It’s official- New MC1.25KW

My favorite Mac amp with Autoformers is the now retired 1.2k. Even at just 12 watts driving XRT 28, Ik, Snell A7 Phantom, older XRT30, and Magnaplanar 3.7, the amp did a miraculous job. I also heard a pair drive Magico s5, and yes the sound is more to my liking than the 601's even though the issue might have been the difference in pre-amps and source material. I've never heard the amps sound bad under any circumstance, and I can't say that for but just a few other amps. A 3500 comes to mind as does the older MC7200. My speakers are a special case and prefer direct coupled amps and as my speakers are tri amped with about 96 db efficiency , my 207 are more than adequate. What would I do with 12 1201's. 2 207's are a much better solution. I wouldn't hesitate to use a pair with my favorite Mac speakers, XR 290's. Now would be a perfect time if a pair of 290's became available to scarf up some 1.2k in the near future. The problem as always is what about a center channel speaker. find another 290 and place the to haves side by side covering the mids on one half.

I still dig two XR290s running Phantom center for HT. The idea of a sideways 290 with tweeters at ear level is my old XRT20 And XR19 stack on steroids. Talk about some speakers able to bring out a full choir. Seems like only correct way would be projection and full upright XR290 middle and a acoustic transparent screen. Put a pair of IDS-25s as rear surrounds.

Twiiii you are a dream planter and enabler and for that I am indebted else I would have never pursued XR290s. Problem is you keep planting the MC1.2KW seeds, that are trying to germinate.

Last edited:
1200 watts per channel is an absurdity for a speaker that’s 96dB sensitive! It wouldn’t take very much to start inflicting permanent AND (auditory nerve damage).

The fact of the matter is, your speakers don’t know whether a watt is coming from a 300 watt McIntosh amplifier or a 1.2k watt amplifier. A watt is a watt.
I mean really, nobody has yet scientifically explained these hardcore “sound differences”. :deal:

Just gave my MC2600s the boot in favor of my MC225 - thanks for the guidance.

Absolutely correct. I'm sorry for painting with a broad brush. All you regulars are the ones that I highly respect and learn so much from. Thank you. I appreciate all the help, guidance and advice.

Edited by Mod. We are done with aggression in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
http://hifipig.com/mcintosh-announces-mc1-25kw-quad-balanced-power-amplifier/

McIntosh_MC1.25kw_amplifier_hifi_news_Nov_2017_ol.jpg

McIntosh_MC1.25kw_amplifier_hifi_news_Nov_2017_ol2.jpg

Last edited:
MC1.25KW is a fantastic amp and will bring a lot of pleasure to many. Of course you can say no one needs 1200 watts which is true in a sense just as no one needs a 200HP Kawasaki, GT350 Mustang or a $250,000 kitchen. But we buy them anyway even though we can survive without.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thank you Ron. I have been wanting a pair of the original MC1.2KW amps. I am glad that I waited and I am looking forward to finally getting these in my home.

Any idea of when these will start shipping?

MC1.25KW is a fantastic amp and will bring a lot of pleasure to many. Of course you can say no one needs 1200 watts which is true in a sense just as no one needs a 200HP Kawasaki, GT350 Mustang or a $250,000 kitchen. But we buy them anyway even though we can survive without.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Wow Joe, I see the usual nay sayers are at it again when they should not even be posting in this thread with no experience or clue that amps can sound different. Gee, why would McIntosh sell 20 some amps if they were all identical and nobody could hear the difference just from reading specs?

That's why we post at AS to eliminate that factor.

I hope to see a pair in your next system photos!

Yes sir. At least on AS I have more control. ;)

I like this community here. The seasoned veterans are a wealth of knowledge.

Totally agree about the amps. I've had so many and no two were alike. Every amp from every manufacturer like Pass Labs, Bryston and McIntosh etc. all sound different from each other. And within the same line, all sound different.

It's great to see another friendly face here :)

Wow Joe, I see the usual nay sayers are at it again when they should not even be posting in this thread with no experience or clue that amps can sound different. Gee, why would McIntosh sell 20 some amps if they were all identical and nobody could hear the difference just from reading specs?

Thank you Ron. I have been wanting a pair of the original MC1.2KW amps. I am glad that I waited and I am looking forward to finally getting these in my home.

Any idea of when these will start shipping?
In addition to the 303? Wow ...

I've been thinking about that. I'd most likely let go of the MC303 when I am finally situated with the MC1.25KWs. Seems kind of redundant or at the least, not necessary. I am not into multi-channel, just 2 channel stereo.

In addition to the 303? Wow ...

That’s a very arrogant thing to say, wow.

Back
Top Bottom