Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Or get one of the Harmony Hub based remotes, lets you set up an IR blaster for each component so you don't have to worry about where the remote is pointed (and supposedly Alexa will work with it as well, although I haven't tried that yet).

If the priority is truly getting the "our house" built ,why spend money on the speakers?

Our plans have been ongoing for over 3 years. We had local government approval for the design however when the plans went to be certified there was an error in levels so we've had to pay more money to the local government for an approval to vary from the original levels.

So the house is stuck in red tape nonsense. No lack of trying!

Sorry man but I really can't blame your wife.

For a room that size, there's way too much going on plus, you have lost the entire window.

Rented house with furniture from our old home we used to own. You do the best you can with what you have. We were not going to waste good money on furnishing a rental home for less than two years while building.

Poor design of the living room of the rental means nowhere else to place what we have.

Yes she knew. I mentioned it in the thread early on that she was keen to do the road trip with me to pick them up.

Good to keep them involved I have found. Just like the wife looking over my shoulder when on the computer and asking questions.
Hopefully six months from now the speakers will be a non issue. Grown accustom to seeing and listening to them.

Barney

Rented house with furniture from our old home we used to own. You do the best you can with what you have. We were not going to waste good money on furnishing a rental home for less than two years while building.

Poor design of the living room of the rental means nowhere else to place what we have.
Hang in there, it should all work out in the end.

If the white thing has to stay I would cover it with a black cloth.

I can see what you are getting at but I've been a good lad. Planned our whole honeymoon, only 5 months ago married. She broke her ankle recently and I sacrificed a sleep in every day for 2 weeks (my holidays) to take her to work and pick her up and the end of the day.

She had a crappy evening at work so I'm hoping that was part of it and it will blow over in the morning :idea:

That you "sacrificed" sleeping in to drive your wife to work with her broken ankle speaks volumes. As others have said, the system simply overpowers the space. I have a passion for audio toys, but would not want to spend two years with that arrangement. However, that's just me. I really hope all works out good for you.

After scoring some new speakers at an incredible price at auction I fly approx 600 miles to pick them up as every courier company I ring either wants ridiculous money to transport them ($600) or won't deal with the auction house.

So I hire a campervan (cheapest hire option) and spend the night in a parking lot at the beach then drive an hour to pick the speakers up the next morning.

Two massive boxes just fit in ( each speaker alone weighs 73kg or 160 pounds without packaging which includes solid mdf board) and I proceed to drive home which takes over 12 hours.

I get home, unload them and set them up with the help of my brother. We love them.

The wife gets home, walks through the door. First thing out of her mouth is " I can't believe those. They look absolutely shit. God I just hate living in this house now (referring to hifi gear). She's bloody unimpressed and angry.

What do you do?!

Sigh......

Speakers in question are Magnat Quantum Signature speakers in gloss black.

https://www.magnat.de/en/audiophile/quantum-signature/

magnat-1500x1000.jpg

Tell your wife that Dusty said she should leave you be and go shoe shopping instead. While she's gone, fabricate a nice set of grilles to go over them. Probably can do with some quarter-round and a mitre saw, velcro and some material that looks good in your home.

I think we've beaten up on Homer enough, don't you? Poor guy. Writes in to his favorite hifi site to seek a little support after his wife lands a left hook (granted: deserved), I give him unsolicited marital counseling, others tell him how ugly his speakers are, and still others pee on his white console. What kind of cruel counselors are we, anyway? Job himself didn't catch this much grief.

Yep. We're a sorry bunch of "friends" piling on like this. In another age, we'd all have pat him on the back and praised him for being the man in his house, putting his foot down, and taking his place at the head of the household. Yes, we would. What have we become? Soft, that's what! Sensitive and doting and holding up our end of the women's lib battering ram. And helping to swing it!!!!! "Hit him again!" we've cried as we pilloried the poor wretch again and again! "Take that, you scoundrel! You insensitive neanderthal! You . . . you . . . you unrepenting chauvinist!"

Gentlemen! We must awake and open our eyes wide to the wimps we've become! Have you any idea what we are advocating? Before long, women will flee their duties of home and hearth! They will desert the very children suckling at the breast! They will ascend to heights unnatural, foreign, and unbefitting of the weaker sex! I shiver to think that - as horrid a thought as even to imagine! - they may one day . . . DRIVE AUTOMOBILES!!!!!!!!!! There! I've said it. Behold and be forewarned, my friends!

Homer, we have wronged you our beer-drinking, club-swinging keeper of the flame! We must reclaim that which we have forsaken. We must ascend once again the great heights that we once knew and inhabited! Oh, how we have fallen!

GeeDeeEmm

I think we've beaten up on Homer enough, don't you? Poor guy. Writes in to his favorite hifi site to seek a little support after his wife lands a left hook (granted: deserved), I give him unsolicited marital counseling, others tell him how ugly his speakers are, and still others pee on his white console. What kind of cruel counselors are we, anyway? Job himself didn't catch this much grief.

Yep. We're a sorry bunch of "friends" piling on like this. In another age, we'd all have pat him on the back and praised him for being the man in his house, putting his foot down, and taking his place at the head of the household. Yes, we would. What have we become? Soft, that's what! Sensitive and doting and holding up our end of the women's lib battering ram. And helping to swing it!!!!! "Hit him again!" we've cried as we pilloried the poor wretch again and again! "Take that, you scoundrel! You insensitive neanderthal! You . . . you . . . you unrepenting chauvinist!"

Gentlemen! We must awake and open our eyes wide to the wimps we've become! Have you any idea what we are advocating? Before long, women will flee their duties of home and hearth! They will desert the very children suckling at the breast! They will ascend to heights unnatural, foreign, and unbefitting of the weaker sex! I shiver to think that - as horrid a thought as even to imagine! - they may one day . . . DRIVE AUTOMOBILES!!!!!!!!!! There! I've said it. Behold and be forewarned, my friends!

Homer, we have wronged you our beer-drinking, club-swinging keeper of the flame! We must reclaim that which we have forsaken. We must ascend once again the great heights that we once knew and inhabited! Oh, how we have fallen!

GeeDeeEmm

I hear you brother. My girlfriend is retired now, but she actually had a job. :dunno:

-Dave

My wife hates my speaker collection.

Do I care? Hell no.

I have my own dedicated hifi room and my own ht room. Neither of which she ever goes in.

I would never even think about putting this stuff in the living room (her room with her stuff decorated her way).

8 pages in, here's my suggestion: put the Magnats in storage (well protected, of course), and go with a sub/sat arrangement for the current space. Not only should it be far more aesthetically acceptable, but it may well sound better too. And I'm guessing the Magnats won't be remotely at their best until they are in a larger space, and the 4' vertical tower of drivers can really blend. Then they should be unbeatable.

GeeDeeEmm
Babylon Bee, is that you?

I have been thinking about up grading my speakers too. I have Pioneer CS99a I'm looking at JBL 590's. You can not get more different looking speakers.I should say the whole system is in a room off the living room with the mains only in the living rm. They are placed very close to optimum.The first thing I did was show her pictures of them then went to the Pioneers with a tape measure and showed her the difference in size the Jbl's are 8 1/2 ins taller. Her response was wow they're different and walked away, came back like 20 minutes later and asked are they really that much better? I told her yes , she said when are they coming?Told her I will order them. She said thanks for the heads up and talking to me. Now thats the way you do it gentlemen.

Gentlemen! We must awake and open our eyes wide to the wimps we've become! Have you any idea what we are advocating? Before long, women will flee their duties of home and hearth! They will desert the very children suckling at the breast! They will ascend to heights unnatural, foreign, and unbefitting of the weaker sex! I shiver to think that - as horrid a thought as even to imagine! - they may one day . . . DRIVE AUTOMOBILES!!!!!!!!!! There! I've said it. Behold and be forewarned, my friend.

You must be living in Saudi Arabia now? :eek::D.

Last edited:
Ok can I dispel some misunderstandings?

1. I did not pull the wool over her eyes. I showed her pics and told her I would like to bid on them as they were an amazing speaker at a never to be repeated price. She watched me bid on them, asked how I went. She actively helped me search for a shipping company. When that failed she and I talked about the campervan option.

2. We do not own this house. There isn't a room available for a "man cave" as it is a 3 bedroom home. Master bedroom, office and spare room for guests.

3. The furniture we have is what we have. Wasting money on refurnishing a rental for a short span of (hopefully) 12 -18 months is not wise nor an option.

4. My wonderful wife is usually very tolerant. I think work pressures may have caused her to be a tad less accommodating than usual. We are both frustrated by our cramped spaces, more so her as it ruins her decorating and the way she feels. We are working on solving that problem somehow.

5. The space is a shared space. We do not have any other place in the whole little house for a TV unit. It is what it is.

6. We went out into the city last night and had Malaysian. Her idea and a nice evening. I think I'll be ok with the speakers now (maybe!) but I'm going to have to find ways to make the downstairs area more to her liking.

7. They sound phenomenal! :D

Back
Top Bottom