Today's Frank Zappa Playlist

Funny, I was just checking this out yesterday, trying to catch up on the Zappa family feud, and ran across this version of a great Zappa tune. Looks like Dweezil was able to get one of Franks vintage SG's.
I saw ZPZ play this in 2009(?) with special guests Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio. One of the more memorable live performances I've seen since the turn of the century.

Vai, Bozzio (and Brock) performed in 2006 with ZPZ. Do you possibly mean 2006?
It could have been that long ago, I guess. Napoleon was definitely there also. I had thought it was more recent. Maybe I'll check with the friend that I went with and see if he remembers.

Now playing "Absolutely Free". An album that doesn't get mentioned much but one of my favorites.
Plastic people Oh baby now you're such a drag

Overnight Sensation came up on iTunes rotation. What a classic. Lonely dental floss, moving to Montana soon... Sigh. I miss Frank nearly every day.

Got around to mellowing out to BWS, and having not listened to it in quite awhile I reacquainted myself with this little nugget of a tune.

Damn! It's lunch time here and this makes me hungry. Time to grab some Oscar Mayer's and a bottle of French's. Turn-up the fire and let's burn some weeny's!

Thing Fish

3 LP set, EMI

I have this album for about ten years, today I listened to it for the first time. And probably for the last time.

I think that the libretto of this sociocritical opera buffa is half the fun. Although I can read it via booklet while listening to Thing Fish, I only understand less than 20%. But this is not the main problem. The main problem is that the musical value of this poor piece of workmanship is almost zero.

Frank produced even more bs in the eighties, as every hardcore FZ disciple may confirm...

Thing Fish
The main problem is that the musical value of this poor piece of workmanship is almost zero.

Frank produced even more bs in the eighties, as every hardcore FZ disciple may confirm...
Good point, Chris. As Zappa fans, many of us are loathe to admit that while he was one of the premier composers of the 20th century, his output was so prodigious that it couldn't all be great. He definitely released some lousy music and I think many of us are reluctant to acknowledge that. Perhaps we're just afraid to admit that we didn't "get" absolutely everything he did.

You know, kind of an "emperor's new clothes" kind of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom