JBL LX5 crossover and N7000

demenplk

JBL LX5 crossover and N7000
I have JBL C60 Sovereign: Bass LE15A Mid LE85 PR15 075 (All 8Ohm). I started restoring the speakers. I don't known connect between LX5 and N7000. The LX5 with an LE85/HL91 with the polarity to the HF section reversed Please help me.

The hf out from the LX5 goes to the input of the N7000. I don't believe anything should be reversed.

i dont known LX5: pin 3 - 4 (HF)? Pin 3: Red And Pin 4: Black input N7000 or Pin 3: Black and Pin 4: Red input N7000?

Most typical arrangement.

Input + to LX-5 Red Terminal (on lower right)***

Input - to LX-5 Black Terminal (on lower left)***

Woofer + to Outter Low Freq output on LX-5

Woofer - to Inner Low Freq output on LX-5

Input + of N7000 to Outter Hi Freq output on LX-5

Input - of N7000 to Inner Hi Freq output on LX-5

Midrange Driver + to Outter Low Freq output on N7000

Midrange Driver - to Inner Low Freq output on N7000

Tweeter Driver + to Outter Hi Freq output on N7000

Tweeter Driver - to Inner Hi Freq output on N7000

***The speaker is actually reversed polarity from what is conventional (i.e., the woofer pulls in when positive is applied to the positive terminal rather than pushes out). To correct for this (typically when used with other speakers as in an HT set-up or just to maintain "absolute polarity" assuming it is not being inverted elsewhere in the system), you would wire the amplifier's + to the speaker/crossover's black terminal and vice versa.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network Schematics/LX5.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network Schematics/N7000.pdf

Thanks L200B and Toddalin very much,

My speaker is attachment image, since i bought it. And it is Mid LE85 not right 375.
Input + to LX-5 Red Terminal (on lower right)***
Input - to LX-5 Black Terminal (on lower left)***
Woofer + to Outter Low Freq output on LX-5
Woofer - to Inner Low Freq output on LX-5
Input + of N7000 to Outter Hi Freq output on LX-5
Input - of N7000 to Inner Hi Freq output on LX-5
Midrange Driver + to Outter Low Freq output on N7000
Midrange Driver - to Inner Low Freq output on N7000
Tweeter Driver + to Outter Hi Freq output on N7000
Tweeter Driver - to Inner Hi Freq output on N7000

I config Tweeter Driver wrong?

Please help detailed guide to me.

Attachments

• N7000.JPG
    N7000.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 57
  • LX5.JPG
    LX5.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 51
It looks like you have the red and black reversed on the LX-5 before it goes to the N7000.

As I said, what I described seems to be the most typical arrangement, but there are cases where it may sound better the other way.

Either way creates peaks and nulls and the room can come into play as to what is best way to wire it to get the best sound in the seating area.

For many years I had mine wired as shown because it seemed to produce a smoother curve on the Behringer. But changing the wires, as I recommended, seems to bring out the vocals better and this is what I prefer. So, at least in my setting, this affects a node in the vocal range that increases/removes intelligibility.

BTW, I did this by setting the crossover up so that I could sit in the seating position and reverse the phase to the horn, then the tweeter, back and forth with a toggle switch, so that I could instantaneously A/B them, and went though many hours of disks just listening to the minute differences.

Last edited:
For many years I had mine wired as shown because it seemed to produce a smoother curve on the Behringer. But changing the wires, as I recommended, seems to bring out the vocals better and this is what I prefer. So, at least in my setting, this affects a node in the vocal range that increases/removes intelligibility.
It's easy enough to try:thumbsup:

I have been listening for about 2 years. When I changing red and black reversed. The sound of midrange frequency will change. Pin 3 Red Pin 4 Black: the sound of Midrange is too low if Pin 3 Black Pin 4 Red: the sound of Midrange is too Hight.
it is not balanced. Maybe the amplifier for me is not very good or Mid LE 85 run 500Hz, it is't compatible Tweeter Driver 075 run 800Hz

I think mis-wired drivers can cause midrange suckout especially if the drivers occupy different baffle planes.
As toddalin said, connect wires according to which phasing sounds best.
Better sound with tweeter and mid out of phase to each other, especially that horn and tweeter combo?

Hi Tubed,
Which brand of speaker cables do you use?

I have customized you for N7000. The sounds is better, still experiencing it

Last edited:
I can't find information this Zipcordion Speaker Cable. I think it compatible the vintage speaker. I want to buy and try it
Really nothing extraordinary, my friend.
14 to 16 gauge copper wire, oxygen-free common speaker wire.
The speaker thickness to accommodate JBL LX5 speaker terminals, in this instance:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom