Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

My wife is cool! She bought me my Music Hall 9.1 for my 50th birthday.We are on the same side.I feel for those having difficulties in this area of their relationship

So what is on the other side of your lounge wall? The garage? You are lucky to have that for the audio gear to live in if so. No normal wall cavity would be deep enough to house that! Nice work.

Did your wife look at your handy work and then complain that the paintings were not to her liking? ;):naughty:
It’s a 2x6 Wall. So 19.5” Wide right in the wall where you see the gear. Then it jettisons into the garage 18” and 24” Wide. I insulated the top, bottom and sides and use an automotive gasket around the back so I can take down an insulated back. It exposes all the wiring that way. There a fan built into each shelf and a return box above that circulates back into the ac of the family Room.

pPg4M48.jpg

Here’s the back off when it was about half wired up. Since then I added shade wiring, some lighting, network to devices and some 12v triggers.

It’s a 2x6 Wall. So 19.5” Wide right in the wall where you see the gear. Then it jettisons into the garage 18” and 24” Wide. I insulated the top, bottom and sides and use an automotive gasket around the back so I can take down an insulated back. It exposes all the wiring that way. There a fan built into each shelf and a return box above that circulates back into the ac of the family Room.

pPg4M48.jpg

Here’s the back off when it was about half wired up. Since then I added shade wiring, some lighting, network to devices and some 12v triggers.

Lucky garage placement! My garage butts up to the dining room, so that's a no-go. Nice amp! I've got the first generation 750 which I bought to power the DefTechs. Built like a tank.

Keep grilles on them, go to paint store and pick up some black paint and supplies...when she asks what you are doing, tell her you are going to paint the back wall BLACK along with the TV Stand so all the equipment won't be as noticeable. When she says, "NO", ask her what color she would like that would make her happy. Then let her choose a New color for accent back wall that she would like so she too is involved in the decor.

Or, wrap them up and stick them in garage until you move!

I've decided I do not want to go through the headache of boxing them up. They are just far too big and heavy to go through that again.

It was bad enough unboxing them!

Last night I tried to sweeten her up by playing one of her favorite bands (INXS) and then saying how amazing they sounded on good gear. I managed to get her singing along so that's a good sign!

Also the couch swap we did may have cheered her up going by the amount of cushions on it. There are six of them on a 2.5 seat couch, three each side and me in the middle is all there is room for on it now!

Cushions on a couch.....is there anything more useless? :dunno:

Last edited:
Many years ago I purchased a pair of large tower speakers which did not thrill my wife. I will add that I gave her no advance notice, I had an immediate opportunity to grab them at a bargain price and I went for it. (Will note that this was 21 years ago and I still have them)

Then I bribed her. Told her that she could spend up to $400 (in 1996 dollars) on anything she wanted. She took it. That solved the problem.

Yep every time I make the bed and have to put 2 European pillows, 3 normal pillows and 4 cushions on it I wonder what the heck I'm doing it for (apart from keeping the other half happy).

My partner had a perfect bedroom with a bed just like that. Then she met me and realized the bed had other uses...

Those European big-ass pillows now belong to the cat, outside, on the back deck. :)

Reading things like this really crack me up. Compare me to my current wife's ex-husband and I'm like a saint...literally. She knew my "hobby" and tinkering self before getting married and I can assure you, she doesn't have room to gripe about my trivial stereo things, music, etc., in comparison to the non-stop crap I put up with with her idiotic family, her ex husband and his family (my step sons' dad...true idiot), her past debt and problems, etc., etc., etc. I love her and all but if she got much more gripey, needy, and bitchy than what a red head can already do, I'll just take my toys and go do this by myself. Life is to short to sweat the small things. Yes, there is compromise and those things should be hashed out in the beginning or at least have a place to put larger than normal stereo things or the over abundant hoarding some people (on here) seem to do. If you're single, no worries. If you've got another half, that's another story. She's good with me building a pair of Klipsch Belle clone speakers that will go in the living room once done. But I included her in that she gets to help decide on what to finish the ribboned mahogany veneer in. Within the next year, we'll be in a new (bigger) house that will have a separate room for my things and she can do what she wants in the living room since she thinks she needs to rearrange the furniture every 4 to 6 months. That's fine....I'll be listening to music in another room. :)

A couple things my dad and grand father both taught me about women when I was a kid. "Never trust anything that can bleed for 5 days and live"...."If a woman didn't have a pu**y, there'd be a bounty on their a$$" There are more but I'm sure that would tick off some people. My wife and I get along for the most part after 4+ years of marriage. But I'm 51 now and like I've told her, I made it just fine 46 years before you, I can make it fine on out without you if need be. I've been married before this one. She was a whole 'nother bottle of wax.

But take all of this with a grain of salt. Just my view on things and we are all different.

This picture pretty much says it all...

db328-men-vs-women-turn-them-on.jpg

Last edited:
Not to knock women since I like them more than men in every way.My fisrt wife and my dad did not see eye to eye and when he died I ended up with his boat.It had some stupid sign/plaque that said 'once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken'.She said that sign is going.Twenty years later Ihave the boat the sign and I have been married to my awesome second wife for 16 years.We do get along with my ex very well which is good.I had a daughter with my first wife and now a 15 month old grandson and that is great.Cheers

Last edited:
Went through the same thing with my Ex Wife. She hated the big speakers I bought and put in the living room without telling her. I do and did see her point, but she never understood or appreciated my love of audio equipment at all and in a way she brought it on herself by not letting me put in the 5.1 speakers in the living room that she actually bought me.

My new girlfriend understands that the speakers and the stereo are not negotiable. I've learnt that... Buy your stereo equipment before you move in and if you do... Buy it BIG. That way if you downsize she'll be appreciative. My new girlfriend asked if she could replace my current KEF R900 with something smaller. I said sure... and showed her a pair of KEF Reference 1. They're only bookshelves but the price seems to have silenced her for now.

Also a bigger TV does wonders in shrinking speakers.

"Never trust anything that can bleed for 5 days and live"...
I'm still cracking up over this one liner, but my wife is pissed at me for repeating it, ROTFL! :rflmao:

Compare me to my current wife's ex-husband and I'm like a saint...literally. She knew my "hobby" and tinkering self before getting married and I can assure you, she doesn't have room to gripe about my trivial stereo things, music, etc., in comparison to the non-stop crap I put up with with her idiotic family, her ex husband and his family (my step sons' dad...true idiot), he past debt and problems, etc., etc., etc. I love her and all but if she got much more gripey, needy, and bitchy than what a red head can already do, I'll just take my toys and go do this by myself. Life is to short to sweat the small things.
I hear you my brother, couldn't have expressed it better myself!

Haven't heard you comment on how they sound now after the change of amps.
If you really don't care for them move them on and you can improve things in more way's than 1.

Maybe I missed it, but has your opinion of the sound changed?
Has your bride read this thread? That seems like it might be a productive conversation starter.

We've seen lots of pics of the speakers, none of the wife. You may have to do a simple A/B comparo, and decide which looks better in your room...and sounds better?

Back
Top Bottom