SA-7500 to SA-9500

lowredmoon

I have a question for seasoned Pioneer enthusiasts: The SA-9500 is rated at nearly double the power of an SA-7500, but does it have an advantage sound wise over the SA-7500? I know this is subjective, and I have read the differences in their measured performance, but I would appreciate some opinions if you have them.
I'm in a position to gain an SA-9500, but may have to sacrifice my SA-7500 to get it. Both units are restored.

Thanks!

I recently read the SA-7500 is a better amp than the later SA-7500 II which I have. I like my later A-717 much better (sonics) & bought both new & they are still mint! Speakers & volume used at may influence things! You may like it loud with the bigger amp. but the smaller one may have it's benefits at low volume.

I bought the SA-9500. It has the word case, and both the case and amplifier are in very nice shape. It works well and sounds great. It sounds a little better than my SA-7500. I think that my Yamaha NS-500s are holding it back from its full potential.

Having enjoyed both over the years but sold them. The 7500 was a very nice unit and maybe nicer all around. The 9500 sounded flat to me.

Barney

Having enjoyed both over the years but sold them. The 7500 was a very nice unit and maybe nicer all around. The 9500 sounded flat to me.

I don't like to have a lot of extra gear hanging around (and man, do I have plenty). I sold the 7500 for a reasonable figure that in the end, resulted in me shelling out a net of $50 for the 9500. I'm going to pair the 9500 with a SPEC-4 once I find some good speakers that I can biamp. It's about time I start focusing on speakers instead of amplifiers. I know I can do much better than my Yamaha NS-500s.
I spent a lot of time building and being obsessed over tube gear. I have found that both tube and solid state have their advantages, and I like both types of gear.

So how do you like the 9500?

Barney
It's a lot cleaner sounding than the 7500 and seems to have more inner detail and smoother tone. Bear in mind though, the both units are almost 50 years old, so differences in sound could be attributed either or both to design, or the differences in wear each has gone through. Both are in very decent shape, though. The 7500 had brand new capacitors throughout, and the 9500 has the original capacitors, so the differences I have observed between them may be generally valid.

I never compared the two head to head with the same speakers. But at different times different speakers. From memory the 9500 seemed hard to find the right spot, to much or not enough.

Barney

I never compared the two head to head with the same speakers. But at different times different speakers. From memory the 9500 seemed hard to find the right spot, to much or not enough.

Barney
I think that both amplifiers are capable of more musical goodness than the speakers I am using are able to reveal. I have run into this bottleneck before...where changing an amplifier doesn't seem to yield much noticeable difference. In some cases, it could be the speaker that is the limiting factor.

From my experience a good source will always make questionable speakers sound good. When selling speakers one should always use a good source. But agree selecting for ones taste is always a good idea.

Barney

From my experience a good source will always make questionable speakers sound good. When selling speakers one should always use a good source. But agree selecting for ones taste is always a good idea.

Barney
Valid point. This is quite evident when I switch between my Technics SL-Q3 and my Oracle Alexandria (with Sumiko FT-3 tonearm), regardless of the cartridge. Man, the Alex is a remarkable turntable. I keep the Technics connected for its automatic function - it's handy when I'm either working around the house, or might fall asleep during a late-night listening session.

Years ago, I wondered why there are two phono inputs on many 70s receivers, integrated amplifiers, and preamps...I found my own answer to that question.

Yeah! Mine is an old Dual rim drive for 78s on one input and a newer unit for LPs on the other!

Back
Top Bottom