It’s official- New MC1.25KW

So how about we try this tact......since some do not believe in the need for mega power and not counting the Dead concert I attended at Cobo in 1977; the first time I heard really big power was a pair of monoblocked MC2300s driving a pair of Mac XR7s on our sales floor in 1978.....that was the first time in a home audio system I had a chance to hear effortless power.

Next time was a pair of bridged MC2500s driving XR19s, must have been 1983, we even grabbed our Mac variac out of the back room to make sure we were getting 120 volts....two installed systems for clients later and I have not had a chance to do it again in a home setting.

Anyone else remember their first time.......

So how about we try this tact......since some do not believe in the need for mega power and not counting the Dead concert I attended at Cobo in 1977; the first time I heard really big power was a pair of monoblocked MC2300s driving a pair of Mac XR7s on our sales floor in 1978.....that was the first time in a home audio system I had a chance to hear effortless power.

Next time was a pair of bridged MC2500s driving XR19s, must have been 1983, we even grabbed our Mac variac out of the back room to make sure we were getting 120 volts....two installed systems for clients later and I have not had a chance to do it again in a home setting.

Anyone else remember their first time.......
A favorite college night club. DJ booth Had a rack of silver MC2500s driving JBLs suspended over dance floor. Next time my own set of Bridged MC-2500s driving my XR19 and XRT20 stack. Effortless is the right word.

Last night I played MC1000s driving XR290s. Played a lot of live recorded jazz. I limited sound to 12 watt peaks as twiiii talks in his post. The openess, sound stage and realistic clear live sound was incredible and yes effortless. Then played same music on my XRT20s in bedroom same approximate level 12 watt level single yamaha pro amp. Though damn nice and sartling but not effortless not mistaken for live. . Time to fire up the MC2500s charge the caps again and determine if they stay.

Some say overkill and crazy. It is hard to adjust back. I remember when I had one MC2500 originally, then two then one for six weeks while one was serviced. Always a difference alwaysbetter sounding with two.

Back in the day, exclusively using a turntable, you could just feel the tension, almost electricity in the air knowing that a improper disastrous cueing could send speaker parts across the room.

Back in the day, exclusively using a turntable, you could just feel the tension, almost electricity in the air knowing that a improper disastrous cueing could send speaker parts across the room.
I know of what you speak!

Thank you.

I wasn’t expecting the amps to be announced so soon. It caught me off guard a little. I was planning on a new preamp but not sure the numbers will work in my favor. The pre may have to wait.

You can count me as green with envy and happy for you at the same time too! Is a new preamp coming too?

People, stay on topic and off of trolls. I have done a bit more cleanup. Once more and I will close this thing.

Take the interpersonal stuff, and choosing up sides outside.

I think I've been pretty patient here, but we are coming to the end of it.

Timeouts are available for folks that don't listen.

Rich P

I wasn’t expecting the amps to be announced so soon. It caught me off guard a little. I was planning on a new preamp but not sure the numbers will work in my favor. The pre may have to wait.

Congrats, will need to see photos and vids soon.

I’m not expecting delivery until late next month, hopefully if I’m lucky. Information seems a little scarce but I’m definitely working to make it happen.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Congrats, will need to see photos and vids soon.

Effortless is a good description. When I heard the Mc600 Monos driving the B&W 802Ds at Best Buy, that was exactly how I described it. The music just oozed effortlessly out of the speakers and the soundstage was as big and tall as I can remember hearing. Maybe too high up for my liking, but very impressive. Then the guy had me listen to the latest Rotel gear driving smaller SF and you could hear the music struggling to get out compared to the MC-B&W setup. So do you "Need" that much power? Maybe not, but there is surely a difference when you do, and if you have speakers that like more power to open up fully, why not if one can afford it. You don't NEED a Rolex because it doesn't tell time any differently than a Timex, but if you can afford one and want one, go for it.

Joe, I can't wait to hear your impressions in a month or so, big congrats, but I still don't think they will be the last ones :)

:thumbsup: It's like a big block engine vs a small 4 cylinder. These will be my last, I promise. I can't afford them but it will happen. Plus they are way too heavy to move. Once in place, I'm done. :)

Effortless is a good description. When I heard the Mc600 Monos driving the B&W 802Ds at Best Buy, that was exactly how I described it. The music just oozed effortlessly out of the speakers and the soundstage was as big and tall as I can remember hearing. Maybe too high up for my liking, but very impressive. Then the guy had me listen to the latest Rotel gear driving smaller SF and you could hear the music struggling to get out compared to the MC-B&W setup. So do you "Need" that much power? Maybe not, but there is surely a difference when you do, and if you have speakers that like more power to open up fully, why not if one can afford it. You don't NEED a Rolex because it doesn't tell time any differently than a Timex, but if you can afford one and want one, go for it.

Joe, I can't wait to hear your impressions in a month or so, big congrats, but I still don't think they will be the last ones :)

I’m not expecting delivery until late next month, hopefully if I’m lucky. Information seems a little scarce but I’m definitely working to make it happen.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Congrats as well. I am jealous...in a way that allows me to celebrate your purchase and to look forward to your ownership experience. Sure, there is no need for 1,250 watts per channel but there is a desire for 1,250 watts per channel and that is far more important.

A favorite college night club. DJ booth Had a rack of silver MC2500s driving JBLs suspended over dance floor. Next time my own set of Bridged MC-2500s driving my XR19 and XRT20 stack. Effortless is the right word.

Last night I played MC1000s driving XR290s. Played a lot of live recorded jazz. I limited sound to 12 watt peaks as twiiii talks in his post. The openess, sound stage and realistic clear live sound was incredible and yes effortless. Then played same music on my XRT20s in bedroom same approximate level 12 watt level single yamaha pro amp. Though damn nice and sartling but not effortless not mistaken for live. . Time to fire up the MC2500s charge the caps again and determine if they stay.

Some say overkill and crazy. It is hard to adjust back. I remember when I had one MC2500 originally, then two then one for six weeks while one was serviced. Always a difference alwaysbetter sounding with two.
That may have been a club that @twiiii was involved with the install!

Hey guys! I've been jammin on my McIntosh systems lately and just heard about the new MC1.25KW mono and had to drop in. I want to get one and want the low-down on how to snag one. I know the guy at a local shop here -- what do you guys think I should offer him? I am a pro negotiator (it's how I made my millions) and I really want to stick it to the sales guy pretty good. I'm like DJT with the deals. What is a good starting point? I'll do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom