Recommended vintage speakers under $300?

husar

I have a modest vintage system. Gear is as follows.

- Pioneer YP-211 Turntable
- Kenwood KD-2077
- JVC JA-55 Integrated Amplifier
- JVC JT-V77 AM/FM Stereo Tuner

I currently have some Polk speaker that are not vintage. They are the RT55s I've had since 94 I think. I am in the market for a set of speakers under $300 not including shipping. My media is pretty much all vinyl unless I add an 8-track or reel to reel in the future. But those will be mostly to keep going with vintage gear. It will be 99% vinyl even after I add those components.

If it helps my listening room is a living room that has two stories open. About 20 feet or so ceiling. Maybe 17 x 25 feet with an opening to the second level up top. Lots of cubic space is what I am trying to say.

I have been looking at a few different speakers on eBay but I don't want to influence anyone suggestions so I won't say brands. I like something 3 or 4-way with 10" or 12" for the low end.

After a few suggestions I will mention what I have been looking.

Thanks for the advice!

Bozak B 302a - lots of information here on AK. They are big, so search local resources like craigslist electronics or garage sales. Condition makes a difference, so a critical listen is required. Anticipate that some updating is required. They are efficient too. Bozak has larger models, so you might be lucky and score one of these.

That's a good size room.
Wood, rug or hard floor?
Certainly buy local with a car pickup because speaker shipping is horrendously expensive now.
Something effiicient will be your key for that amp, 10-12 inch drivers at least and something with a decent vocals mids and hig end.
Old Pioneers like CS and C 99's are like 96db efficient, have drivers that last a long time and are built very durably.
RTR is a speaker outfit from the 70's that few remember that were decent.
Older JBL's and Klipsch can be real efficient and they'd certainly light up your room with only 30-40 watts. But not usually for <300 anymore.
Older bigger B&W speakers are good as are Inifnities but some models are power hungry and only 84-86 Db... Bring at least a 120 watt amp.
Ran a pr of these for a few years on different little SX and SA Pioneer receivers and amps and liked them before needed the space.
Hooked a friend up with them to the JVC receiver she needed all hooked to her tv and NASCAR of course....
jvc.jpg pioneer c77.jpg
She loves music and is still using them with a plant and #3 Earnhardt model on top
Just build stands and lift 10-12 inches off the floor and some away from the wall and they sounded quite ok..
Not the "slamming bass" like a JBL or Klipsch but a "louder AM radio" midrange to them
Some bass-shy the old Pioneers but matches with little sub ok..

If you want to stick with the Polk family you could go with either Polk Monitor 10's or 7's. Other common vintage speakers in that price range that are competent performance;

Large Advents
Dynaco A-25
EPI 100
Early KLH

$300 might be a tough ceiling, especially given where you live. Most large speakers that would work great in your room are tough sells due to shipping costs so they go for lower value due to local sale. Buying locally is a big bonus, if your area has an active market for used gear. Living not too far from the DC-Metro area has netted me several really good deals on larger speakers because I could use local pickup. Some of my finds that would work well in your room and under your budget have been the JBL L7, but you'll need a beefy amp. They go cheap due to their size but will play with new speakers ten-times the cost. Good luck!

The Rectilinear Highboys would be good. The problem will be fining a pair locally.

Klipsch KG4 would be another good choice, and easier to locate. They are less expensive than Heresys, Fortes, Cornwalls, etc., but still very efficient, play loud and have good bass.

Time Windows

Of course, your volume requirements might mean you need an efficient speaker, Big ADS can do that but blow the budget unless you find em at the right price. I did, others have but it isn't a case of setting your sights on a particular speaker more accepting what is available and meets your performance requirement when looking at the more expensive vintage speakers.

What about the Sansui SP2000? I read a couple reviews of them. Reviews seems 50/50 but seems more a preferance thing than a bad speaker. I’ve never heard them personally. They are 299 on ebay with 100 to ship.

Attachments

• 73F2BA41-5A39-4C20-8ABC-F6F0C0323341.jpeg
    73F2BA41-5A39-4C20-8ABC-F6F0C0323341.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
What about the Sansui SP2000? I read a couple reviews of them. Reviews seems 50/50 but seems more a preferance thing than a bad speaker. I’ve never heard them personally. They are 299 on ebay with 100 to ship.

Not in the same class as the others mentioned and way overpriced at $299 + $100 shipping, You can do a lot better for that money.

On the other hand, if you see a pair of Sansui SP-L800 or SP-L700 in your price range, snap them up without hesitation.

Why do you need a 4 way speaker? Why do you need a big woofer?

Isn't the sound quality what you would be wanting to get from the speaker or are you looking for specific 'bragging rights' which is just fine, too.

How loud do you need it to play
What kind of music will you be enjoying
Do these need to pound you in the chest?

I would drop a quarter ($25) on AK subscription and buy local (Omaha to the Quad Cities) so you can maybe listen to them instead of having them shipped.

You should check out DCM Timeframe 1000 or 2000. Those will fill that room and sound fantastic. Easy to drive, too.

Isn't the sound quality what you would be wanting to get from the speaker or are you looking for specific 'bragging rights' which is just fine, too.

I would drop a quarter ($25) on AK subscription and buy local (Omaha to the Quad Cities) so you can maybe listen to them instead of having them shipped.

I'd also recommend the OP figure out how far he's willing to drive (maybe calculate how far he can go round trip on $100 worth of gas - the minimum he'd probably pay to ship anything of size he might win on eBay) and start scanning all the Craigslist listings within that range. If he's willing to drive someplace like Kansas City, or Chicago he'll have a lot more to choose from.

BTW, there's a pair of those same Sansui SP2000 on the Kansas City Craigslist for half that total. Still too expensive IMHO.

What is the AK subscription you mention?

Of what I am familiar with, ADS L880 series 1 and 2. These are 10" three-ways of 89 db spl efficiency. Very nice for jazz. Not sure if you have enough umph for them in that large room. Especially if you want Led Zeppelin's concert level. Might not be speaker for you, if for Zep.

Of what I am familiar with, ADS L880 series 1 and 2. These are 10" three-ways of 89 db spl efficiency. Very nice for jazz. Not sure if you have enough umph for them in that large room. Especially if you want Led Zeppelin's concert level. Might not be speaker for you, if for Zep.
The ADS L880 is rated at 89dB, not 80 dB.

TE="darkblue94, post: 11027032, member: 211147"]The ADS L880 is rated at 89dB, not 80 dB.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I hit wrong key on phone. Corrected it. I think the L880 is only average efficiency. Maybe more efficient speakers or larger amp for such large area.

Back
Top Bottom