High end AV receivers, worst investment in audio?

I tend to keep my HT gear because it's easy to buy cheap, and hard to sell for a decent price. I sell most of my 2 channel gear after I've gotten to enjoy it for some time. My current AVR is a yamaha RX-z7 I found for $40 at good will. I spent double that just getting the remotes and calibration mic. My current 2 channel rig is actually Anthem HT separates that I also found at goodwill for $25.My wife that used to roll her eyes at my hobby, but grew to love the HT. She went back to visit her parents, when she came back she remarked she didn't realize how artificial TV's alone sounded.

Last edited:
I have this fairly expensive Marantz SR6006 sitting in a closet. It had an HDMI handshake problem from day one no matter what cable or source I used. It died at age three just after the warranty expired. When I said it died of congestive heart failure I wasn't far off as the darn thing was too complicated for it's on good. I replaced it with an entry level Yamaha RX-V377 which works fine except when it mysteriously changes inputs on it's own. Sound wise they are/were about the same. I learned my lesson regarding expensive AVR's.

marantz_sr6006_av_surround_receiver.jpg

You had problems with it from day one and did not exchange it or get it serviced? Really? Do you often spend over $1000 on something and dont demand it works? If indeed it had "handshake" issues from day one with any source, then it was defective, period. And as for your claim that the RX V377 sounds "about the same"........If a $300, 70 wpc Yamaha sounds the same as a $1100 Marantz then the Marantz truly was defective. Not that that Yamaha is bad or anything, but one of my brothers has a 6006 and it is an ass kicker.

I tend to keep my HT gear because it's easy to buy cheap, and hard to sell for a decent price. I sell most of my 2 channel gear after I've gotten to enjoy it for some time. My current AVR is a yamaha RX-z7 I found for $40 at good will. I spent double that just getting the remotes and calibration mic. My current 2 channel rig is actually Anthem HT separates that I also found at goodwill for $25.My wife that used to roll her eyes at my hobby, but grew to love the HT. She went back to visit her parents, when she came back she remarked she didn't realize how artificial TV's alone sounded.

We just use the TV speakers when watching the news etc, but when we watch dramas etc we use the AVR because it simply sounds better, as it was designed too.

Because that's the part that changes - not so much the amplifier. :)

Reason for replacement?

I paid $440 for a new Emotiva UMC-200 four years ago and don't find any reason to replace it. It has fast HDMI switching, supports a dozen different audio formats, 3D video (have a few of them), ARC control to TV, offers parametric EQ and has useful bass management. Have network connectivity with Samsung monitor, Roku and Oppo 103.

I agree that most gee whiz *features* are mostly useless. I use mine for HT duty only and let the source determine the sound output mode. I find that synthesized surround or multi-channel modes sound - well synthesized. Pass.

Eventually when I'm interested enough to get 4k, I'll need to replace mine.

My two and a half YO UMC-200 died this morning. I immediately called Emotiva and was told they will fix it for free. All I have to do is pay to ship it to them in the proper box. Unfortunately I have misplaced the box and had to buy one from Emotiva. Emotiva is sending me a new one with a prepaid UPS label for a total cost to me of $60. Had I not lost the box my out of pocket cost would have been only the $30 shipping charge. I have already printed the return label and am waiting for the box to be delivered. UPS says I should get it on Wednesday.

I have one system that's completely integrated. That I can still play music is one of the main reasons I've clung to separates. My two channel music system is essentially untouched by this failure. Had I been using any type of receiver I'd be without music until it was returned from being serviced. Part of the reason I've posted this is to give Emotiva their "props".

My two and a half YO UMC-200 died this morning. I immediately called Emotiva and was told they will fix it for free. All I have to do is pay to ship it to them in the proper box. Unfortunately I have misplaced the box and had to buy one from Emotiva. Emotiva is sending me a new one with a prepaid UPS label for a total cost to me of $60. Had I not lost the box my out of pocket cost would have been only the $30 shipping charge. I have already printed the return label and am waiting for the box to be delivered. UPS says I should get it on Wednesday.

I have one system that's completely integrated. That I can still play music is one of the main reasons I've clung to separates. My two channel music system is essentially untouched by this failure. Had I been using any type of receiver I'd be without music until it was returned from being serviced. Part of the reason I've posted this is to give Emotiva their "props".

What is the warranty on the unit? It is nice they are fixing the unit but concerning that it died after only two and a half years. Where are you shipping it to?

You had problems with it from day one and did not exchange it or get it serviced? Really? Do you often spend over $1000 on something and dont demand it works? If indeed it had "handshake" issues from day one with any source, then it was defective, period. And as for your claim that the RX V377 sounds "about the same"........If a $300, 70 wpc Yamaha sounds the same as a $1100 Marantz then the Marantz truly was defective. Not that that Yamaha is bad or anything, but one of my brothers has a 6006 and it is an ass kicker.

Issues were intermittent and I kept blaming everything but the AVR. Google Marantz HDMI handshake problems.

I quoted a lot to reply to a little part, but usually there is a Smartphone app that will run remote control functions on newer units. The cal mic, well, yeah, not much substitute for that but those usually cost less than the OEM remote. Think I paid $25 for one. Well worth it to me, but then HT is one of my "things". I couldn't care much less than I do about wasting money on tape decks, tuners, and turntables. ;)

I'm still running a Pioneer VSX-816. One of the last models built without HDMI. Bought it new and have never had any issues with it except noisy speaker relays. Pulled it apart and cleaned them up about 2 years ago.

What is the warranty on the unit? It is nice they are fixing the unit but concerning that it died after only two and a half years. Where are you shipping it to?

IIRC the warranty is five years. It's being shipped to Franklin TN.

I called their service department, described my problem and was told they would fix it for free. I also have an XDA-2 which was purchased around the same time. It's working fine. Had I been using a receiver my room would be silent while repairs are in progress. Using a pre/pro as an addition to my two channel system means I'm not without music. Not being without music because I don't use a receiver and Emotiva's fast friendly service department were my two points.

As for equipment failures; Before buying the UMC-200 I tried two Outlaw 975 pre/pro's (paid a restocking fee) neither of which I could get to work properly.

IIRC the warranty is five years. It's being shipped to Franklin TN.

I called their service department, described my problem and was told they would fix it for free. I also have an XDA-2 which was purchased around the same time. It's working fine. Had I been using a receiver my room would be silent while repairs are in progress. Using a pre/pro as an addition to my two channel system means I'm not without music. Not being without music because I don't use a receiver and Emotiva's fast friendly service department were my two points.

As for equipment failures; Before buying the UMC-200 I tried two Outlaw 975 pre/pro's (paid a restocking fee) neither of which I could get to work properly.
Thanks for the reply. I understand your point. I get around that problem by having two systems in the front room and two more in the bedroom.

My two and a half YO UMC-200 died this morning.
Mine failed during a severe thunderstorm. It was connected to a Tripp Lite surge protector, but Mother Nature still took it out. My experience with repair was exemplary - free and quick repair of the unit. We just listened to the Samsung's built in amp and speakers for a short time. My audio systems are completely separate, so that didn't impact them.

As for boxes, I keep all of mine. Even the coffin sized crates for the SL speakers. Last year, I sold a 1981 Threshold Stasis 3 amp I had purchased new. It was sold with all original packing and manual. :)

Thanks for the reply. I understand your point. I get around that problem by having two systems in the front room and two more in the bedroom.

Having a bunch of speakers and/or multiple systems doesn't work for me. Most especially it's not worth the effort if you're using separates. I have one system with four speakers (2 front and 2 rear) optimally placed and four subwoofers in a dedicated acoustically treated room. Until I can find a reasonably sized (small) center channel speaker that timbre matches any type of planar speaker I'll soldier on with a phantom center channel. For two channel playback the rear speakers, processor and amplifiers are simply not engaged. For HT/surround playback I use a bypass on my two channel preamp that allows the pre/pro to control everything.

Mine failed during a severe thunderstorm. It was connected to a Tripp Lite surge protector, but Mother Nature still took it out. My experience with repair was exemplary - free and quick repair of the unit. We just listened to the Samsung's built in amp and speakers for a short time. My audio systems are completely separate, so that didn't impact them.

As for boxes, I keep all of mine. Even the coffin sized crates for the SL speakers. Last year, I sold a 1981 Threshold Stasis 3 amp I had purchased new. It was sold with all original packing and manual. :)

When I first called Emotiva I told the technician I had the box for the UMC-200. I usually keep boxes. However, the UMC's box managed to get away from me. I have boxes for most everything else. Rest assured the box I just paid $30 for will not disappear.

About ten years ago a lightning strike took out a Tripp Lite surge protector. Fortunately nothing else was effected.

Having a bunch of speakers and/or multiple systems doesn't work for me.
Having multiple systems is part of maintaining marital bliss for me. There are times when wifey is playing her shows on the HT while I'd rather listen to music upstairs or in the garage. :)

I think that the idea is to buy something that will always suit your needs and never need replacing. Something that can be used for A/V and defeated for 2-channel stereo use. Pro-logic Dolby without the processors and added gadgetry. In the case of A/V receiver’s less is more...and simple is astounding. I’ve got DVD, CD, LP, XBOX, cassette, satellite box, EQ hooked up to an old standard....a Pioneer VSX-D1S. If all your equipment hooked up to a TOTL receiver is TOTL or modded you’ll get the best experience irregardless of what happens to be popular at the time. The simplest circuitry is best for the reproduction of frequencies and that is what we are all doing....

...The simplest circuitry is best for the reproduction of frequencies and that is what we are all doing....

I agree, generally, we are all trying to get good sound.

Where I disagree is the simplicity/complexity thing. Frankly, I couldn't care less if there is a bunch of complexity to a system/component, as long I perceive a net improvement.

Having multiple systems is part of maintaining marital bliss for me. There are times when wifey is playing her shows on the HT while I'd rather listen to music upstairs or in the garage. :)
I meant having multiple systems in the same room. In addition to my main system I also have a modest 5.1 setup using an HT receiver in my bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom