McIntosh MA252

welcomdmat

I believe I may have a late December addition to my system.

Has anyone learned more about the MA252? My focus is on the phono stage.

It seems to me that McIntosh has created an integrated amplifier focused on analogue playback. Does this mean that they have put the better part of their budget to the phono section?

I have learned that some tubes are better in a phono preamp while others are better served in a tube amplifier. With the MA252 having a tube preamp and a solid state amplifier, has McIntosh created this model as a phono preamp attached to a solid state amplifier?

If this isn't the case, what is the end goal? Is there a thought of greater market penetration by removing the sophistication found in some of their separates?

My end goal is a great phono section with the least complexity.

This new product does make contemporary marketing sense to me as a prestige upgrade from small space compact digital source systems. What speaker choice does Mac recommend for it?

Well, it promises to deliver "tube" sound to a small footprint 100W solid state amp. and definitely a "prestige" upgrade, which is part of McIntosh's appeal/marketing strategy. But will it deliver sonically? I'd like to take an extended listening session, comparing to an all solid-state Mc integrated. With and without the balanced inputs for digital sources.

My thoughts continue to be with the analogue focus of this piece. If it is so that I plug a basic DAC into one of the inputs to get a level of Mc sound, I think it is an interesting piece.

If it is a top phono stage with some additional flexibility, that is something totally different.

I am not thinking a MP1100 attached to a basic solid state amp, but I am wondering the McIntosh thought of something similar.

I don’t know if that makes sense.

Well, it promises to deliver "tube" sound to a small footprint 100W solid state amp. and definitely a "prestige" upgrade, which is part of McIntosh's appeal/marketing strategy. But will it deliver sonically? I'd like to take an extended listening session, comparing to an all solid-state Mc integrated. With and without the balanced inputs for digital sources.

I am interested in the sound compared to Mc solid state sperates as well. Where is the line of upgrade compared to introduction to McIntosh gear?

In the end, I guess I am trying to have someone tell me to upgrade. I have a C712/ MC2100 set in very good shape. I play a fully done-up KAB Technics 1200 though it -- and that is all.

I am listening to Tubular Bells right now, and I am enjoying it. All I am looking for is someone to tell me to upgrade!!!

I am a simple man...

Oh, and I am a simple man on a modest budget. I was looking at a comment about a man peeing down both legs to upgrade. I don't want to be at that point

Last edited:
My understanding is the the MA252 is basically a MA5200. They added some tubes and removed the DAC saving $1000 on the cost.

I am trying to research the MA5200.

I guess if I was in the market for a classic naked minimalist Mac stereo power amp, I'd consider an MC754, but I'm already heavy with good s/s amps in that class.

I guess if I was in the market for a classic naked minimalist Mac stereo power amp, I'd consider an MC754, but I'm already heavy with good s/s amps in that class.

I have a MC2100 in very good condition. I don't really want to replace it with something so similar.

A MC754 is a newer option, but my current amp as been taken good care of.

The MA252 interest is a new piece to create a pretty minimal, record focused system

It's an intriguing offering with a definite market niche.
What bothers me is that Mac describes it as their first hybrid integrated, it isn't, and I don't know why they'd do that.

I believe it was Master Po who regularly had to remind young Caine to be "patient young grasshopper".....

It would seem this is likely a made for emerging Mac markets both overseas and via the net......I would wait to see how it washes out....In 1979 our first MA6200 started smoking 10 minutes after I hooked it up.....stuff happens even with Mac.

It's an intriguing offering with a definite market niche.
What bothers me is that Mac describes it as their first hybrid integrated, it isn't, and I don't know why they'd do that.

Most likely the new marketing brigade has never seen a MA230 let alone played one.

Nope,
Ron-C

Well, I will quit my research into the 5200. Thank you for the update. Rumors do spread quickly, and especially when they come a source only one (or two) steps below ron-c.

And they are trying to sell me a MA252

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom