What got you into audio, the music or the technology of sound reproduction?

The music first. Then the desire to make it sound as good as affordable.
Then decades gone by and used prices reasonable enough to discover the technology could never before afford.
That and the engineering.
Something sublimely enjoyable to a well engineered piece of kit.

What got you into audio, the music or the technology of sound reproduction?

Umm... Yes? (I don't mean the Prog Band.)

Music!...couldn't afford much back then. Took in "Black Board Jungle", then Elvis as a preteen...I was hooked, and still am, but my interests have in many genres dev.

Q

Neither. My Dad caught the audio bug in the late 1950s. Our house always had audio equipment shuttling in and out of our dining room. AR, Advent, Sherwood, Marantz etc. I got indoctrinated early on.

The goal is still just to recreate the recorded event well enough to fool a blind person. I'll never be able to afford it anyway.

I always liked the music but when at university I got a once a week evening job at the HiFi store owned by my neighbour. That opened my ears to just how good the music I already liked could sound when played on decent gear (I seem to recall he sold a lot of Sansui amps and Elac turntables but not many receivers).

So the answer is both.

My actual descent into the technology started late in my study when I somehow managed to afford a trip to Fiji and bought back a duty free Akai receiver and a Pioneer top loading cassette deck.

Last edited:
I tried to learn how to play an instrument, I tried the guitar and piano and while I could make the notes, I could not make music.

About the time I was realizing this, I went to work with my sisters boyfriend one day.

He took me to Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia, he was there to repair something.

As soon as I saw all the buttons, knobs, switches, sliders and lights.....I was hooked.

Then Edgar Winter was in the studio and started playing and the sound I heard that day I have been chasing ever since......35 years later and I'm pretty close.

Its the music first, as provided by equipment that can produce desired sound quality. I have that, and have had for decades. I am a gear head, by definition, as an engineer. But, it is the music baby.

To prove it, sometimes I fire up my Android streaming box, start KODI and load up some streaming music, and not fire up my main rig, just listening to the music stream with my TV speakers. Sometimes I'll hear something that grabs me, and I'll jump up and fire up the system, and transfer the stream to the big rig. :)

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Yet another "both" here. Grew up loving music from an early age, and the desire to have it sound as good as possible drives the acquisition of good gear. The fact that they are functional works of industrial art is a bonus too.

I am probably not alone in the opinion that unless the music sounds good, (i.e reproduced well in a reasonably sound friendly environment) I'd rather have silence or listen to the news, a podcast or some other non music. Kinda like how I feel about beer. If I can't have something I really like, I'll happily skip it entirely.

Being exposed to shit music, on shit (fairground PA type) speakers, in a shit (large, noisy) space all day at work has made me even less tolerant of those factors elsewhere than I ever was before, and I was already pretty picky. Life's too short for crappy sound, at least try to make it good or don't bother.

Music Sound reproduction.

IMHO ... Liking Music is like ... "so what". Never knew anybody who didn't like music of some type.

Never learned to like stereo from my parents ... they had one of those record console furniture units that you buy at Kmarts back in the day.
They never bought better because they just had no interest in quality sound. Looking at the way things are today (general public) ... maybe they were ahead of their time. :rflmao:

My initial interest in audio reproduction came from military peers in my early 20's. Kind of tinkered w/ it on/off for several decades w/ convenience (car audio/portable) becoming the driver more often than not for my mobile lifestyle at the time.

What really got me into being an audio enthusiast (quality music reproduction at home) was the dollar bin days of Vinyl & the Internet.

Last edited:
I was content listening to music via Logitech speakers on a PC, then a friend introduced me to the idea of better reproduction.
That started the interest in the Tech' side of things, the rest as they say is history.

Can't go back!

Electronics as a near obsession from the age of six led naturally to radio, then reel-to-reel playing after turning salvaged language-lab mono recording gear into stereo, then into playing electric guitar and bass whilst at university -- after bad piano lessons as a kid had erased any musical inclination for a while -- and that led to listening which led to buying hifi gear & car stereos, repeat ad infinitum, and here we are.

When, as a 7-8 year old, riding in the truck with dad... One of the two tapes (8-track) that dad had, CDB upload_2017-11-12_7-46-5.png... Dad would sing along and I would too " I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been..."

To a young boy, who never dreamed of cussing, and certainly not in front of dad, this freedom and the rhythm was so inspiring... I felt like I was eye-to-eye with dad, an equal, and dad just said " we only say that word when it just us guys" ...

Music was a key part in my right-of-passage , my coming-of-age narrative ... I soon had my own record player and my very first record purchase was CDB and The Cars ... The world was my oyster, which soon became a clam-shell case. Music, the sound and the poetry was so instrumental in forming my first philosophical ideas... MUSIC !

The gear came much, much later.

I am probably not alone in the opinion that unless the music sounds good, (i.e reproduced well in a reasonably sound friendly environment) I'd rather have silence or listen to the news, a podcast or some other non music. Kinda like how I feel about beer. If I can't have something I really like, I'll happily skip it entirely.

I agree with this. I know many will listen to and enjoy just about anything that produces sound. However, I've been spoiled by "good" sound. I'm sorta like MB, "The best or nothing".

Back
Top Bottom