Driving a line level input with the preamp output

Olecranon

Is there any issue or undesirable consequences with driving a line level input on a receiver with a variable level pre-out from a preamplifier? For example, is distortion higher?

Am I fine if I match the volume level from the preamp to something connected directly to the receiver?

Short answer, in general it will work fine.

Longer answer, there are some that believe that anything that is added to the signal path (such as the ability to vary the signal level) will degrade the sound quality and the method of implementation of the variable signal can play a part.

Source and load impedances may play a part depending on the design.

unless i missed something it is the regular way it is done .

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I have a pre-out from a preamplifier connected to a HT receiver line level input. The receiver also has a volume control. It's like daisy chaining two preamps together before amplification.

I have a pre-out from a preamplifier connected to a HT receiver line level input. The receiver also has a volume control. It's like daisy chaining two preamps together before amplification.
While that will work, a more traditional and simpler way to do that would be to use the tape output from the preamplifier to the HT input. That avoids extraneous controls and potential of overdriving the input.

Gain is fixed and should be of sufficient level.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Yes, and each preamp will add distortion to the signal. E-Stat provides a much simpler solution... Rec Out to Aux In on the HT receiver.

Further, depending upon your preamp, some preamps will pass the audio signal to Rec Out even with the preamp turned off.

Regards,
Jerry

Out of curiosity: how bad is the distortion resulted from stacking preamps?

And if you set one preamp to unity gain while controlling the volume from the other, would the distortion be still noticeable?

Not true - you're adjusting the receiver's line level INPUT with the pre-amp output, and adjusting the receiver's OUTPUT with the volume controls. Oft desirable to give just the right signal level at each main leg of the audio chain. I also adjust line levels via software on the HTPC media server, and ditto on the DAC. A little tweak here and there can go a long way towards improving overall sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom