Some on eBay for 10 bucks each
Yep I confess it was all my fault I put those capacitors in backwards the way the silkscreen shows them to go and smoked a resistor with the DBT it lit up and I left it on to long R01 went up in smoke i checked almost everything else accept tr05 which I was hoping was still good and I was dead wrong tr05 is fried thanks to me relying on the silkscreen print out..

I am sorry to see you are still having difficulties Willy, but at least you are making progress. :thumbsup: The back-to-front capacitor markings on the F-2844 (small PSU) are a real pain in the backside. It caught me out first time around - luckily that was my own '919, and photographs revealed the error. Perhaps it is time for a reminder of an often forgotten standard procedure, 'when fault finding always check PSU voltages first'. - keep going. :)

Those are G rank so it's best to keep your new ones the same.

You are lucky, those are still easy to find. Hope they are the missing piece to you 919 puzzle.

It's the only thing wrong that I can find as everything else I was able to adjust and the voltage on the good side of tr05 measured a perfect 57v the bad side measured .625v the voltage on tr06 measures a perfect -57 on one side and -40 on the other side.

I am sorry to see you are still having difficulties Willy, but at least you are making progress. :thumbsup: The back-to-front capacitor markings on the F-2844 (small PSU) are a real pain in the backside. It caught me out first time around - luckily that was my own '919, and photographs revealed the error. Perhaps it is time for a reminder of an often forgotten standard procedure, 'when fault finding always check PSU voltages first'. - keep going. :)
And I also found out not to completely trust the DBT if the bulb stays lit for more then a few seconds turn it off or you risk frying something.I only work on my own stuff so no big deal I think I already found the right parts so this thing should be up and running soon .Thank You for all the input I know I can be a pain in the @$$ sometimes

Well I received the used replacement 2sc2259 npn dual transistor from eBay for about $15 including shipping and to my surprise it tested good on one side and a diode junction on the other side so feeling a little frustrated I compared the good side readings on my peak tester to that of a new 2sc1845 and they were pretty close to the same so i soldered the emitters of two 2sc1845s together and put it in place and now I'm getting +44v on pin 4 and -39.5v on pin 6 the schematic calls for +/- 40v on pin4 and pin6 I then flipped the unit over and adjusted f-2833 to a perfect +/- 10v on both channels.My question is should I try to find another 2sc2259 or leave the two 2sc1845s in place?

gain match two 1845's, heat shrink them together with just a dab of thermal grease, install and forget. I too have had less than stellar results with 2259's.
-Lee

Do you think I should try to lower the+44v on pin 4 with a smaller resistor or just run it this way?All of the adjustable voltages are right on the money now and I played it for 3 or 4 hours last night with no problems..Sounds awesome by the way.

Do you think I should try to lower the+44v on pin 4 with a smaller resistor or just run it this way?All of the adjustable voltages are right on the money now and I played it for 3 or 4 hours last night with no problems..Sounds awesome by the way.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the regulator is definitely working (regulating) - and if all the other settings can be achieved (you say they can) then you are good to go - Well Done Willy! :thumbsup:

If you were determined to tweak it, you could first check the ZD01 zener voltage (just measure across the zener), and maybe change the zener for one closer to 24V if it is 'out'. If this is not the case then you could make small changes to the ratio/values of R15 and R14 (keeping the sum of their values the same). - this will finely adjust both the positive and the negative regulators.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it too much, the regulator is definitely working (regulating) - and if all the other settings can be achieved (you say they can) then you are good to go - Well Done Willy! :thumbsup:
The only thing I didn't adjust is the balance on F-2833 and I set those to the center positions.

Yes, for that adjustment you need a very low output signal generator and a distortion analyser. :thumbsup:
I have a signal generator now I need to buy a distortion analyser I guess then I need to take a class on how to use all this stuff

Got 24 hours off for a change and decided to cut the 919 loose among other things.Been playing cds at different volumes for about 4 hours now and it hasn't missed a beat paired with some Klipsch KLF-30S and Klipsch chorus-1s sounds pretty damn good the forte's on the outside didn't make the cut so I'm saving those for the AU-999..20171114_213430.jpg 20171114_213448.jpg

Good work that!!

giphy.gif

No I bumbled through it and didnt pay attention to the great Lee stereos thread and basically fu#$ed the power supply up when I relied on the silk screen print out and put those caps in back@$$words..
Any way the only difference between the mighty X-1 and the 919 that I can tell is the 919 tone controls a treble and bass and the x1 you control the sound through the power level to each speaker in conjunction with the volume.The x1 you can fine tune each song that way..
In the end, it's working and sounds good.

I call that a win.
well it's not like I work on this kinda stuff everyday and I don't really comprehend all of the lingo for every component but I am persistent and sometimes should keep my mouth shut before I make a move...I guess I just need some assurance from the super powers here on AK sometimes.Hell the 919 didn't go up in smoke yet ha ha.

Last edited:
For those who restored the oval caps, are you worried about those new caps inside being over heated? How do you prevent it from happening?

I see some use epoxy, but it's curing time is too long and its permanent. If something goes wrong with the new caps, it will be hard to rework. I was thinking to fill the caps with wax, but wax melting point is too low. Or maybe just use 105C caps and don't worry about it?

Back
Top Bottom