Marantz 2230 phono buzz when turntable connected to power

sploofer

I have an unusual problem that I can't find a solution for.

My Marantz 2230 will produce a buzz while in phono mode. It will only produce the buzz when RCAs are plugged into the phono. If RCAs are not plugged into the phono, the buzz will go away.

I found that if I connect my turntable to the 2230, then unplug the turntable's power, the buzz significantly drops. Is this a grounding issue? The part the puzzles me is that the buzz will also show up randomly and then disappear the next day.

I have an unusual problem that I can't find a solution for.

My Marantz 2230 will produce a buzz while in phono mode. It will only produce the buzz when RCAs are plugged into the phono. If RCAs are not plugged into the phono, the buzz will go away.

I found that if I connect my turntable to the 2230, then unplug the turntable's power, the buzz significantly drops. Is this a grounding issue? The part the puzzles me is that the buzz will also show up randomly and then disappear the next day.

Your 2230 probably has a grounding screw on the back of the receiver near the Phono inputs. You need to ground the turntable to the receiver. My Technics 1200 turntable has a black ground wire with a lug spade running along with the RCA plugs for this purpose.

Your 2230 probably has a grounding screw on the back of the receiver near the Phono inputs. You need to ground the turntable to the receiver. My Technics 1200 turntable has a black ground wire with a lug spade running along with the RCA plugs for this purpose.

The turntable has been grounded, it's something else.

Im doing a 2230 at this time...read my thread as I had mystery buzz's. I still get one from the TT when its plugged in and OFF due to what it does to the cartridge.

Do yourself a favour and service your phono board. It has 2sc458's on it - junk. I've also seen that main cap coupling ground to power go bad 100uf 50v - also some vd1212's that should be replaced with double diodes. Service is properly and the hum should go away. Put new transistors on the board, caps and diodes.

The turntable has been grounded, it's something else.

It might be worth a look at the inside ground solder joint of the TT, not just the ground lug. My 1200mk2 had a hum to it even though it was grounded to the preamp. Drove me nuts until I took the tonearm off the 1200 and saw a bad solder joint. Reflowed it and no more hum

Yes could be the TT as well. Still I don't trust those old components on that board if it hasn't been redone.

Do yourself a favour and service your phono board. It has 2sc458's on it - junk. I've also seen that main cap coupling ground to power go bad 100uf 50v - also some vd1212's that should be replaced with double diodes. Service is properly and the hum should go away. Put new transistors on the board, caps and diodes.

I've actually recently had this serviced, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

This sounds weird, but this mystery buzz only appears during the evening, right around 5pm. I've never heard it during the day.

Last edited:
To add to this, I want to clarify it's not the turntable. I've switch out my Marantz for my Pioneer receiver and no buzz what so ever.

Ive seen this happen sometimes if the headshell wires aren't connected right. Double check em.

hm sorry just noticed you said it work on the pioneer. That's probably not it then. Sounds like a bad transistor. The buzz only happens when you are on the phono setting? Have you tried switching to other inputs? If so does the buzzing follow?

Ive seen this happen sometimes if the headshell wires aren't connected right. Double check em.

hm sorry just noticed you said it work on the pioneer. That's probably not it then. Sounds like a bad transistor. The buzz only happens when you are on the phono setting? Have you tried switching to other inputs? If so does the buzzing follow?
Buzz is only in the phono stage

BK is right. Get rid of those 2sc458's on the phono board. They are known to fail buzzy. On one other occasion I had a friends have a 2sc1000 on the phono board go flaky. (Fix a lot of Marantz stuff for friends around here. I'm practically a charity lol)

Hey Sploofer,

Were you able to fix your buzz problem? I have an audible starting at 12oclock position onwards. Also gone when you take out the rcas in the back.

Hey Sploofer,

Were you able to fix your buzz problem? I have an audible starting at 12oclock position onwards. Also gone when you take out the rcas in the back.

I had that happen once. It was a bad ground on the cable, nothing wrong with the amp at all.

Try rotating the power on the TT plug 180 degrees, with non-polarized plugs it is easy to not have neutral and hot synchronized. I had a buddy with 2285B with the same issue and that solved it.

Back
Top Bottom