Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

I would start looking at in-wall solutions from DefTech or Martin Logan. With the right setup and proper (stylish) room treatments you'll never miss the big ugly boxes. That plus the silence is worth the trouble and cost.

I would start looking at in-wall solutions from DefTech or Martin Logan. With the right setup and proper (stylish) room treatments you'll never miss the big ugly boxes. That plus the silence is worth the trouble and cost.

OP is a renter, so I'm sure the next tenants will enjoy his lease-hold improvements... :)
He'll never miss the expense and the damage deposit.

Chip

It could be worse. Remember the movie "A Christmas Story" when the Dad gets the "Leg Lamp" and proudly displays it in the front window of the house for all the neighbors to see? Yea, it could be worse.......

BillWojo

It could be worse. Remember the movie "A Christmas Story" when the Dad gets the "Leg Lamp" and proudly displays it in the front window of the house for all the neighbors to see? Yea, it could be worse.......

BillWojo

Oh wow I was just thinking about the leg lamp and I couldn't remember where it came from! Awesome. I want one.

A old friend asked me about speakers so he could hear the TV better and use a powered sub. Wife made him get rid of the big floor models long ago because of size. Realistic Nova something. I don't recall right now. They were just to big. I gave him a Klipsch Quintet outfit and showed how to connect it all up. The next time asked how they sounded, never used them. Still to big. So I showed her a sound bar and she said ugly! So still TV speakers they have a hard time hearing.

Barney

I think we've beaten up on Homer enough, don't you? Poor guy. Writes in to his favorite hifi site to seek a little support after his wife lands a left hook (granted: deserved), I give him unsolicited marital counseling, others tell him how ugly his speakers are, and still others pee on his white console. What kind of cruel counselors are we, anyway? Job himself didn't catch this much grief.
GDM, it's a good thing I'm currently not sharing an office at work, because you literally had me laughing out loud with your response. Well done!

No she knew I'd bought them because I told her. She knew everything! Even wanted to come with me on the road trip! Then she saw them set up.......

The womans aesthetics function kicked in and she saw red.......

Well, its been a good run but unfortunately you have to get rid of them.

Wife I mean.

This subject came up here with my local circle of friends..... one husband was complaining that his wife hated his new towers.... For once I felt this tremendous sense of pride and appreciation for my wife I said in a kind way, “ya know I really appreciate that about my wife, she really doesn’t care what Speakers I have” with like no lag in time the third friend said without missing a beat...”Yeah but your not aloud to turn them on”

It was crushing... she does get bent out of shape when I listen to them often.

By the way OP, we can be friends and all but your wife and my wife can never meet.

This is why I have multiple systems; bedroom, kitchen, parlor and garage / workshop. She is fairly tolerant but I don't push my luck. The garage / workshop setup looks like something that belongs in a bad 1950's sci-fi movie. No wife, and a lot of men would ever let it in their home. However, it's powerful enough to cause sterility and kill small animals.

Have you considered renting a unit in an industrial park? I knew a guy who did that and he made the rent each month by running illicit poker games.

My wife never had a problem with any of our audio “stuff”. One of her girlfriends moved into a new house and she witnessed her tell her husband how it’s gonna be!

Like outta nowhere my wife told me she hates our audio gear showing. The set up in the first pic was supposed to be temporary. The thing holding my gear is from an old house where it used to be wall mounted. It sat like this temporary for like four years.

She complained about the audio gear... so I sadly said I understood and i’ll Come up with a way to fix it. Here’s how it did look.

JS26uoP.jpg

What I did is repurpose hurricane Irma;s window plywood and build this in the garage... one day she went to work and I did not. This happened. Now I have Atmos 5.1.4.
Not done yet... but it’s getting there. Now keep in mind.. I did this for her. And I reminded her of that when she discerned there was a whole in the wall lol.

tjpD04Y.jpg

GABnbFM.jpg

uz6ayFF.jpg

4QtFRY9.jpg

ojRv17W.jpg

My wife never had a problem with any of our audio “stuff”. One of her girlfriends moved into a new house and she witnessed her tell her husband how it’s gonna be!

Like outta nowhere my wife told me she hates our audio gear showing. The set up in the first pic was supposed to be temporary. The thing holding my gear is from an old house where it used to be wall mounted. It sat like this temporary for like four years.

She complained about the audio gear... so I sadly said I understood and i’ll Come up with a way to fix it. Here’s how it did look.

JS26uoP.jpg

What I did is repurpose hurricane Irma;s window plywood and build this in the garage... one day she went to work and I did not. This happened. Now I have Atmos 5.1.4.
Not done yet... but it’s getting there. Now keep in mind.. I did this for her. And I reminded her of that when she discerned there was a whole in the wall lol.

tjpD04Y.jpg

GABnbFM.jpg

uz6ayFF.jpg

4QtFRY9.jpg

ojRv17W.jpg
You built another one on the left right? To hide, I mean "hold" her knick knacks? :rolleyes::biggrin: seriouly, nice work!

JS26uoP.jpg

tjpD04Y.jpg

GABnbFM.jpg

uz6ayFF.jpg

4QtFRY9.jpg

ojRv17W.jpg

Absolute genius work there! I'm so stealing the drawer pull idea. It's so CLEAN. How are you going to hide those hideous Ohm Walsh speakers now? Or are those the other ones that I always mistake for Ohms?

You built another one on the left right? To hide, I mean "hold" her knick knacks? :rolleyes::biggrin: seriouly, nice work!
The left side is built in the garage but I haven’t installed it yet. It will contain surveillance, network and the rest is Blu-ray and Ultra Blu-ray storage. I intend to automate both of them with shade motors.

You guys put up with a lot from your wife's. My wife works nights while I work days, so she gets plenty of quite time during the day, I get listening time during the evenings. She gets home fairly late so just in time to spend a little time together, and reflect on what went on during the day.

This subject came up here with my local circle of friends..... one husband was complaining that his wife hated his new towers.... For once I felt this tremendous sense of pride and appreciation for my wife I said in a kind way, “ya know I really appreciate that about my wife, she really doesn’t care what Speakers I have” with like no lag in time the third friend said without missing a beat...”Yeah but your not aloud to turn them on”

It was crushing... she does get bent out of shape when I listen to them often.

By the way OP, we can be friends and all but your wife and my wife can never meet.

LOL So your wife allows them to be seen but not heard. Hilarious! :rflmao:

So what is on the other side of your lounge wall? The garage? You are lucky to have that for the audio gear to live in if so. No normal wall cavity would be deep enough to house that! Nice work.

Did your wife look at your handy work and then complain that the paintings were not to her liking? ;):naughty:

Back
Top Bottom