Jazz Fusion Playlist

Spinning from the Lenny White posts, here is an enjoyable anecdote.

It is about the song Struttin' from Lenny White's Streamline album 1978, written by Jamie Glaser.

This is from my very close friend who is close to Jamie Glaser, and sent this quote from Glaser's page knowing the artists involved are all fave artists -

from Jamie Glaser about Struttin'-
"So we were in the Hollywood Hills rehearsing for the Lenny White album. Living with the amazing Lenny White , Nick Moroch , Donald Blackman , Marcus Miller and Chaka Khan for a month was some of the most memorable and fun times of my whole musical career.

Marcus was 17 years old but he was the most innovative and fresh bass players I had ever met and many of you know , Bass was actually my instrument , not guitar.

One day I made an agreement with Marcus..I would show him some guitar - jazz-rock fusion phrases I played , and in return he would teach me to play slap bass so I wouldn't sound like a white guy forom Long Island ( LOL ).

He sat me down and showed me some incredible stuff and for homework he asked me to write a song using what he taught me.

I wrote this song and this homework assignment ended up one of the most radio played songs from the Lenny White album. Amazing really how my life and career has been and still is. Thank you friends and thank you beautiful universe . !!!!"

Last edited:
Hiromasa Suzuki - Rock Joint Biwa

4547366059632.jpg

The "CBS Jazz All Stars" concert featured a few tunes off of this album. I have bitter-sweet memories of it. It was one of my best friends & bandmate favorite lp's when it was released, he just loved it and I spun it for him often and he attended concert with me in '77. He was taken away at age 30 in '84 by cancer. That changed my life forever, I was 27. Accordingly I dedicate this to my fallen brother, Johnny.

Steve Khan ~ Tightrope
Columbia, 1977

20171110_171617.jpg

20171110_171636.jpg
Sad to hear about that story CB, I have that album also, in fact after seeing that show way back when, I was in the record store looking not only for the latest Khan record, but Alphonso Johnson, Billy Cobham, and Tom Scott all had releases at that time, hence the tour. I am going to spin that one in a tribute to your good friend, sounding funky so far!!

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
front.jpg
Billy Cobham - Percussion
Tommy Bolin - Guitar (1, 3.b, 4, 6.b)
Jan Hammer - E- & A- piano, Moog
Lee Sklar - Fender bass
Joe Farrell - Flute, Soprano- & Alto sax
Jimmy Owens - Flugelhorn & Trumpet
John Tropea - Guitar
Ron Carter - Acoustic bass
Ray Barretto - Congas
cambridge_cx-2.jpg InkedL980 pic_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Grover Washington, Jr. - Winelight

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
View attachment 1044889
Billy Cobham - Percussion
Tommy Bolin - Guitar (1, 3.b, 4, 6.b)
Jan Hammer - E- & A- piano, Moog
Lee Sklar - Fender bass
Joe Farrell - Flute, Soprano- & Alto sax
Jimmy Owens - Flugelhorn & Trumpet
John Tropea - Guitar
Ron Carter - Acoustic bass
Ray Barretto - Congas
View attachment 1044904 View attachment 1044905
Tommy was another of my favs for guitarists! But, sadly was a victim of "Too much, too fast, too soon".
I've played Stratus with a couple of different groups over the years. Great song to stretch out on, but Tommy did it best.

Tommy was another of my favs for guitarists! But, sadly was a victim of "Too much, too fast, too soon".
I've played Stratus with a couple of different groups over the years. Great song to stretch out on, but Tommy did it best.

He was a fave of mine also. It's too bad he didn't have more time. He would have been a great fusion guitarist had he lived on. I think that was the direction he was headed. He seemed bored with rock towards the end.

He was a fave of mine also. It's too bad he didn't have more time. He would have been a great fusion guitarist had he lived on. I think that was the direction he was headed. He seemed bored with rock towards the end.
I am in complete agreement with this. He was definitely taking things to a higher level. Musically speaking of course.

Bolin flirted with fusion, as did a few other rock guitarists back in the day, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Montrose, Gary Moore, Pat Thrall, Les Dudek, to name a few. It was a nice contrast to have the raw guitar of a non-traditional rocker joining the fusion field, being that jazzrock was the theme of the era. I especially liked Bolin's songs from his Teaser album, like Marching Powder, Homeward Strut. He really shined on those.

Bolin flirted with fusion, as did a few other rock guitarists back in the day, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Montrose, Gary Moore, Pat Thrall, Les Dudek, to name a few. It was a nice contrast to have the raw guitar of a non-traditional rocker joining the fusion field, being that jazzrock was the theme of the era. I especially liked Bolin's songs from his Teaser album, like Marching Powder, Homeward Strut. He really shined on those.

Yes!!! This is a great album. Savannah Woman is one of my favorites from this one for more of a jazzy / Latin kinda feel.
Marching Powder is an appropriate name for that tune! Rocking stuff. :thumbsup:

Yes!!! This is a great album. Savannah Woman is one of my favorites from this one for more of a jazzy / Latin kinda feel.
Marching Powder is an appropriate name for that tune! Rocking stuff. :thumbsup:

I have two Tommy Bolin compilations, besides Teaser and Private Eyes on vinyl. One is on CD, called Whips and Roses, and the other called Whirlwind is on vinyl. Whirlwind is a 2 record set with a 26 minute original version of Marching Powder.

https://www.discogs.com/Tommy-Bolin-Whirlwind/release/4858900

https://www.discogs.com/Tommy-Bolin-Whips-And-Roses/release/1779676

Back
Top Bottom