Suddenly Having Frequent Buffering Interruptions With Tidal

musichal

poet emeritus
I'm talking long interruptions, up to a full minute or even more, and multiple times in a three-minute or so pop tune - like a dozen or more. Nothing has changed with my PC or other ancillary devices. My PC is responding as quickly as ever for other purposes. Began yesterday.

So I'm getting unlistenable service for $20 a month. Sent Tidal a message. Last time I sent them one, they never responded, and I expect similar results this time, but maybe they'll surprise me with some sort of message explaining it's my equipment. That is what I anticipate, anyway. Because it's easy. We'll see.

Will cancel soon if I can't use it. Damnit. Down to Pandora Free now. At least it is reliable, and has a much better user interface, imo.

Last edited:
So I'm getting unlistenable service for $20 a month.
And this is why I don't fall into the streaming trap, services can get slow for all sorts of reasons, Could be the internet provider, your hardware, computer, WiFi, Viruses, Java or whatever makes the shit work, Tidal

I'm not experiencing any trouble w/ Tidal .... for reference

1. Using their desktop player ... the web player gave me some drop out issues.
2. Ethernet cable.

Agree on the router usually being the first thing to look at.

I had to upgrade ours due to us having no cable anymore and streaming TV and music a lot. Had congestion issues before that.

And this is why I don't fall into the streaming trap, services can get slow for all sorts of reasons, Could be the internet provider, your hardware, computer, WiFi, Viruses, Java or whatever makes the shit work, Tidal

Blah Blah Blah....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Eric

Blah Blah Blah....GET OFF MY LAWN!
Weird reply and a wast of Bandwidth, I have computer and digital technology in my systems and my whole house is net worked together. Would also wager to say that it surpasses yours in advancement and keeping up in SQ. I just don't rent music, and depend on outside services to provide it, IMHO that's a wast of money.

I’ve been streaming Tidal all afternoon. No buffering. Pandora this morning. No buffering. I’d suspect router or ISP.

Weird reply and a wast of Bandwidth, I have computer and digital technology in my systems and my whole house is net worked together. Would also wager to say that it surpasses yours in advancement and keeping up in SQ. I just don't rent music, and depend on outside services to provide it, IMHO that's a wast of money.
Yup, your opinion. Some people like the variety and convenience streaming offers.

you might want to do some deep research and check the software chain from BIOS levels
on up through the Windows audio stack. not to mention whatever tidal supplies. the later
windows versions tend to be better and will have all sorts of drivers (ASIO, etc) and tweaks
and settings, ...

@musichal Which streaming level of Tidal are you using? Have you tried dialing it back to the lowest quality level to see if it is maybe the connection?

I don't know which way you are accessing it, but Tidal comes in two flavors--through a web browser, or through the application for your computer. (Phones/tablets can download an app.) One may work better than the other. Their interfaces are very similar.

It has worked fine here with no buffering. I often use it through my main system (with Ethernet) but have no issues streaming HiFi through the Chromecast in the kitchen on a mediocre WiFi connection.

But like others mention, start with a reboot of the router, run a speedtest, indicate which version you are using (browser vs. desktop) and at least that will give us a baseline to help us out. And if you have any other device in the house to try it on, that might weed out if it's a hardware or OS issue.

you might want to do some deep research and check the software chain from BIOS levels
on up through the Windows audio stack. not to mention whatever tidal supplies. the later
windows versions tend to be better and will have all sorts of drivers (ASIO, etc) and tweaks
and settings, ...

I might want to, if we spoke the same language.

For some reason, it began working normally again. Perhaps my PC was being scanned by Defender, or something else was interfering. Will see whether it happens again.

I will never have streaming as my sole music source no matter how much content they have. It is fine for auditioning purposes, but to rely on the whole chain of things, from the streaming company to the web to my ISP, down to my router all working correctly is too dicey for anything so important to me as my music!!! :no:

I was having some lag/drop issues Last Thursday, but then TIDAL wanted me to do an update, I did it and I have not had an issue since.

My desktop version did the same last week. Maybe whatever it was, affected computer versions only as the app versions I was using did not have any issues, even with my currently weak WiFi signal. (One of my WAPs crapped out on me.)

I've had the occasional drop-out from Tidal, but always suspected my equipment. It almost always happened when listening to double/triple or more albums.

I have a dedicated music streamer for about 3 weeks now and haven't had that problem since.

and settings, ...

For some reason, it began working normally again. Perhaps my PC was being scanned by Defender, or something else was interfering. Will see whether it happens again.

Bob gave me the willies with that...:)

I'm using both Tidal and Spotify. Whichever one I turn on has a single 5-10 second dropout after about 2 or 3 minutes of play, then run fine for the rest of the session. Since it's just the one "warm up" blip, I overlook it for now. If it gets worse, I'll see if I can lure Bob over to the house.

If there are other processes going that use a lot of resources that certainly could play a part.

Probably the reason is more simple than more complex.

I have a dedicated music streamer for about 3 weeks now and haven't had that problem since.

This. I've been using Sonos for years. Buffering? Dropouts? What are those? Lol. I would never go back to using a PC for music reproduction, especially a Windoze PC.

Back
Top Bottom