did say sorry to me though lol

Seriously, if you want to keep her, and your sanity in the same house, then you need to help her find ways to cope with her anger and frustration that are not abusive, demeaning, condescending, and disrespectful to you. If you allow yourself to be her whipping post, eventually you will stockpile a hoard of resentment that cannot be overcome.

She's pretty good normally. I'll see how things go over the next few days. I ain't giving these speakers up though I can tell you (and her) that lol

Can you put them n the corners? That way you get what you want, and she doesn't have to stare at them all the time. Just a thought. I'd probably tell my wife to f..k off, but she's as good at ball busting as I am. She would tell me to do the same. It's all good

Back
Top Bottom