YAMAHA B-3 on the way...to me!

Yup ... but why would you¿ :)
I just want to have the correct information, no more, no less. I hope my B-3 will work forever. But, who can tell?!

P.S.: I am enjoying the sound of the B-3 as I type this message. I'm in heaven, couldn't be more happy by this purchase decision.

Last edited:
clinic-audio, thanks for your detailed explanations regarding the autheticity of those alleged V-FETs. I think it worth a try, to buy a set of four, or a set of two, analize them, measure them and, if genuine, buy more.

clinic-audio, thanks for your detailed explanations regarding the autheticity of those alleged V-FETs. I think it worth a try, to buy a set of four, or a set of two, analize them, measure them and, if genuine, buy more.
To my thinking your problem will be with matching (ranking) the J (N channel) to the K (P channel) devices; Yamaha hand select the V-FET's they used in a given B-3 and in the B-2 where you have to match them in pairs and then to each other, J's to K's, so you'll need to buy a reasonable quantity of each type to have any hope of success should you have a V-FET failure.

Ok, after several listening sessions all I can say is just I cannot be more happier with the B-3, I think this is the best purchase I made so far in audio, alongside with the NS-1000M speakers. Pure bliss! I just wonder how I could be so ignorant and postponed for such a long time this acqusition. B-3 is a such a special amplifier to that extent that now I'm addicted and I want another one. I'm working on this...
I just wonder how will sound on NS-1000Ms, coupled with Trio L-07CII preamp. Heavenly I guess!

Attachments

• IMG_20171103_213814.jpg
    IMG_20171103_213814.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20171103_213900.jpg
    IMG_20171103_213900.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 41
. VFET amps are just pleasantly different with slightly better detailing and more spatial sound (perfect).

I just collect(ed) any VFET amp out there, and mountains of desirable Sony stuff :D
It seems I may have contracted this syndrome as well. Thanks!;)

"V-FETs and Beryllium in acoustic suspension"

Nasty addiction I tell ya. Perfect audio-drug. There is no going back once you had a "taste".

That B-3 is awesome! Cannot wait to get my hands on either a Yamaha or Sony VFET amp. I finally got my Yamaha B-4 power amp fixed (Japan Market dual mono version of the M-4) and she is now singing sweetly once again. I've tried it briefly in class A mode, but have not noticed any difference in sound when driving Dahlquist DQ-10's.

My current B-2 power amp sounds excellent...only out of one channel (sadly). The VFET outputs are dead on one side.

The VFET outputs are dead on one side.
Not wanting to thread jack but here's a thought that I haven't explored completely; I wonder if this would work given that the B-3 is so very similar by design? If you're confident that only the V-FET's are dead on the one side and the rest of the circuitry is fine, you could remove the dead ones and then transplant one pair of V-FET's from the working side to the non working side and you'd have a B-1.75 ... :)

The Chinese seller from which I have bought the B-3 says he has another B-3, but without the original V-FETS. He modified the amp so now is based on some RCA transistors (IRF...). Are these good replacements?
Of course, the price is lowered with like 20% comparing with the one I bought. I told him that I am not interested for the moment, because I do not know for sure what other modifications he operated to this unit. What do you think?
http://r.jwtpp.com/h.DdR6OU?sm=d8a4bb

Last edited:
The Chinese seller from which I have bought the B-3 says he own another B-3, but without the original V-FETS. He modified the amp so now is based on some RCA transistors (IRF...).Are these good replacements?
Of course, the price is lowered with like 20% comparing with the one I bought. I told him that I am not interested for the moment, because I do not know for sure what other modifications he operated to this unit. What do you think?
http://r.jwtpp.com/h.DdR6OU?sm=d8a4bb
Would you drive a Ferrari with a Chevy engine?

Back
Top Bottom