NO LOVE- speaker forum Yamaha speakers

Those Pyramids look good and are rare in my neck of the woods. Will shop around at street markets when I ever get to Cairo. Nice to see some of your stuff Avionic, crystals and all.

The WAF issue comes to the fore! Today is the last of the Amazon Prime sale days, (about 20 minutes left) I saw the Yamaha NS 6490 speakers on sale for $110 for the pair. I have a gift card from my granddaughter for Amazon for $25, so the price to me would be $85. Checking my study shelving it would be possible to fit them in. I mentioned this to my wife and she didn't want me to get them because she felt I had enough good speakers already. She was correct on all counts, so I didn't order them. Actually I was more curious about how they sounded. I'll be sticking with my Pioneer SP-BS22LR speakers, which I am listening to at this moment (2:45 AM), perhaps some other time.

The WAF issue comes to the fore! Today is the last of the Amazon Prime sale days, (about 20 minutes left) I saw the Yamaha NS 6490 speakers on sale for $110 for the pair. I have a gift card from my granddaughter for Amazon for $25, so the price to me would be $85. Checking my study shelving it would be possible to fit them in. I mentioned this to my wife and she didn't want me to get them because she felt I had enough good speakers already. She was correct on all counts, so I didn't order them. Actually I was more curious about how they sounded. I'll be sticking with my Pioneer SP-BS22LR speakers, which I am listening to at this moment (2:45 AM), perhaps some other time.

I can describe their sound if I may, as I was given a pair of them: loud, middy, somewhat muddy all around but not terrible. It's a 3 way with 8" woofer ran wide open, a small mid with single cap and a cheap mylar tweeter with single cap. Lots of overlapping of frequencies between the drivers, a lot of mids and not enough bass for the volume. No real crossover. Very resonant, undamped & unbraced 3/8" cabs.
But they're efficient and loud party boxes. Not bad for free or used for dirt cheap, but not worth $100 in my opinion.

I am an admitted Yamahalic, but it is difficult for anyone to have a good grasp of Yamahas speakers because they made so darn many of the past few decades. Not so many high end models sadly, but lots of low-to-mid end models that I am aware of. I would try and stay aware from the models that they made for "packaged" systems (audio and HT) as these were subject to cost down processes. Sadly, it is hard to tell which ones these are (I bought my fair share of these not knowing in advance what they were). The cabinets on them are the first sign, VERY thin and cheap sounding when you knock on them. I imagine the speaker magnets on the mids and woofers would also be very small to keep costs and speaker weights down. NS10s are known for brutal honesty, which is why they gained quite a rep with sound engineers, but that may not translate to a sound you might be happy with for enjoyment at home (I had them for a short while). I always did want to try NS10MM (mini-monitors) in a locations such as yours, but I have never seen these in real-life, and not even sure if ever sold in the USA. When I wanted to upgrade my den's computer system sound, I looked into Yamaha's small commercial powered speakers, and I am VERY happy with my MS101 II monitors. I added a small Yamaha subwoofer under the desk for when I want to rock out (model YST-SW20), the three are great together for a small room. I would probably look at the HS5 Powered Studio Monitor Speaker if I was in the market right now, they are also powered and have an all black look with cool white woofers like the NS10s.

Back
Top Bottom