sansui 8000 blowing lights

The dial lamp power comes directly from a secondary winding of the transformer. If the input voltage is correct, there is not much you can do.

You're right, there's not much you can do other than change out the transformer. The concern is that all the transformer output taps are putting out too much voltage. That will stress components down stream.

I checked the fuse voltage as before ACV is 9.5 at F-03, F-02 and F-01 are 55.5 ACV.
Are you reading these voltages on power supply board F-2808? If so, you should have 7.5 V AC at F03 and 43 V AC at F01 and F02. These values are both more than 20% higher voltage than the specification. The ratio of overage is almost identical for both of those values. That would make me very nervous.

Check the A/C voltage on the fuses on the other power supply board, F-2807. If they are also 20% high, you either have a bad transformer or you line voltage is 20% high.

- Pete

The other fuse voltages are from front of unit to back. yellow 40acv, 56 acv, 56 acv, 40, 54, 54.

Without color or fuse number reference it's hard to tell what is what, but all of those voltages are too high. The yellow wires should be 32v, the brown, 45v and the blue 43v.
Your values are actually higher than what is specified for a G-9000 and it has almost 50 watts more power output. Here's the power supply schematic for a G-8000. It contains the specified values for each of the transformer outputs.

I've never seen anything like this so I don't have a good recommendation but at these voltages, stuff is going to over heat and fail.

- Pete

Attachments

• G8000 Power supply.pdf
    408.1 KB · Views: 6
Since it is a G-8000 and finding a transformer will be next to impossible, I sure would!

Quite a learning experience here. After speaking with a tech friend he suggested revisiting the voltage selector plug which I did and found it was actually int he 100 v setting. After plugging it in the 120 volt section, I now have 7.6 acv feeding the lamps and the other voltages have dropped very close to the schematic voltages.

Quite a learning experience here. After speaking with a tech friend he suggested revisiting the voltage selector plug which I did and found it was actually int he 100 v setting
Yikes!

Good spotting here too - hopefully it hasn't been on that setting for too long, as too much voltage can shorten life of components.

It had to be something like the voltage selector. Just too weird for a transformer fault to raise all the output voltages by the same percentage. The difference between the 100V setting and the 120v setting is right around 20%, the same as the increase in output voltage.

It's a good thing it blew the bulbs. Without that tip, you may have had catastrophic failure with this over voltage.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom