Speaker woofers moving out of sequence

pjrengineer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello

i am having an issue possibly with home wiring that is causing my woofers to move no matter what source is (lp, aux) approx .5" - 1" when volume is very low or sometimes when volume is turned all the way down. When music is playing it is not moving to the beat of the music. Someone suggested a power conditioner. Any suggestions?

I'm using a Sony integrated amp and dlk model 2 speakers. I have had similar issues with a different amp.

House has old wiring but new panels.

Thanks.

If it was only happening when using a turntable, I would guess it's an acoustic feedback problem, where the turntable is picking up vibrations from the speakers or other ambient vibrations. Since you say it's happening with all inputs even at low or zero volume, I would be checking the DC offset of that amp to make sure DC isn't getting to the speakers.

If it was only happening when using a turntable, I would guess it's an acoustic feedback problem, where the turntable is picking up vibrations from the speakers or other ambient vibrations. Since you say it's happening with all inputs even at low or zero volume, I would be checking the DC offset of that amp to make sure DC isn't getting to the speakers.

This.

Yes, tell us about your sources - only a TT or do you have others, and if there is more than one, does it happen with all of them?

I'm using a Sony integrated amp and dlk model 2 speakers. I have had similar issues with a different amp.

House has old wiring but new panels.

If you've tried 2 different amps, with the same results, were both vintage amps? Strange, as the others have mentioned, I'd think you have a DC issue too. Just odd that both amps exhibit the same thing. I'm not sure I'd use the system until you find a cause. Maybe get the house wiring tested. Something might be weird on your mains?

Been down this road... Turned out it was the sensitivity of the cart. My dampening foam in the table was just old and any table movement would cause the drivers to jump around. Replaced the dampening foam and bingo!

we're all ignoring that he said he multiple amps doing it - that's just into bizzaro land, so I'm not giving it much credence either.

Before I believe that, I'd like the OP to swap another amp in and check - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

My money is on the Sony amp - I think the other amp is a misinterpretation.

i am having an issue possibly with home wiring that is causing my woofers to move no matter what source is (lp, aux) approx .5" - 1" when volume is very low or sometimes when volume is turned all the way down.

As previously mentioned.

When looking at this, the above is important. Note the OP has stated it happens on sources other than the turntable and it happens when volume is turned all the way down.

The first step is to disconnect everything but the speakers from the amplifier. If the problem still exists, then it may be an issue with the amplifier (check the DC offset voltage, although there could be other causes), the AC mains supply or EMI/RFI.

If the problem goes away, then reconnect each source one at a time (turntable, what is connected to the AUX input and so on), noting when the issue reoccurs.

IIRC the DLK 2 speakers are a ported speaker. At frequencies below the tuning frequency of the speaker, the woofer is decoupled from the speaker cabinet. This can allow large excursions of the woofer cone with relatively low power.

My instinct would be to measure dc and then hunt upstream.

Replace the PSU caps.

Pray to the electron God.

Kick it.

Ooops I missed that in the original post that it happened with all sources. I was reading too fast. Odd.

I used to get a slow in-out-in over a few seconds when I turned my receiver on (1980 Sherwood bought new) and I'm sure this was just a DC transient on the outputs while the power supply came up. It didn't keep going although it was impressive to look at. I started leaving the speakers off until the power supply warmed up for a few seconds.

We don't know what the Sony amp is, does it have a rumble filter? If so, turn it on and see if it helps.

Have you replaced or switched out all interconnects? Are all the devices on one wall receptacle?

What preamp/amp?

In one room I'm having issues with:
Sony ta 1080
Pioneer sx 1080
(I know there's a theme here with the 1080...lol)

In other room not sure if it's on same circuit or not kenwood no issues and another room sansui no issues.

Back
Top Bottom