Today's JAZZ playlist

bennygolson_groovinwithgolson.jpg

Benny Golson: Groovin' With Golson

The Complete Gershwin Songbooks 3 CD.jpg
The Complete Gershwin Songbooks ‎(Box, Comp + 3xCD, Comp) Verve Records, 314 529 152-2
Library sales are the best for picking up items like this. I doubt I'd ever pop full price for this or ever look for this in a record store, but at a couple of bucks, I'm in! Good feeling too, even though I contributed a millionth of a cent to buy it the first time, I gladly got to "buy it" again.

Picked up this mono New York pressing last week. It's one of those "transitional" Liberty pressings—everything looks original, except there's no deep groove or "P" in the dead wax. Sounds great! It's interesting...there are definitely aspects of an avant-garde vibe here, but also the familiar feeling of classic, straight-ahead hard Bop. The sense that Jazz is on the cusp of big changes is palpable...

Alto Saxophone – Jackie McLean
Bass – Eddie Khan
Drums – Anthony Williams
Trombone – Grachan Moncur
Vibraphone – Bobby Hutcherson

R-1187678-1327363471.jpeg.jpg

Tal Farlow!! Another giant of a guitarist. Almost literally. He was a man of large stature. His hands were huge and he could get some really big stretches for wide intervals. But a gentle giant he was. Great player, great man.
Man, what a lineup on that!!

Julian Lage Group - Gladwell 2011
View attachment 1046650

Credits
This guy I am not familiar with. But I will be thanks to you!!

Back
Top Bottom