Trigger has been pulled and a New Outlaw RR2160 is here.

Decide to do a little listening today. Got the sub crossed over at 60 Hz where the LX16's drop off. This takes place by a switch on the back. Easy peasy. Tried it at 80 Hz, 60 is better. Also tried analog vs optical outs on the CD player. Optical sounds better. Started of with Stings Ten Summoners Tales. It's easier to discern the individual instruments and here I'll jump ahead on the play list. Playing Heart Shaped World by Chris Issac the track Wicked Game at the beginning there's a triangle in the right channel not very loud but as soon as you hear it you know what it is. I had never heard it before and I've played it a lot. Summoners Tales is a reference CD that I'm very familiar with and the sound stage is nice and wide with good instrument placement. The last song starts out with everything in the middle and when the rest of the instruments come in it expands outward, never really noticed that before. A good tell for me was when Shape of My Heart started it was so impressive that I felt emotion well and my eyes moisten, it sounded really good. Next up was the LP AWB from who else but The Average White Band. Now I can say this is the quietest phono section I've ever heard but the one caveat is there no adjustment for your MM or MC cartridge so with a low output MC like the Denon 103 you have to compensate with volume so it's good that the phono section is quiet. I need to listen to more LP's before I come to a conclusion on the phono section. Heart Shaped World is right in this receivers wheel house. It sounds wonderful. In Blue Spanish Sky the guitar strings chime and sustain are spot on and Wicked Game that's one of the sexiest songs out there and the sound was lush just like it should.

So far so good. Do I wish it had a some of the Luxmans tube like quality. Sure but that's what the Luxman is for. The RR2160 is a different animal and a very capable one. There will be more as I explore it's capability's further.

Internet radio!! Yeah!!
Got the Outlaw a week ago. For internet radio it requires a lan connection and there's not one in the room. I really wanted to use this feature so after some research I found a N300 wireless repeater/router with lan hookups. Cost 19 shipped from Amazon. It came today. I managed to get it setup right the first time, works great. The receiver registered successful hookup in about 10 seconds. There is literally the world out there. It will take a while to learn to navigate smoothly. Not the easiest through the receivers small display but it'll get easier with use. Best of all it sounds good and I'm sure some stations sound better than others but this is going to be fun.

Good Station. Has to be. They played some John Prine.
38289757851_731de7d246_h.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you exploring the receiver's capabilities. Having only RJ45 for Ethernet is not necessarily a limitation. There's more than one way to skin a cat. :thumbsup:

-Dave

Any more updates? Has it changed much after burn in? Really like all the features and remote.

Seems a bit smoother. The sub crossover settings are very handy and I love the internet radio. The remote is a good solid pieced of kit and easy ţo get used to. This thing is a steal at 800 bucks.

I read the review in Stereophile. Just wanting a first hand opinion. :)
I using separates and tubes now. I'm getting lazy and would like to simplify my system. This would sure make it easy.

How well does the tone defeat work? I see you have it activated in the pic.

Works welI. I think it sounds better with the tone controls cut out of the circuit. I just about never use tone controls anyway and run them at the neutral position if there is no way to defeat them.

It's nice to see some quality gear with mere mortal pricing.

I really don't think there's better bang for your buck out there.

I think I need one of these since finding a nice Mac 4100 seems to be impossible for a reasonable price. Thanks for posting.

Had one of those that I bought from member JohnVF in unrestored condition and didn't like it much. The better sound and the reliability of new would put me firmly in the Outlaw camp.

Some don't like the styling but I thought they looked good. That's a lot of button's
38430297282_9c3e961b74_b.jpg

Last edited:
I been using the headphones tonight Sennheiser HD 202. Definitely entry level phones but good ones. So far I've found that cranking the headphone level all the way to the right and use the volume control, sounds better and you can use the remote to control the volume. Listening to Alligator radio on Tune-in. Sounds great

Congratulations. I had the previous version until it got a spike in a T Storm. I loved the unit. Great piece and company. Thanks for posting.

I'm glad you are able to compare the 4100 to the 2160. I have a 4100 that I love, but wanted another. I think I'll try the 2260 when I have a chance.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Outlaw a few months ago. It had everything I wanted and more and was ever so close, but unlike you I couldn't resolve having to look at its shiny Deco face everyday. If it was available in black to tone it's looks down I would have made the purchase. I'm glad it meets your expectations. I did pull the trigger on the Consonance C-100 Plus integrated amp used, which is a Hegel H1 amp behind the faceplate. It's basic controls and remote have me desiring the Outlaw's functionality. Hoping they offer a black on in the near future.

I've contemplated changing the color of the face but I don't mind it as much as some. It's sound more than makes up for anything I would niggle about

You got yourself a nice receiver. I hope that the naysayers don't get you down. Enjoy the music! :beerchug:

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom