Recommended vintage speakers under $300?

There are a few of these on ebay but zero any place I could listen before buying. These are top on my list I think unless someone thinks the Sansui SP2000 are a close second.
A properly working pair of Rectilinear IIIs are levels better than the SP2000, imo.
Here's a stereo review by Julian Hirsch from back in the day(vintage) where the IIIs were compared favorably with the renown Quad ESL 57.
I've also come to that conclusion based on the same comparison.
A properly functioning III Highboy is very hard to find fault but relatively easy to find, ymmv.
http://sportsbil.com/stereo/rectilinear-db/lowboy-review-hirsch-2-1972.pdf

Ones that I have personal experience with and like that you don't have to get extra lucky to find: KLH Twenty Three, Rectilinear III. Both are nice, the latter seems to have a little more bass extension.

Large Advent, KLH Seventeen, KLH Six, Realistic Optimus-1 all get my vote.

BTW, the Optimus-1 speakers are the "sleeper" of the bunch ;)

If you subscribe you get a year of benefits. One of thee is the buy and sell forums called Barter Town. You can surf the offerings or put out a wanted to buy and get flooded with responses ranging from a guy nearby with a pair of good speakers to folks on each coast looking to unload something for a few bills more than your budget. I don't know why folks offer up those higher priced units so far away in your particular BT thread other than to let other folks see it.

Of what I am familiar with, ADS L880 series 1 and 2. These are 10" three-ways of 89 db spl efficiency. Very nice for jazz. Not sure if you have enough umph for them in that large room. Especially if you want Led Zeppelin's concert level. Might not be speaker for you, if for Zep.

Thanks
I'd also recommend the OP figure out how far he's willing to drive (maybe calculate how far he can go round trip on $100 worth of gas - the minimum he'd probably pay to ship anything of size he might win on eBay) and start scanning all the Craigslist listings within that range. If he's willing to drive someplace like Kansas City, or Chicago he'll have a lot more to choose from.
yes to Kc and Chicago. I’ve started looking at both areas now.

What is the AK subscription you mention?
For $25 you can become an AK Subscriber. This gives you access to Bartertown, a classified ad section visible only to subscribers. A good place to buy equipment from other members, rather than someone you don't know at all.

I noticed you’re in Iowa. In my experience, you’re going to have to be pretty patient if you want to find a specific model of speakers locally. I’m somewhat local to you, if you want to hear several types of speakers let me know. It may help you decide what kinds you like and should be on the lookout for.

I’ll second the recommendation to become a subscriber.

I noticed you’re in Iowa. In my experience, you’re going to have to be pretty patient if you want to find a specific model of speakers locally. I’m somewhat local to you, if you want to hear several types of speakers let me know. It may help you decide what kinds you like and should be on the lookout for.

I’ll second the recommendation to become a subscriber.

For sure. Let me know where you are at. Message me.

Yamaha NS-670! Actually, Yamaha NS-500m's are a great value with the beryllium tweeter and can be had in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom