Polk Audio SDA-2

kydog

I have a chance at picking up a very nice pair ( One owner). Yeah or Nah? Are they considered “ A speaker to own” In a lineup of nice ones to have in a collection. The size doesn’t worry me if the Polks sound good. Thanks !

Thanks !! I’ve read that post, It appears to be the only one on this subject. Thought more recent comments would be helpful, Much appreciated

It’s the sda 2 from the listing I read
Polk Audio SDA 2. ( Pictures from his post)

Attachments

• F37F5B09-A297-4275-B20A-340138C0A042.jpeg
    F37F5B09-A297-4275-B20A-340138C0A042.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 669
Hey guys, just out of curiosity what's wrong with these? I thought the SDA 2 line was supposed to be pretty good.

The earlier versions of the SDA speakers with the side by side tweeters are not as desirable. That being said, If you can get them cheap enough, they can sound pretty good with the SDA tweeter disconnected. Hell, the original SDA cable is worth close to $100 on that auction site!

^^^^^Exactly^^^^^
They are not the most desirable model but if you can get them cheap enough they would be worth a shot. If anything their parts value can exceed the market value of the speakers in whole.

The earlier versions of the SDA speakers with the side by side tweeters are not as desirable. That being said, If you can get them cheap enough, they can sound pretty good with the SDA tweeter disconnected. Hell, the original SDA cable is worth close to $100 on that auction site!

Is cheap enough between $200-$300? vs less than. So from what I’m reading the tweeter is the culprit when it comes to sound quality vs the rest of the sda lineup. Or are they made more cheaply than the others.

I have a pair of sda-2b I got for a really smoking deal. Those tweeters result in some types of music just being a bit grating and fatigue inducing up top. There are drop in tweeters that are supposed to fix that. But I have other speakers holding my attention for the time being. My SDA-2b have been disconnected and gathering dust since though.

I wonder if it would be worth it to redo the crossovers and wire the drivers in phase instead?

With speakers I’ve learned one thing: everyone hears differently so what may be irritating or grating to some may not be for others. I’ll let my ears guide me & the price of course with these. I’m the meantime I’ll keep my eyes open for other Polk offerings. Thanks for the advice!

They do look like they are in very nice shape I think also called studios. As told before these do have some issues that are frowned upon by die hard SDA lovers w/ the main thing being those side by side tweeters as in the first generation of the smaller CRS models. Most do disconnect the dimensional tweeter for a better sound. I own fully modded '87 SDA 2Bs and the tweeter switch from the SL 2000 Silver klh 037.jpg domes ( scratchy and high pitched piercing after a while) to the RDO-194s that are offered now was a dramatic and desired mod.

Yeah, for that price, hold out for some SDA 2A or ideally 2B. They all tend to go for ridiculously low prices. Might as well have one of the better ones.

And of course make sure you have a high current amp and a setup that allows 3' open on either side of them if you want to hear what they can do.

Yeah, for that price, hold out for some SDA 2A or ideally 2B. They all tend to go for ridiculously low prices. Might as well have one of the better ones.

And of course make sure you have a high current amp and a setup that allows 3' open on either side of them if you want to hear what they can do.

The why, What & better choice, Exactly the information I needed to make a wise choice. I’m working in Virginia and was on the lookout for vintage gear to use in my apartment here. I have plenty in Tucson lol. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom