Why The Velvet Underground’s landmark debut album still resonates after 50 years

I would think Lou Reed doing "Heroin" on Lucky Strike's Your Hit Parade (or Ed Sullivan) pretty slim. Otoh, I think I remember "How much is that Doggy" being done by Patty Page.
Different times, fondly remembered by many, but not all that great for others.

Anyone else have the acetate boot? My copy has a green banana on the front cover and the Peanuts gang as the VU on the back. Sound quality is terrible, as you might imagine, but it's interesting to hear such raw renditions.

For some reason this album has eluded me over the years. I have a 1972 radio broadcast off WLIR here in NY of Lou Reed in a small studio, a set that features both Heroin & I'm Waiting For The Man, among others. More than satisified my early Lou needs. As a matter of fact, I offered to burn a copy for him after meeting him and Laurie Anderson at a restaurant here in NYC. He laughed and said he was surprised people still listen to that old stuff.

Anyone else have the acetate boot? My copy has a green banana on the front cover and the Peanuts gang as the VU on the back. Sound quality is terrible, as you might imagine, but it's interesting to hear such raw renditions.
Is that the same material as on that Peel Slowly & See boxset?
I'm not the biggest VU fan, but that box is a real gem from back when such things were released more often.

For some reason this album has eluded me over the years. I have a 1972 radio broadcast off WLIR here in NY of Lou Reed in a small studio, a set that features both Heroin & I'm Waiting For The Man, among others. More than satisified my early Lou needs. As a matter of fact, I offered to burn a copy for him after meeting him and Laurie Anderson at a restaurant here in NYC. He laughed and said he was surprised people still listen to that old stuff.
That's so cool.
Those are the kinds of stories that will live with you forever when you meet a 'famous' person. I've got a few of those myself, and I'll cherish them a lot more than any simple autograph.

After reading the article and posts, I had to give it a listen. I have an early West German CD.

The music never really did it for me. But being an artist, I really dig the album cover.

Back
Top Bottom