C2500 USB not working

wstrickland1

Posting to see if anyone has any input (no pun intended) on the subject of the C2500 USB section. I have had this unit since early 2014 and it's been sonic heaven to say the least. Everything sounds incredible; phono, analog and digital sources. There was a period of time a couple of years ago that the usb input was quirky and I'd have to power cycle to get it working. I tried another cable and it was fine ever since. Until a couple of weeks ago that is. I then tried everything from (2) other Mac computers, a windows machine, new, decent quality USB cables including a brand new Audioquest Cinnamon and a Wire World Starlight 7. Also I've reset the machine. I should also mention that the other digital inputs work perfectly. It's an awesome sounding machine.

What else could I be missing? I certainly hope it's something simple but am getting that nervous feeling about it.

Pretty sure it's 1.00 and the USB is 2.2

Not 100% sure about the USB as I'm not home now but remember it was behind what is "current".

You should see McIntosh ASIO in the Midi section of your Mac. This will need to be selected as a playback device.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I now do not see it as an output choice when I select "sound" from the settings menu. I see internal speakers, Denon AVR HDMI (it runs thru that for video) and a couple of airplay choices but no more McIntosh. It used to show up there but now does not on either of the 3 macs I tried. Maybe there's another place I need to go to turn something on?

It would be great to know you Operational Software Version????
Do you see Denon AVR in the midi section?

Thanks,
Ron-C

Have you tried different USB cables during all your experiments?

yes indeed, a brand new Audioquest Cinnamon and a brand new Wireworld Starlight 7. Some generic stuff as well

It would be great to know you Operational Software Version????
Do you see Denon AVR in the midi section?

Thanks,
Ron-C

V 1.00 and USB is 2.10

I do see the Denon and can actually play the computer(s) through it

Pull the HDMI cable from the Computer and you will probably be able to connect USB.

Final and latest Operational SW is V2.11 and USB SW is V2.21 for the C50. It would be best if you have your C50 brought up to these versions.

Thanks, Ron-C

Pull the HDMI cable from the Computer and you will probably be able to connect USB.

Final and latest Operational SW is V2.11 and USB SW is V2.21 for the C50. It would be best if you have your C50 brought up to these versions.

Thanks, Ron-C
Yes I agree I need to update, but would that really stop it from working? Maybe it would I just dont know enough about these things

I have tried with HDMI disconnected and the computers still don't recognize the USB from my C2500

So it appears that USB functionality is dead. I did speak to AC and of course the first order of business will be updating firmware but I think everyone knows that is just a formality. I really don't think outdated firmware would just all of a sudden cause that input not to work, especially given that the other digital inputs work perfectly. Of course it's possible but...

They are checking to see if there is some place that will work on it within driving distance of me because I really don't want to risk a round trip to New York via Fed Ex unless I simply have no other choice. They will certainly help me but of course I have to get it there. That is what it is. If that doesn't work out I will consider an external USB dac. I found the USB on my machine to sound vastly superior to the spdif input. Maybe it is related to my mac mini but it is quite a bit better.

Do any of you have a suggestion for dac that would pair well with my C2500? I would like to keep it under $1,000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the coax and optical inputs work this means the digital board is working fine. The USB input will add the USB receiver section and the connector to the cable. It looks like you have lost USB two way communication which could be:
1-Damaged USB connector, carefully inspect the center section of the connector. These can be changed to a new one on the digital board if the connector is damaged.
2-Software update on the computer has changed the way the computer's USB output port used is working. Have you tried the other USB outputs on the computer to see if one favors audio over the others?
3-The cable has somehow failed. Test with Generic USB 2.0 cable.

thanks,
Ron-C

If the coax and optical inputs work this means the digital board is working fine. The USB input will add the USB receiver section and the connector to the cable. It looks like you have lost USB two way communication which could be:
1-Damaged USB connector, carefully inspect the center section of the connector. These can be changed to a new one on the digital board if the connector is damaged.
2-Software update on the computer has changed the way the computer's USB output port used is working. Have you tried the other USB outputs on the computer to see if one favors audio over the others?
3-The cable has somehow failed. Test with Generic USB 2.0 cable.

thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks Ron. Anything is possible but I don't think the connector is damaged. It quit working all of a sudden but I do know that weird things can happen. Maybe it's not physical damage or at least not obvious physical damage. I have tried several different (and brand new, known working) high quality cables and generic cables. As for #2 that is certainly a possibility. I have tried (2) PCs (with the McIntosh Driver for Windows) and (3) different Macs; A mac Mini, a Macbook Pro and an Imac. Nothing recognizes the C2500.

When you say to try other USB outputs, do you mean different physical usb ports or do you mean something else? Lord knows I would love to get this worked out. The machine sounds so sweet that it's unbelievable. So sweet that I'm not even mad at it..... ;)

And of course update the C2500 software first. The center pin section of the USB connector can be damaged when changing cables so they should always be installed and extracted with a gentle push. Some cable are very tight and may crack the connector when removed to fast.

Thanks,
Ron-C

You have to reset the microprocessor. See page 26 of the manual or below.

Reset of Microprocessors
In the unlikely event the controls of the C2500 stop functioning, the microprocessors can be reset by per- forming the following:
1. Press and hold the STANDBY/ON Push-button for approximately ten seconds and then release.
2. To switch the C2500 back On press the On STANDBY/ON Push-button.
Note: This can be performed with the C2500 On or in the Standby Mode.

You have to reset the microprocessor. See page 26 of the manual or below.

Reset of Microprocessors
In the unlikely event the controls of the C2500 stop functioning, the microprocessors can be reset by per- forming the following:
1. Press and hold the STANDBY/ON Push-button for approximately ten seconds and then release.
2. To switch the C2500 back On press the On STANDBY/ON Push-button.
Note: This can be performed with the C2500 On or in the Standby Mode.

Thanks man but that's one of the first things I did. No go. I have to send it back to Audio Classics I suppose. Hate to do it but it's looking like my best option.

Not sure what type of USB connector Mc are using on that board, but it could just have a dry joint or something and has lost contact. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.....

Not sure what type of USB connector Mc are using on that board, but it could just have a dry joint or something and has lost contact. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.....
Yeah I just hate parting with it for that long. I also hate to put it in harms way but the factory shipping boxes are pretty secure. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet I suppose.

hi wstrickland1, did you ever fixed your issue, or have it fixed - and know what the issue finally was?
kind regards, juan

hi wstrickland1, did you ever fixed your issue, or have it fixed - and know what the issue finally was?
kind regards, juan

I have to send it off to be repaired and I doubt I'll ever do that. The bad thing is I bought a MAC6700 that has basically the same dac setup and it ended up doing the exact same thing. I won't quote anyone but just know that is absolutely a known issue that may or may not (some day) be permanently fixable. I guess I should be upset about it but I love both pieces so much I'm not. The optical and coaxial both work fine so if I absolutely need USB I can always add a new dac. In fact I do use an Oppo Sonica and a Klipsch Heritage headphone amp/dac from time to time to do USB. The way I see it if I had a C2200 or C2300 I wouldn't have a dac at all

Back
Top Bottom