What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Hey @Delmarva, remind me. Your copy of Schubert's 10 symphonies. Is that on the Philips label?
Indeed it is...and it's tremendous. Mega thrift shop score. If I recall correctly you had picked up the compact disc version of the same Phillips release a few months ago.

1982 Phillips R215 041
https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Ac...le-Marriner-The-10-Symphonies/release/3959704
007.jpg

001.jpg

008.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Pearce is a reputable guy. I'd never heard of him till this box set's release. In all honesty, I never paid much attention to that sort of minutia till here recently. For me it's like, I want it, it's for sale, I'm buying it, I'm happy with it.

I saw a special on the resurgence of vinyl. He explained the pro's of 1/2 speed mastering. He did the Remaster of Black Sabbath Vol4. Sounds excellent. Been around for awhile. I pay attention to this stuff as I want the best sound possible. Mastering comes into play, Especially LP's

Indeed it is...and it's tremendous. Mega thrift shop score. If I recall correctly you had picked up the compact disc version of the same Phillips release a few months ago.

1982 Phillips R215 041
https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Ac...le-Marriner-The-10-Symphonies/release/3959704
007.jpg

001.jpg

008.jpg

Thanks, Frank. Yes, I do have the CD version. I was curious, and wanted to see if it was the same set of recordings. It appears that it is, containing the same fragments as yours. You may remember that my copy has 6 CDs plus a booklet in a double CD case. It was a work of art persuading that many disks to fit, and I'm taking the advice that was offered at the time, and treating it with extreme care, since a replacement 6 CD case will probably not be easy to come by.

So you pick up a disk, nothing special, cheesy looking portrait of the composer on the front. Famous composer's greatest hits. that form of words is an instant turnoff for me, but at least it's Handel, who seemed incapable of writing a bad tune. Have a look at the spine, and it's CBS Masterworks. OK, now I'm getting a bit interested.

So who are the artists performing these "greatest hits". Holy Shit! It's everyone who was ever anyone: Philadelphia Orchestra/Ormandy - Mormon Tabernacle Choir - E Power Biggs - London Phil/Boult.

I'll take this one as a win, and play it next

Handel's Greatest Hits

Thanks, Frank. Yes, I do have the CD version. I was curious, and wanted to see if it was the same set of recordings. It appears that it is, containing the same fragments as yours. You may remember that my copy has 6 CDs plus a booklet in a double CD case. It was a work of art persuading that many disks to fit, and I'm taking the advice that was offered at the time, and treating it with extreme care, since a replacement 6 CD case will probably not be easy to come by.
The seventh and final LP has mentions of fragments. I'll assume that it represents an 11th unfinished symphony?

Last edited:
The seventh and final LP has mentions fragments. I'll assume that it represents an 11th unfinished symphony?

Possibly. I don't know. I'll take a look at this and report back. I never got around to listening to these disks, having become paranoid about inadvertently wrecking the case.

I'm not familiar with the D numbers which seem to be used to classify Schubert's work. Something else I'll have to take a look at, and which might throw some light on the fragments. My CD case calls them "symphonic fragments". Looking at the case, only 10 symphonies are listed, so it appears that the fragments are indeed the 11th.

Since it seems to be traditional to die after having composed one's 9th symphony, I'm assuming that Schubert tried, and failed, to beat the odds. He probably should have spoken to Mozart, who managed 40+ symphonies, even though he died young.

Edited for corrections of composition numbers

Back
Top Bottom